997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Pre-owned 997 4S price? About to go to war at the dealer tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 AM
997BLIS is on a distinguished road
Negotiating is an art rather than a science. No two experiences are the same. That said, here are some tips:
1. Do not get emotionally attached to what you are buying
2. Relax, you don’t have to buy anything
3. Know the value of what you are buying
4. Set a maximum price you are willing to pay
5. Never exceed your maximum price
6. Be realistic, otherwise you are wasting everyone’s time
7. Understand that the dealership is a business and they have to make some profit
8. There is more room to negotiate on used cars than new ones
9. The goal is to come to an agreeable price, somewhere between the initial bid and ask
10. In the end, the price is set by a willing buyer and a willing seller
Good Luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TooSixy
The trick to get you to agree to their price is to get you to come down to their showroom so you can smell the car interior and take their bait. It happened to me many times before and I still haven't learned.

So if you are determined to buy the car at your price, listen to others and be ready to walk.
+1 Agree

Old 03-16-2011, 06:04 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChrisKaze
..and im not sure why this one isnt CPO ill make sure to ask tomorrow..As far as options, the big one was sports chrono. everything else like bose audio, dont really matter to me..
Ummmmm, the site you referenced via the CarFax says this car IS a CPO'd car & when you go to that site it shows all the options on the car, so what are you saying - did you READ the ad ?

as a side note : the dealership is also adverting a White '07 Turbo (the one with White Wheels) that I was looking at on-line but it was on Momentum Porsche's website - which is close-by this dealership - looks like they might be co-owned.. no big deal, just a comment

whatever - best of luck to you

another side note : just looked at Momentum Porsche's website and found the car you're looking at there too..(a meaningless curiosity..)

Last edited by MI55LE; 03-16-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I would buy 2 at that price...... prices in the NE are higher.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 AM
D-squared will become famous soon enoughD-squared will become famous soon enough
I'd be surprised if they went for anything less than $60k. I shopped around for six months, haggling with various sellers, for my '07 C4s before finding one in a great color combo with 11k miles in CA. Got it for $63 and was happy with the price. The car's in perfect condition and has all the extras. They're not going to take a loss on it, so it all depends on what they gave as trade-in. But good luck!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 AM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
If you want $52, wait another year -- then you'll be golden.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 AM
away will become famous soon enough
Agreed, wait a year. I'd be very surprised if you got it for near $52k.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by taylorcoleman
If you want $52, wait another year -- then you'll be golden.
+1, I will be shocked if you get it for $52K, put on your good walking shoes, b/c it looks like you will be walking out quickly. I've been looking somewhat, 07' C4S goes for around 58-65 depending on options. I would not get a non CPO Porsche, but it looks like this one is CPO'ed. TIP, not my idea of fun but if that's what OP wants then it appears to be a clean looking one.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
I call this the reverse hostage technique...

For my last car (sadly not a porsche) I tried beating them at their own game. I had already gotten a good quote via internet from the dealer. I went in about 1/2 hr before closing on a Friday to seal the deal. I was extremely nice and light hearted. Didn't get offended when they tried all the add ons, or when they tried to upsell me on chromed rims they'd already placed on the vehicle, etc. Just joked, laughed but held firm on my price. When the sales manager tried to screw me, I'd joking call my original sales guy and ask him for help, or I'd joke "let's put on another pot of coffee."

They wanted to go home more than me and by the time I got out of there it was past 11:00pm and they were worn out, but I got exactly what I wanted.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Mojo31 is on a distinguished road
They will always want you to come in, but that doesn't mean you are even in the ball park. I recently made a firm offer on a car and told the dealer that I would only come if that was acceptable. They said come on in, but when I got there we were miles apart. I didn't budge on my offer. They apparently wanted me to fall in love with the car and tried to work on my ego by saying things such as "Maybe this isn't the car for you" and "We'll call you when we get something less expensive." What they apparently didn't understand was that it wasn't about the money, it was about what I thought fair value was. I walked and bought a car elsewhere at a higher price (albeit one that I thought had more value).

One thing to keep in mind is that walking in with your own financing lined up does not give you more leverage. Since dealers make money off the finance side as well, you may do better in your negotiations if you agree to finance through them. You can use your other financing offer to negotiate rates. Tell them you will go through them if they beat the rate you can get elsewhere. There are some pretty good rates out there as well - I just got 3.29 for 60 through Porsche.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:52 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattyf

For my last car (sadly not a porsche) I tried beating them at their own game. I had already gotten a good quote via internet from the dealer. I went in about 1/2 hr before closing on a Friday to seal the deal. I was extremely nice and light hearted. Didn't get offended when they tried all the add ons, or when they tried to upsell me on chromed rims they'd already placed on the vehicle, etc. Just joked, laughed but held firm on my price. When the sales manager tried to screw me, I'd joking call my original sales guy and ask him for help, or I'd joke "let's put on another pot of coffee."

They wanted to go home more than me and by the time I got out of there it was past 11:00pm and they were worn out, but I got exactly what I wanted.
Good strategy. Folks also have to remember that "No." is a complete sentence.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
ksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to allksbenz is a name known to all
So how did you do?

Old 03-16-2011, 02:13 PM
crackberry005 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mattyf

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE!!!!!

my mom has done this before with cars and watches. what ends up happening is they want to leave waaaaay more badly than you do. so what ends up happening is that they fold because they get exhausted, hungry, and frustrated because they cant let a live one get away.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed - I know HBL, Arlington nor Tischer would be that SOFT on price.

Originally Posted by cesmorris
Good luck. Houston may be softer than our

area. But, headed into spring with a certified 997 C4S optioned well minus the wheels for $62K is reasonable. $52K seems lower than market to me.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM
BoxsterG is on a distinguished road
I highly doubt you will get the car at that price as I know all 3 dealerships here locally very well. I have purchased from 2 of them on a regular basis and one of them has the car you are looking at. I would suggest you choose to continue looking while attempting to negotiate online for this vehicle.
Since you mention you are not flexible you wont have to become so emotionally charged. Also you are trying to buy in spring as the weather is now beautiful here for us.

Good luck with the purchase!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pre-owned 997 4S price? About to go to war at the dealer tomorrow...