997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie, need advice on dealers in San Fran area and pointers

Old 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM
littlerocket is on a distinguished road
Newbie, need advice on dealers in San Fran area and pointers

Hi all, I am probably posting this prematurely, but research is always good in my eyes. I'd like to introduce myself as a non-Porsche owner, but I definitely want to get one in the future.

A little about me. I currently drive a 2002 s2000, Suzuka blue and have been lusting for a Porsche for ages. I had been eyeing a Cayman S ever since it was introduced, but being close to marriage and possibly passing this off to the future wife as a 'legitimate' family car, I am now targeting a 911.

I found this forum about a week ago and have read 170+ pages of threads, not all the threads on each page, but the ones that pertain to new owners, options, gotchas (RMS, IMS, DME), baby car seats, and of course, what I would like to own one day.

My plan is to wait until the 991 is released in 2013 and go for a CPO 2009+ C2 or C2S (see, I've even got the terminology). The options I want, and of course they are dictated by what's for sale, are Sport seats (I like the wings on the seats) and Sports Chrono. The rest, I don't really care. Leaning towards the C2S because I actually wrench a lot, so would rather wrench on my own car than pay a stealership to wrench on it for me. And I have read that the brakes on a C2S is easier to work on than a C2. I'm still conflicted between Manual and PDK. Prefer Manual, but since future wife cannot drive a manual and I have read that PDK is just plain awesome, maybe PDK. But you pay more for awesome!!! Cost is definitely a factor. I'm not rich, but do pretty well for myself and do enjoy the finer things in life. My budget is $50k, maybe $55k, depending upon where I am 2 years from now. I'm hoping to have about $20-25k to put down and finance the rest.

Having read all of that, here is my question. All of you started somewhere, and I honestly have never driven a Porsche. Heck, I may not even like it, but I really doubt that! Can some of you in the San Francisco area tell me which dealers are friendly enough to allow folks to browse for now. I know that is a weird question and sounds like I'm fishing, and most of you will even ask if I drove a s2000 before I decided to buy one (answer is No), but I feel there are questions I need answered for myself. S or no S. Manual or PDK. Options (oh so many options!). For an s2000, it was more of what color you want and how much you want to pay. There were no options. Also, for those that have bought out of state, where do you look to find Porches for sale? What are the main resources?...porsche site, cars.com, carsdirect.com, etc.?

Finally, thanks in advance for any input you provide, positive and negative. I would have posted this in the local forums, but I don't see a whole lot of traffic in there. And, I know you all seem to always ask for pictures (by the countless requests for them! ha ha), so I've put one up of my s2000 at Thunderhill, which is a track near Sacramento. Thanks.

Attached Images  

Last edited by littlerocket; 04-15-2011 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I sold my '04 S2000 two years ago and got an '05 997 C2S so can speak to the transition. Love the Porsche - much more low-end torque without waiting for VTEC to kick in, I also like the soundtrack better. The C2S has a deeper burble from the flat six (compared to high-revving inline four). The S2k really fit like a glove and was a blast to drive in the twisties. The Porsche is also small and tossable but slightly bigger and heavier. I bought a C2S coupe and love having the fully sealed interior and Bose sound system - beats Honda's stereo by a mile! However, I do miss dropping the top on cool evenings and going for a cruise. The sunroof is just not the same! I didn't know a lot about Porsche maintenance other than that it is 'crazy expensive'. I think a lot of that is just hype - what's really surprised me is just how reliable the Porsche is. After five years with the S2k and zero mechanical failures, I was spoiled but the Porsche is proving just as strong. A little more expensive in maintenance? Yes, but not as bad as people like to hype it to be. You gotta pay to play, right?!?!

BTW, you live in the best part of the country for car culture and great driving roads! I'm working on moving to SF - great city! Welcome to the board, oh, and good luck holding out for a couple of years - it's hard, I know!

Old 04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
MidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the roughMidnightBlue is a jewel in the rough
I bought my last three P-cars (and two Audis) from Randy Hill at Rector in Burlingame (Just off 101 south of the airport) Nice guy, no sleazy salesman BS and he's a real car guy. (Owns a vintage Ferrari that I see him with at local concours from time to time...)

Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
tradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond reputetradecraft has a reputation beyond repute
I browsed at Carlsen in Redwood City but ended up picking a car from Steven's Creek. Both were very accommodating.

edit: I also stopped at Rector and had a terrible experience with a clueless salesman. Did not bother test driving.

Last edited by tradecraft; 04-13-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by scottschoe
I browsed at Carlsen in Redwood City but ended up picking a car from Steven's Creek. Both were very accommodating.
I went to Rector for my service and I like their professionalism. I didn't like Fremont Porsche, which is where I bought my car. Their service guy Gunter is good, but the salesperson Barry something or other is a moron. He didn't even know how many HP a 911 had or how to work some of the controls in the car I bought. Oh and he bragged that he had sold Porsches for 20 something years!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I got mine from Carlsen and have it serviced at Stevens Creek. Both have been good to me.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I bought my car private party used but as far as service goes, Gunter at Fletcher Jones Fremont Porsche is fabulous. I can't speak for their sales team but I would check them out for sure. I wasn't happy with the service provided by a couple of other bay area dealers.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I bought my car private party used but as far as service goes, Gunter at Fletcher Jones Fremont Porsche is fabulous. I can't speak for their sales team but I would check them out for sure. I wasn't happy with the service provided by a couple of other bay area dealers.
I vouch for that. Fletcher Jones, certainly for service and also for sales.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:29 AM
vraxinus will become famous soon enoughvraxinus will become famous soon enough
I bought my 2011 Carrera S down at Fremont Fletcher Jones, the sales Jeff is a great salesman. Look for him if you plan to go there. He's very pleasant to deal cars with. He allows me to choose 2 cars to be kept so other ppl can't buy that particular car and he gave me a test drive without asking him. Also sometimes they carry some options that other dealers doesn't have. and i get a pretty good deal on the 2011 C2S when i bought it Sept 2010.

However, i heard that Carlsen down in Redwood City also carry a lot of good options and people say it's a good dealer.

Just make sure when you buy C2S, look for the sport chrono package. It really does makes a diff regarding the responsiveness and acceleration.

Last edited by vraxinus; 04-14-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:11 PM
jurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond reputejurnes has a reputation beyond repute
SF Bay Ardsa Pcar recommendations

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue
I bought my last three P-cars (and two Audis) from Randy Hill at Rector in Burlingame (Just off 101 south of the airport) Nice guy, no sleazy salesman BS and he's a real car guy. (Owns a vintage Ferrari that I see him with at local concours from time to time...)
Good people at many Porsche Dealerships:

Randy at Rector Porsche Burlingame+1
John Hutchens at Fremont Porsche
Dave Christiansen at Livermore Porsche
Perry Eyges at Stead Porsche Walnut Creek

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
I also traded in my S2000 for a C2S after my little one was born. It is definitely a more "legitimate" family car. It took a while to get used to the new lower red line in the Porsche (miss that 9000 red line). But as a previous poster, the low end torque and growl in the C2S more than makes up for it. I am glad I made the change.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
I bought my car from a private party who bought the car new from Stevens Creek. He had good things to say about them and their sales staff. I had my car's PPI done at Stevens Creek as well and their service department were great and my service manager went over the details with me very thoroughly and took his time to make sure I understood everything and was happy with what they did.

Good luck on your search. Some may say getting there is half the fun. I know I had a fun time looking for my car.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
I went to Rector for my service and I like their professionalism. I didn't like Fremont Porsche, which is where I bought my car. Their service guy Gunter is good, but the salesperson Barry something or other is a moron. He didn't even know how many HP a 911 had or how to work some of the controls in the car I bought. Oh and he bragged that he had sold Porsches for 20 something years!
Rector service was good for me.

I bought my Turbo at Fremont from Barry. I didn't ask him about hp numbers. I know what I need to know about a car before I go to buy it. Salesmen are not walking encylopedias on all things cars. They really act as a go-between you and the salesmanager who really says no or yes to an offer.

Oh, before I bought the Turbo there I will add when I stopped in some time ago at Fremont and spoke to Barry about a Cayman S I had that a day before someone had smashed into he took one look at the pics and said the car would be a total loss. He was right.

Fremont service was good. There are some good techs there (Chris comes to mind: superb) but the last couple of times I had the car in I was not happy with the service and was not happy with Guenter's attitude.

So, I stopped using Fremont for servicing. Even let a $500 gift card expire rather than go back.

I've used Stead Porsche for servicing and even purchased a Cayman S there. Most of my Porsches now get serviced at Livermore Porsche. It is close (about a mile away from where I live) and more importantly does good work. I don't know about the sales cause I've never bought a car there, but I did look at a few cars before I bought the Turbo and could have bought a car there and might yet if I decide to get rid of the Turbo and buy something else.

Never used Carlsen -- though I shopped cars there and could have bought a car there had I wanted to didn't have any problems with the salesman -- and I was happy with the treatment I received at Stevens Creek Porsche even though I didn't buy a car there. I had a Porsche serviced there a few times along time ago, when the dealer was further east on Stevens Creek, and was happy with the service.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 04-14-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM
littlerocket is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the comments. I had just activated my account so I'm now able to respond...and add the picture that didn't go through the first time. When I have time, I'll probably stop by the Rector dealership in Burlingame as that is the closest to me. Just to browse. And if they offer me a test drive, who am I to say no? Thanks again all!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:14 PM
scottkim is on a distinguished road
I bought my carrera from Livermore Porsche, pretty good deals to be had out there I think. I go there for service as well, John Bartlett is great (service advisor).

I bought my wife's Cayenne from Rector though, found a better deal there on a 2011 Cayenne than I could find anywhere else.

I have gone to Rector service once, to get my rims powercoated. Great service team there, although gets SUPER busy around 5 PM pick up time.