997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thoughts regarding a 05 911 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Thoughts regarding a 05 911 C2S

I sold my 2007 911 Turbo close to one year ago, which I greatly miss and was hoping to get back into a 911 (albeit one at a much lesser cost). I drove a very nice 05 C2S today with PCCBs, sport chrono, full leather, Bose which is listed at a ridiculous 59 grand (on consignement). I think I can get the car for 51,700 non certified, and may be able to swing it certified for a couple of grand more. It is a one owner car in very good condition with a very nice PPI including DME and no accident history. I was hoping for some opinions regarding buying the launch year of a 997.1 as well as comments regarding price. I have also attached a link to the car. All comments are appreciated.
Thanks again.

http://spokane.porschedealer.com/pre...67607/info.php

Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Fully loaded launch car in '05 is a nice piece. CPO is an absolute must. Most IMS failures on the M96 crank are found on low mileage examples. At 13k this car hasn't been driven enough.

Consignment cars are sometimes tough to negotiate because the dealer is going to keep a 6% ( estimate ) commish on top of the seller's expected margin.

If you can pick this up as close to $50k as possible with a CPO, I'd say you did ok.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
PCCBs might be more trouble than they are worth for a street driver. I think you could find a nicely optioned 06 or 07 for about the same price with CPO left. Unless it calls to you and you can't ignore it, it seems pretty high in price.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Fully loaded launch car in '05 is a nice piece. CPO is an absolute must. Most IMS failures on the M96 crank are found on low mileage examples. At 13k this car hasn't been driven enough.

If you can pick this up as close to $50k as possible with a CPO, I'd say you did ok.
Agree, 05' cars with low miles and at $60K with no CPO, is extremely overpriced. You can do a lot better.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:49 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by terpsred
PCCBs might be more trouble than they are worth for a street driver. I think you could find a nicely optioned 06 or 07 for about the same price with CPO left. Unless it calls to you and you can't ignore it, it seems pretty high in price.
Agree an 06 or 07 would be a better buy. I disagree about the PCCB's for a street car. I would avoid them if you plan on tracking but for street only, PCCBs will be fine and last the life of the car... or should.

Jason

Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
Agree an 06 or 07 would be a better buy. I disagree about the PCCB's for a street car. I would avoid them if you plan on tracking but for street only, PCCBs will be fine and last the life of the car... or should.

Jason

i think that the general consensous...PCCB are fine for street use but avoid if you track alot

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Thanks for the replies fellas. I had PCCBs on my 07 Turbo and really like the brakes. I do not plan on tracking the car ever, and would probably drive it around 5k miles per year. The IMS failure is a huge concern for me to be honest though. I have been looking for a few months and I have yet to see a 05-06 911 C2S with decent miles and certified in the low 50s. If anyone has an inside track I would love to hear of it. I have read with the great interest the 997.1 S vs 997.2 debate which if I could find the right car might not be a bad thought.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 AM
away will become famous soon enough
I know it's been stated before but I really think the IMS failures are blown out of proportion in general and especially so on the 997's. (and super especially so on 06+ models) You're talking about a VERY small percentage and I'd definitely be more concerned about things like history/condition/options/miles on a used 911 than worry about the engine hanging itself. Just my .02.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
At that price point, get into an 06 or 07 less optioned C2S.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Quick update fellas, negotiated price with seller to $50,500. I am going to add the CPO which is approximately $2000. I feel that the car is a decent buy at $52,500 certified. I spoke with the mechanic who did the PPI and he felt the car was a very nice example and in almost perfect shape. We talked about the IMS issue and he agreed that the low miles place it at higher risk, but he also stated that he has only done a total of 5 997.1 cars with IMS failures since 2005 and agreed that the risk of failure is extemely low.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crackberry005
wow thats expensive.

fwiw, i heard that options depreciate fast. so fast that they are almost worth nothing after a few years.

iono, maybe its because i live in socal, but i think you can get much better deals for 50k. id walk
really helpful

especially since he's done the deal.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by getz
Quick update fellas, negotiated price with seller to $50,500. I am going to add the CPO which is approximately $2000. I feel that the car is a decent buy at $52,500 certified. I spoke with the mechanic who did the PPI and he felt the car was a very nice example and in almost perfect shape. We talked about the IMS issue and he agreed that the low miles place it at higher risk, but he also stated that he has only done a total of 5 997.1 cars with IMS failures since 2005 and agreed that the risk of failure is extemely low.
congrats and welcome back....dont forget a picture or two

Old 03-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by crackberry005
wow thats expensive.

fwiw, i heard that options depreciate fast. so fast that they are almost worth nothing after a few years.

iono, maybe its because i live in socal, but i think you can get much better deals for 50k. id walk

No problem, I appreciate all opinions. I have heard some people who suggest better deals abound, but I haven't really seen many. I have scoured craigslist in big cities, autotrader.com, and cars.com. One owner good examples with a CPO have all been close to or well above this range. I could still theoretically walk, but where are all these cars you guys are finding? A plus with this car is that I do not have to spend money to have it shipped nor spend money to travel and view it. Incidentally it also has the calibre radar/lidar system installed (although I have heard its junk) as well as the front clear bra.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
Not sure if your sale is final but...

Did you see the car for sale on here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-in3-days.html

$54,999

Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by PSTT07
Not sure if your sale is final but...

Did you see the car for sale on here:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-in3-days.html

$54,999
I looked at that car which is very nice, but with shipping and travel to view the car (not to mention the cost of my time to travel), the car would be about 5 grand more than the car here, and that would be for a car without a CPO warranty. It is nicely optioned, although I could do without the aero package. The car I am looking at stickered at $99,900 so it has some decent options as well. Is the extra MY worth the extra 5 grand?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thoughts regarding a 05 911 C2S