997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
I'm about your age and thought of some of the same things you are wrestling with. In the end I bought the car but decided to use it only as a weekend car and have not told anyone at work about it. I am in the fortunate position where the price of the car was not a very significant outlay but I prefer a low profile and hate to draw attention to myself. At a conservative company in a non-car-culture city I thought even a 911 (which I personally do not view as flashy or exotic) could draw some unnecessary attention. In the end, I'm happy enjoying my C2S on the weekends, evenings or at the track and drive a less conspicuous Ford to work every day.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:45 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
...That said, I drive to work everyday at a huge parking lot with lots of coworkers who know who I am. If I was a work-from-home Internet entrepreneur type (which it sounds like you are) I wouldn't worry about it and just get the car.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:05 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
If you're looking at a used 996 C2 (S), there isn't too much to think about. It's not like they are expensive cars (seen them range from $25k - $40k).

I say get it.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
hehehe, sounds so similar to me, i sent you a PM

Old 05-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
People will talk no matter what you do.
it is a classic case of "The Man, the son and the donkey." (google it!)

Life is too short to give a damn about what others think. You live once and what they think of you does not affect who you are or the money in your pocket, and end of the day, that's all that matters.
I'm 26 and I just signed (yesterday) on my SECOND 997 this year (a 4 GTS, pictures will come when I get it in Septebmer.. Aqua Blue).
I've been fortunate that growing up, my parents had the means to buy me whatever my heart desired (Ninja Turtles FTW), but I also learned that kids are extremely jealous. And it doesn't get better as they grow up. I've been working since 18. I used to run my own company and go to college at the same time. People were still trying to make me feel bad about all my stuff. Finally, after a few years, I decided what the hell do I care what they think? Everything they say has 0 effect on my cashflow, how well I am doing, on how awesome my car is, on how awesome my pad is, on my vacations, and anything that makes me happy.

If a Porsche makes you happy, don't get a ****tier one than the one you want (if you can afford it) just so people "respect" you for being modest. Screw modesty, live loud, live proud, and everyone who doesn't like it can just look away or whatever. It is no one's business but your own. The day THEY start paying your bills is the day you should care what they think.

They are just jealous. You don't need to justify crap to anyone. And even if they say they aren't, they are. They are not in charge of your finances, they are not paying the bills, they have 0 consequences on you. No one will stop doing business with you because of your car, and if they do, you are most likely better off not working with such petty people.

People who talk like that are just angry that they weren't dealt a better hand and they are too lazy to make something of themselves. It is easier to try to bring others down instead of yourself up.

I say get the car. You owe no one an explanation and don't give two craps if people think you are a millionaire, a billionaire, or barely scraping by. You are YOU. and that's that. Your grin when you turn that 997 on is all that matters.

Sorry for the wall of text guys :-)

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Comet
People will talk no matter what you do.
it is a classic case of "The Man, the son and the donkey." (google it!)

Life is too short to give a damn about what others think. You live once and what they think of you does not affect who you are or the money in your pocket, and end of the day, that's all that matters.
I'm 26 and I just signed (yesterday) on my SECOND 997 this year (a 4 GTS, pictures will come when I get it in Septebmer.. Aqua Blue).
I've been fortunate that growing up, my parents had the means to buy me whatever my heart desired (Ninja Turtles FTW), but I also learned that kids are extremely jealous. And it doesn't get better as they grow up. I've been working since 18. I used to run my own company and go to college at the same time. People were still trying to make me feel bad about all my stuff. Finally, after a few years, I decided what the hell do I care what they think? Everything they say has 0 effect on my cashflow, how well I am doing, on how awesome my car is, on how awesome my pad is, on my vacations, and anything that makes me happy.

If a Porsche makes you happy, don't get a ****tier one than the one you want (if you can afford it) just so people "respect" you for being modest. Screw modesty, live loud, live proud, and everyone who doesn't like it can just look away or whatever. It is no one's business but your own. The day THEY start paying your bills is the day you should care what they think.

They are just jealous. You don't need to justify crap to anyone. And even if they say they aren't, they are. They are not in charge of your finances, they are not paying the bills, they have 0 consequences on you. No one will stop doing business with you because of your car, and if they do, you are most likely better off not working with such petty people.

People who talk like that are just angry that they weren't dealt a better hand and they are too lazy to make something of themselves. It is easier to try to bring others down instead of yourself up.

I say get the car. You owe no one an explanation and don't give two craps if people think you are a millionaire, a billionaire, or barely scraping by. You are YOU. and that's that. Your grin when you turn that 997 on is all that matters.

Sorry for the wall of text guys :-)
Well put. i agree. My dad and his brothers all died Before 60...I'm 40 now...hope it skips a generation...LOL. You only live once!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
alan000 is on a distinguished road
I am pleasantly surprised by the thoughtfulness and intelligence of this thread and the wise replies. I was initially expecting one of those superficial "I live at home, work part time at the Gap, and go to college; can I afford a Porsche" type threads, but this one is actually sincere. It's great to hear so many 30-something guys go through this same question of wrestling with a childhood dream/desire vs practicality. I was in your position two years ago. I didn't grow up with a wealthy family, so it was an emotional/psychological struggle to justify buying a nice sports car for fun (my dad had a Buick, then a Volvo).

If you're thinking this hard about it now, just be prepared for a bit of buyer's remorse after the purchase (even if you go the used route). Then you'll laugh/smile to yourself as you turn on your garage light to see your new baby sitting there and when you go for a drive. I bet ya soon after, you'll start thinking of mods...

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM
llngoc is on a distinguished road
If you are using your hard earned cash to pay for something you enjoy, do you really want to care what do other people think? Or worse, you waited until 70 with a billion dollar and driving your 911 with some 31 year commenting that an "old" man should not be driving a flashy car. Like someone said, no matter what you do, there'll always be someone who'll have some "thoughts" on it but are these the people you care about their opinion?

Bottom line: You are paying with your own hard earned money and this will not cause you financial distress and no one will get harmed in the process. Why do you care about someone (who you most likely do not care about their opinion) who may comment on your toy?

I am a little sensitive to this subject as I am picking up my car in the next few days and I do know what some of my friends may think of my toy but do I care how they feel after I waited for over 30 years to get my childhood dream with my own hard earned cash? H*ll no.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Find a low mileage well maintained 911 with a good provenance and you will be fine. I bought a 2007 911 Turbo 2 years ago for 85k, drove it for a year and sold it for 86k. I bought my 05 C2S for 52k with 12k miles and fully expect it to hold its value in the 40k range for quite some time. If you hit the right timing on the value curve of these cars they can be fairly inexpensive.

I sympathize with you, I bought my Turbo at age 33, and at 35 am in my second 911. I am fortunate that I have a stable career in medicine, but despite making close to 400k last year I still have reservations about misspending my money.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Luciddaydream has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Hey guys

I ended up buying the car.

Thanks for this great thread. It really took off. I am glad people enjoyed it.

I was a bit hesitant to post it at first, stating my income and all that. But I am glad it worked out to be a neat and almost heartwarming (for lack of a better word) thread.

Yes the 911 is a chidlhood dream and tmw I am picking her up. I've worked hard to make a good income, and now its time to treat myself a bit. I have soem guilt about being excited about such a material thing, but what the hell, maybe I should just roll with it and use thsi inspiration and motivation to keep on movin on .

I have no regrets buying the thing at all. I just hate the paperwork and all that. Just cant wait to pick her up and get the hell outta the dealership.

Being an at-home entrepreneur, I've lived a rather reclusive life lately, I do not get out much. I think I will get out more with this bad boy. This nice spring weather just made me pull the trigger.

Our society makes it out to be shameful to want a lot of money or to want material things, but I am not sure its really all bad. Life is about having dreams and a few of us go out and get em. Many people just sort of surrender and settle. I do not look down at that at all, sometimes I respect it.. but its just not really my style lately.

I dont know where I am going with this, but, I am happy with my purchase.. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Luciddaydream; 05-26-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Luciddaydream
Hey guys

I ended up buying the car.

Thanks for this great thread. It really took off. I am glad people enjoyed it.

I was a bit hesitant to post it at first, stating my income and all that. But I am glad it worked out to be a neat and almost heartwarming (for lack of a better word) thread.

Yes the 911 is a chidlhood dream and tmw I am picking her up. I've worked hard to make a good income, and now its time to treat myself a bit. I have soem guilt about being excited about such a material thing, but what the hell, maybe I should just roll with it and use thsi inspiration and motivation to keep on movin on .

I have no regrets buying the thing at all. I just hate the paperwork and all that. Just cant wait to pick her up and get the hell outta the dealership.

Being an at-home entrepreneur, I've lived a rather reclusive life lately, I do not get out much. I think I will get out more with this bad boy. This nice spring weather just made me pull the trigger.

Our society makes it out to be shameful to want a lot of money or to want material things, but I am not sure its really all bad. Life is about having dreams and a few of us go out and get em. Many people just sort of surrender and settle. I do not look down at that at all, sometimes I respect it.. but its just not really my style lately.

I dont know where I am going with this, but, I am happy with my purchase.. Thank you for your help.
great news...but I missed the details..what did you get...options?...color?...pixs?

get out and get driving!!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM
MarkusB1 will become famous soon enough
so just know that you deserve it, you've worked hard and you've got great taste. sorry you have to wait for the car tho'.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM
stack24 will become famous soon enough
Wow that was fast. Glad we all chimed in and you pulled the trigger. Can't wait to see some pictures of the car. I am hoping for the day that I am on here telling my story. Congrats again!

Old 05-26-2011, 06:35 PM
sprtan is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, I went through same deliberation.

I am a 40 year old gen x'er who happens to be a senior executive at a traditional Fortune 20 corporation.

I too was concerned with the "optics" of rolling to work in an exotic vehicle purely based upon not wanting to portray the wrong image.

Had nothing to do with affordability. However, because of this, I knew I couldn't get an Aston Martin, Ferrari, or Maserati as it "wouldn't look right".

I ended up deciding on a 2012 911 Cabriolet (I am picking up this weekend) to be used as a weekend car which I will occasionally drive to office on a Friday. For whatever reason, even though it may cost the same, it is a more "generally acceptable" sports car than some of the other exotic from a perception basis.

Whereas I have wanted this car since seeing Annie Becker in it on LA Law when I was in college, despite the fact that I am blessed to be able to amply afford it, as silly as it may sound, I am cognizant of appearances.

Such are the realities of traditional corporate life and politics....

Old 05-26-2011, 07:22 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by og risker
Well put. i agree. My dad and his brothers all died Before 60...I'm 40 now...hope it skips a generation...LOL. You only live once!
I'm right there with you. My brother had a ruptured brain aneurism at 33 that put it down for the count followed by my mom having the same thing happen to her a week later. Life is short, live it to the fullest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Rich Should You Be to Own a Porsche?