997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Fuel Cap replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM
edmcnulty is on a distinguished road
Fuel Cap replacement

Has anyone replaced their fuel cap? I am thinking of replacing stock cap with aluminum look but do not want to get in over my head. Easy DIY? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:14 AM
spgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nicespgmfo is just really nice
I've done it. Got the Porsche aluminum one. Easy and only takes about 2 minutes.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Great. How did you do it?

Old 01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by edmcnulty
Great. How did you do it?

That bit with the ring around the old one, getting it off and back on is some work if I recall, but it will come off. Or maybe you just connec the new retainer to the car. For some reason, I recall keeping the old retainer, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Here is an an alternative in real Al.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:10 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by spgmfo
I've done it. Got the Porsche aluminum one. Easy and only takes about 2 minutes.
It's plastic with an aluminum look.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:15 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by stevepow
That bit with the ring around the old one, getting it off and back on is some work if I recall, but it will come off. Or maybe you just connec the new retainer to the car. For some reason, I recall keeping the old retainer, but I could be wrong.
The new alum comes with a new "ring" that goes around the cap. It's literally a few minute job

Old 01-29-2011, 06:16 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It's plastic with an aluminum look.

Do you have one - made of plastic? If so, you got ripped off. The one Porsche sells is metal.

It is an Aluminum shell around plastic - the the outside is metal. I think this is best as it is light and seals well. Of course everyone knows better than Porsche...I am sure the provided plastic one is actually fine. The over-priced vanity cap is like a lot of other things - unecessary but looks cool.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Do you have one - made of plastic? If so, you got ripped off. The one Porsche sells is metal.

It is an Aluminum shell around plastic - the the outside is metal. I think this is best as it is light and seals well. Of course everyone knows better than Porsche...I am sure the provided plastic one is actually fine. The over-priced vanity cap is like a lot of other things - unecessary but looks cool.
I think that the Porsche Tequipment one is plastic - see HERE.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !

Do you have one - made of aluminum? If so you got ripped off. The one Porsche sells is made of plastic.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Cool cap!

Originally Posted by adias
Here is an an alternative in real Al.
Thanks Adias,

Ordered a MaxSpeed in silver for my '09 C4S Cab yesterday.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by adias
I think that the Porsche Tequipment one is plastic - see HERE.
So it is - my bad. I still thinks it's fine. No worries about dents or dings then. Cool.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 AM
So it is - my bad. I still thinks it's fine. No worries about dents or dings then. Cool.
We are all a little bit crazy aren't we? I have the plastic version - $140 for something that maybe I see once a week during a fill-up and even less often for those not driving much. It's a sickness.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I suffer from the same illness.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cap replacement