997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New fixed wing - error codes

Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 AM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
Scoper and Gentlemen,

Sorry I've been off the board for the last several weeks... I've been trying to get my Wing put on my car since last December. With all the snow we've had up here in the GA mountains and missed work days, making up days, wing installation cost, etc... it hasn't been a huge priority.

Anyway, I got my wing installed this last Monday.

Sorry, no pics... I was waiting until this weekend for it to quit raining to get it washed and cleaned up for a picture.

I too got the error code, glad I found this thread... I talked to a service guy at Porsche who told me it would take 2 hrs labor and cost about $275 bucks to fix the code. He said they had to disconnect something and then reprogram... I don't know if he was intentionally misleading me as a naive customer, but I plan to show them these directions and hopefully this will be just a few minutes to fix and be A LOT cheaper.

Pics coming soon.

But WOW! The fit was fantastic right out of the box... again, Precision Performance, thanks to Tony Ugas. My body shop simply used a tape measure to reference the wing to my car, they did NOT do a test fit. The wing fits perfect.

They did have to manufacture some custom brackets thought which allow me to use my car's dual 3.6L air boxes.

Scoper, you mentioned in your PM that you were concerned about rain/water/debris getting into your airbox?

Anybody else have any problems?

I drove through the rain the other night, no problems.

I got lucky, they had just recently replaced a bumper on a Mercedes AMG and they kept the black grill/meshe from it and used that rather than the galvanized meshe that came with my wing.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Mark,

Glad to hear you got your wing installed finally. Regarding the rain/water question:

Just to test things, I left my car out in the rain for a couple hours one day to see what would happen. When I checked it later, I did see that several drops of water did hit the filter elements and had wet the filter slightly. Now I am not one to allow the filter to get "slightly" wet - from my point of view, airboxes are supposed to be dry.

I ended up talking with one of my friends who has a 996 TT with an EVOMS intake. The filter in that setup came with a "filter sock" which helps repel any errant drops of water that may make it through the decklid. I looked it up on the EVOMS website - they wanted $70 for a sock! And the 997.2 has 2 filter elements...

I ended up calling K&N directly to ask if they had anything that would fit the filters in the 997.2. The nice lady on the phone did give me a recommendation for one that fit perfectly (even though it's cut for a tapered cone filter). I ordered 2 of them ($30 each, free shipping) and they fit perfectly! Just had to make a tiny hole to pass the screw through that secures the element to the intake. I will post pics in a bit. With them on, water beads off without an issue, and I can rest easy knowing I can drive in a downpour (which I did yesterday).

Original air filter element

With K&N drycharger RX-4730DK
Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  26.9 KB

Mark, post pics of your wing as soon as you can!

Ron

Last edited by Scoper; 03-11-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: pics added
Old 03-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Mark Ducati will become famous soon enoughMark Ducati will become famous soon enough
I was sending some pics to Scoper of the wing installation... eh, the car's dirty, thought I'd post anyways:

Sorry... these are photo links from my FaceBook page, up until a month or so ago... all you had to do was click on a FB photo to enlarge it, then right click to get it's image location address, copy/paste... now FB enlarges the picture, but doesn't give you the big picture's address so you can't link to it.... at least I can't find the address link for the big picture, maybe its still there somewhere?

Small pictures... at least you can't see the dirt

Figured it out... had to hit the "reload" tab which put it back in the original configuration I guess....

Last edited by Mark Ducati; 03-11-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Scoper,

BTW... your silver 997 looks "almost" as good as my black one! hahaha...

Looks fantastic, your body shop did a great job on the fit and finish

Just curious, are you going to put a "911" designation or other on the back of your car now? In past I thought about painting my "911" numbers (they came flat black or silver, I chose flat black), I thought about painting them "Guard's Red"... but with black rims, black paint, black tint, black wing... I decided just to keep it stealthy and black. I thought Red might be too gaudy...

The numbers weren't real expensive... I can't remember where I got them from now, they were from a vendor here... they're genuine Porsche 911 numbers I think and were all of $20-30 bucks.... thought about painting them myself with a rattle can...

Anyways, Silver... I thought the flat black ones would look great on your car

Old 03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Your flat black 911 looks fantastic - wing too. Nice job.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed for future reference and thanks Scoper.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 AM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Thanks very much for this post

Originally Posted by v35
From the Aerokit Installation Instructions TSB 1/05 6658:

Connect PIWIS tester and switch on ignition.
Select vehicle and Rear control unit.
Select Coding, then Spoiler and code fixed spoiler.
Thanks very much for this post. I just had Tony from Precision Porsche install his GT3 Kit on my car & got the error message on my way home after hitting 75 mph. Now, all I have to do is convince someone at my dealer's service dept. to take care of it.

Old 05-21-2012, 06:16 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PorscheJoe
Thanks very much for this post. I just had Tony from Precision Porsche install his GT3 Kit on my car & got the error message on my way home after hitting 75 mph. Now, all I have to do is convince someone at my dealer's service dept. to take care of it.
Why didn't Tony take care of it?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
4dr-360 is on a distinguished road
Thread is very helpful, I just ordered full aero kit (after deciding to hold off on a Turbo for this season), I know I will get the error code, hope there's not much difference since mine is a 997.1

Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 AM
PorscheJoe will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Why didn't Tony take care of it?
Tony thought that the harness would take care of the error message, but he is very helpful & was going to call local dealer to find out. Fortunately, this forum answered our question.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
It takes literally 2 minutes to fix the code for the fixed spoiler. You have to have a PIWIS though.

The harness fixes the 3rd brake light not coming on when you hit the brake.

Nice looking car, Joe!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:07 PM
O31982 will become famous soon enough
maybe someone whos posted on this thread can help me please.

I purchased the cable look for a fixed wing and I also got my vehicle reprogrammed. I am still getting a 3rd brake light fault code. Any one know what might be the issue?

I am going to check all the wiring tomorrow.

Last edited by O31982; 04-19-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM
maybe someone whos posted on this thread can help me please.

I purchased the cable look for a fixed wing and I also got my vehicle reprogrammed. I am still getting a 3rd brake light fault code. Any one know what might be the issue?

I am going to check all the wiring tomorrow.

HERE IS A PIC i FOUND, THIS CONNECTOR IS NOT PLUGGED. IS THAT NORMAL?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	234264  
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Jam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud ofJam996 has much to be proud of
This is the connector for the 3rd brake light, simply plug it in.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Sorry, I didn't install it myself... Where does it plug into?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New fixed wing - error codes