997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
stack24 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Thanks for the nice feedback guys.
Man, I started reading this thread and thought I typed it. At least you save me starting a similar type thread. I'm 32 and looking to get my first P-Car in the coming year.

I work in online marketing as well and knock on wood have done pretty well and am pushing to get better and better and have always wanted a Porsche. It was more of a goal for me. I have gone back and forth with should I or should I not.

I currently drive a 2003 BMW M5 that has been modified and I truly love the car and most likely just keep it because it was one of my first loves.

After talking with the wife and just weighing out expenses and stuff it made sense that I could easily afford a used one and now the only problem I have is finding the exact one I want. My wife is excited cause she saw a picture of one and was like "Oh that's bad ***". Before that she wasn't too into Porsches cause she hasn't seen one she liked and she is very visual.

997 C2S in White with the Aero Kit. If anyone knows of one coming up for sale send me a message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
If you really want to get technical. Estimate your yearly savings and gains on your investments. Then estimate the yearly depreciation on the car, maintenance, and interest cost. You don't need to consider the cost of the car, bc you can always sell it later. Subtract those two numbers. If it is negative or near zero, you should NOT buy the car. If it is positive than you can consider it. If you have other life goals like marriage, kids, and retirement, then you have a lot more math to do. Other things to consider are sales tax (one time expense), flattening depreciation curve, poor investment performance, speeding tickets, valet tickets, all the fun things you'll want to do with your car, transaction & marketing cost if you sell it.... peak oil production... and lastly, the end of the world.

Thats right, Im a spreadsheet junky.

Another plus, If you get divorced, it is easy to hide your car(s) from your ex's lawyers (i have no idea if this is true, I heard it through the grapevine and thought it was funny and terrible at the same time.).

Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
fgv1it has a spectacular aura aboutfgv1it has a spectacular aura about
I bought my first 911 six months after getting out of college. I had liked Porsches since I was in High School, and the time had come. Don't worry about what others will think or say; if you like the cars, and if you really want one, get it.

More then 30 years later, I still drive a 911.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:48 AM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Should I buy a Porsche???

Interesting thread. I think everyone who is a reasonably decent human being considers these questions. I am 58 years old, but have had Porsches and sporty cars since I was 25 (first Porsche 1973 914!!) Moving from high performance motorcycles and in love with grand touring (extra legal speeds with the radar detector set to max!) through the West it was just a gradual progression to more exotic cars as my income increased. How the public perceives you and your Porsche ownership is based on your attitude: I have had envious slackers approach me with hate, but I just reply with a "well, it's a reasonably reliable car that gets pretty good gas mileage considering, and it's really fun to drive in the mountains", etc. I was approached by a gang group once that caused me concern-- the head punk sarcastically said: "Wish I had that car, dude!" and I responded with "I wish you did too-- the payments are killing me!!"-- the whole gang laughed, and they went on their way.

But-- I have kept the car secret from my closest friends for over 2 years-- who have been layed off from work and are not financially blessed, and my current boss and coworkers know nothing of it or my lifestyle. Due to my making 6 figures in an earlier job and a wife making more, we collected the mountain cabin, boat in the slip at the lake, Lexus, 997S, etc. But my coworkers are totally not able to afford that lifestyle, so I keep a low profile.

I think wealthy and established people understand the draw of an exotic car-- even if they might not understand why car nuts love and respect Porsches.

People that are not wealthy, not established in their careers, or not car nuts will never understand any way. I guess it boils down to why someone wants a Porsche-- for the excellence of the machine and owning a high performance car-- or to be a poser and look rich or do the "look at me!" thing.

Those kind of people give us all a bad name...

Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thanks again everyone, great insight on here. I really really appreciate it.

Norton, great post.

But I have to admit, a part of me kinda DOES want to look good in it.

I tink theya re beautiful works of art and I'd love to park one on the street just to "color" the neighborhood I park it in.. like a piece of art.

Will I want to be seen getting into it? Not really. In front of some people, not at all. In front of some other people, like at a fancy restaurant? Maybe. Just being honest.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM
jzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura about
If you buying the car wont put you into a bad financial situation then you can afford it. It ultimately comes down not to what other people think of your car but what you think of it. Lots of people will always be jealous of whatever car you drive whether its a p-car, f-car, a bmw or even a honda. Someone always has less and wants what you have.

Im a little bit younger than you are but at the end of the day I always feel like the smile it puts on my face is worth whatever some jerk thinks. When I first started driving it I did feel a little self conscious but the more you drive it the more you love it and it becomes like your second home.... Other cars truly do become boring lol

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Not stereotyping or anything, but the comments I read on this forum is far more mature than those from BMW or Mercedes forum. The most popular topic there are "How I smoked a Vett last night..."

Porsche was still a dream for me when I was 31. My goal at the time was to save enough downpayment for our first house, so we can start having kids. A decade later I bought my first Porsche, not because I've fulfilled my obligations, but rather the feel of midlife crisis has hit. I guess I am still a HENRY after our house value took a dump in the last few years. But if you don't have to give up anything else and have enough to live comfortably after making that Porsche payment, I'd say go for it.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Watch the Suzy Orman show and go ask her "Can I afford it?". After you watch one episode, you'll know her expected answer - NFW!

When I bought mine 2 years ago it was pretty expensive and was 3 years old. Trading it in today, that car cost me less than any other car I've owned. Happened for me, may not happen for others. Car held it's value incredibly well and cost of ownership was far less than one might imagine.

Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
While we're on this subject, just watched Ben Aflick's new flick called "The Company Men." Give you a pretty good example of what could happen to a HENRY.

Yes he drove a Porsche in that movie.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:23 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
Get one! I bought a used 03 996tt from this forum a couple months ago and love it! I'm in the military so our pay is no secret (hint: WAY less than yours) but I set aside a little nest egg to fix it in case it breaks down. Most of my peers think I'm an idiot but I've been passionate about cars for as long as I can remember and as a child my dream car was a 911 turbo. The hater's will always hate but these cars are a blast to drive and I'm living my childhood dream at the age of 27.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
997tt are coming down in price quickly Do it, do it

Old 05-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
But I have to admit, a part of me kinda DOES want to look good in it.
Of course you want to look good in it! There is a HUGE difference between wanting to look good in the car and getting the car because you want to look good. (if that makes sense)

I tink theya re beautiful works of art and I'd love to park one on the street just to "color" the neighborhood I park it in.. like a piece of art.
I work around a LOT of P-cars and P-car enthusiasts and the above quotation is spoken like a true Porsche aficionado.

Will I want to be seen getting into it? Not really. In front of some people, not at all. In front of some other people, like at a fancy restaurant? Maybe. Just being honest.
A carrera is a gorgeous car, there is no way around that; the hips, the lines, the aggressive yet subtle scoops and vents. You sound like you have a true appreciation for what they are and how they perform, I say go for it. You are talking like you plan to buy it for all the right reasons (the most important IMO that you are currently bored and you know a Porsche will be the mistress you need)

Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by randomquickness
Get one! I bought a used 03 996tt from this forum a couple months ago and love it! I'm in the military so our pay is no secret (hint: WAY less than yours) but I set aside a little nest egg to fix it in case it breaks down. Most of my peers think I'm an idiot but I've been passionate about cars for as long as I can remember and as a child my dream car was a 911 turbo. The hater's will always hate but these cars are a blast to drive and I'm living my childhood dream at the age of 27.
sorry to get off topic, but congrats to you! Than you for your service and please stay safe (over there and in the car )

Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Watch the Suzy Orman show and go ask her "Can I afford it?". After you watch one episode, you'll know her expected answer - NFW!
She denied a 12K a month "take home" Cayenne
The person had no savings.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-purchase.html

She also denieda Ferrari .. guy wanted to trade in his Porsche 997 (lol).
http://classic.cnbc.com/id/15840232?...9025059&play=1

Strange thread --
Not sure if the OP is making some sort of confession or asking financial advice .

1) There's a lot of wealthy who can not afford a Porsche because they have no clue in how to budget themslves .

2) There's a lot of poor folks driving Porsches too . They just find someone else willing to buy it for them (parents, husbands, etc).

Last edited by yrralis1; 05-26-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:39 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
OP, you're over thinking the situation. If you want the 911 and have the cash to buy one comfortably, then go for it. I got my 911 when I was around your age and most of my friends were already driving Porsches. They are so common around here, it's no biggie. Now if you were considering an F430 that would be a different story. Stop worrying so much about what others think and start worrying about what is important to YOU. Buying a luxury automobile is fiscally irresponsible no matter which way you look at it, if you have the means I highly recommend it, if not than no harm done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?