997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions from a C2S Cabriolet novice.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Vegasguy will become famous soon enough
Questions from a C2S Cabriolet novice.

The weather is finally starting to break here in Las Vegas, and it's time to put the top down on my '10 C2S Cabriolet. It is my DD, and my first convertible. Since I rarely have far to go, I only have the top down for a few minutes, and put it back up. I can't bring myself to leave the top down when I go into store or whatever. So I was wondering if a lot of "up-down" is going to take a toll on the top after a while. Hopefully, I might hear from forum members who've had Cabriolets for a few years, and can advise on any problems or issues with the top (and how to avoid them, if possible). Also, do you normally leave the top down when you park your Cab for a short while. Fortunately, I live, work, and play in a decent area, but I still worry about the car.
Thanks!!

Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
My cab is my daily driver, and I put the top down as often as possible, and back up when parked for any length of time, such as when in the office. So my top is likely put up and down at least once a day during the many days of good weather here in Orange County. When grocery shopping etc. I often leave it down if I'm only gone for 15 or 20 minutes. While I know that is a little risky, especially with a Valentine mounted near my rear view mirror, I haven't yet had any problems. Luckily I live in a relatively low crime area.

My top has a minor rattle which I think is coming from the hinge pin above my left shoulder. (That same joint is apparently leaving a minor grease mark on my top when stowed. I hopefully just have to clean the joint with a rag, but the mark will likely need to be "steam" cleaned.) I intend to take the car in some time to see if replacing the pin will eliminate the rattle, as I can't find any other reason for the rattle.

I think these tops are pretty robust, but would have to assume that the more cycles they go through, the more quickly things will wear. But I haven't seen or heard of any tops wearing out yet either.

Bottom line, I think you should put the top in whatever position you want whenever you want, so you get the maximum enjoyment out of the car. Nice looking car BTW.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
My 09C2SCab is a DD in the summer. I put the top up whenever I park. Unless it's a quick in and out. I have not had any issues yet. You're car is a 2010. I would not worry about it if I were you. It's under warranty anyway if something goes wrong. Why should you worry in the back of your mind when parked instead of enjoying your car both while driving or parked.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
For the minor rattle read this:

Do all 997Cab have roof rattles?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...f-rattles.html

Old 03-23-2011, 06:40 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
no worries

Old 03-24-2011, 07:08 AM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
My top has a minor rattle which I think is coming from the hinge pin above my left shoulder. (That same joint is apparently leaving a minor grease mark on my top when stowed. I hopefully just have to clean the joint with a rag, but the mark will likely need to be "steam" cleaned.) I intend to take the car in some time to see if replacing the pin will eliminate the rattle, as I can't find any other reason for the rattle.
Ken,

Definitely see post #13(by na011) in the link na011 provided above. My bolt (on driver's side) was loose too. Annoying as all get out b/c the washer on it would rattle on the slightest bumps. IIRC it's a T-30 head and definitely put some loctite on the threads when retightening or you'll get to repeat the re-tightening exercise often.

As for the stain, steam cleaning might be your best bet especially w/ a dark blue top. Raggtop definitely doesn't get it cleaned at least it didn't even make a dent in cleaning the stain on my grey top.

Good luck

PS to na011 - rep added for great info. wish I had searched for this when I was trying to find the rattle in my top but spot on to help others.

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 03-24-2011 at 07:14 AM. Reason: to give credit to na011