997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2005 Porsche Carrera Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:41 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JohnM
shark, just a quick advice, I was going to buy a friends C4S a few years back and it had an engine with the IMS design. I asked him to send an oil sample to blackstone, and they said that something was failing. He took it to protech in NJ and they found that the IMS was ready to fail. He got a stronger one put in for a few grand. It was the first time that the oil analysis ever prevented some catastrophe that I ever heard of! I was glad that I did not buy the car before he found out and got the fix.
So, give blackstone a try. It is no guarantee, but it worked for my friend and saved him a stack of cash.
What do we look for in the oil test results? Out of respect to the OP, I am going to start a new thread on this.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:57 PM
dallas8888 is on a distinguished road
I think for Porsche, as long as their cars are selling they won't care. The wife is going on her 4th BMW and loves them. BMW cars look and drive awesome. Reliability sucks compared to a Honda but she loves them anyway. I think BMW and Porsche sell based on looks and reputation more than anything else.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM
2fas4u is on a distinguished road
Cool and?

Originally Posted by dallas8888
I think for Porsche, as long as their cars are selling they won't care. The wife is going on her 4th BMW and loves them. BMW cars look and drive awesome. Reliability sucks compared to a Honda but she loves them anyway. I think BMW and Porsche sell based on looks and reputation more than anything else.
Exclusivity! imho.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
The overall reliability of the 911 is terrific. In fact Consumer Reports has the 911 as recommended it their most recent Annual Car issues. It has only become more reliable over time. To this point, Consumer Reports called the 911 the least reliable back in 2006.
2006 Consumer Reports Least reliable (Worst score first)
Pontiac Solstice*
Mercedes-Benz SL
Mercedes-Benz CLK
Mercedes-Benz SLK (V6)
Chevrolet Corvette
Porsche 911 Carrera
Ford Mustang (V6)

Additionally, the 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera reliability score of 10.0 out of 10 is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS).
The TUV report from last week said, the 911 is the most reliable 10 to 11 year old car on the road (better than Honda )made car on their roads. I think there is some question about a 911 being more relaible than an Accord, but in general, the news is they feel the 911 is very reliable. Besides, IMHO, 911s are more fun to drive than Accords.

TÜV-Report 2011, 10-11 year old cars
Least % of Complaints first
1 PORSCHE 911 9.5%

2 TOYOTA RAV4 10.0%

3 TOYOTA YARIS 16.8%

4 TOYOTA AVENSIS 17.6%

5 MAZDA MX-5 17.9%

6 MERCEDES SLK 18.1%

7TOYOTA COROLLA 18.1%

8 SUZUKI VITARA 18.4%

9 MERCEDES S-KLASSE 20.7%

10 HONDA ACCORD 21.0%

Last edited by DoninDEN; 12-16-2011 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:12 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
TÜV-Report 2011, 10-11 year old cars
Least % of Complaints first
1 PORSCHE 911 9.5%

2 TOYOTA RAV4 10.0%

3 TOYOTA YARIS 16.8%

4 TOYOTA AVENSIS 17.6%

5 MAZDA MX-5 17.9%

6 MERCEDES SLK 18.1%

7TOYOTA COROLLA 18.1%

8 SUZUKI VITARA 18.4%

9 MERCEDES S-KLASSE 20.7%

10 HONDA ACCORD 21.0%
now that is funny - a suzuki vitara is more reliable than Lexus? yeah right... it must be a statistic from dealership provided 'customer feedback' reports.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
now that is funny - a suzuki vitara is more reliable than Lexus? yeah right... it must be a statistic from dealership provided 'customer feedback' reports.
I guess the point is they are running in the same pack and not at the bottom, more so than the absolute value of the ranking.