997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

991 to come with 7-speed manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
Wjohnson has a very valid point re: marketing and fuel economy.

But still ... I have to crack up at how Porsche always tweaks the transmissions from the norm.

First it was the PDK shift buttons, now a 7th manual gear! What next, first gear in the lower left?? I'm a fan of the KISS principal ...

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
according to C&D:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...ch-pedal-kind/

"...we’ve confirmed from various corporate sources that Porsche will offer a seven-speed manual in the next-generation 911."

Don`t know what to think about this...
In Los Angeles Traffic....USELESS!

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wa1l1in
technically on the window sticker the pdk trans is described as "7 speed manual"

maybe this is what they mean... i can't imagine a 7 speed manual... reverse way down to right?
PDK does have 7 speeds . In my opinion its one of the car's nehative aspects for those (like myself) who like to manually shift .

Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 PM
stack24 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by IslandS62
As it is I hardly ever use 6th gear.
Same thing in my current car. 6th gear is a bit useless on these types of cars. Of course unless your on the AutoBahn or something.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
PDK does have 7 speeds . In my opinion its one of the car's nehative aspects for those (like myself) who like to manually shift .
only idea behind it may be further unification of PDK and manual gearboxes - essentially making manual tranny a 'motorless PDK' with same gears inside. would make sense probably, if they can find a cheap solution of how to fit in same gears.
i like it if they put in a new gear in between 2nd and 3rd and move current 6th gear into 7th position.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:03 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Over the past couple years, Porsche has been pimping this Corporate-esque slogan "Porsche Intelligent Performance" - I wish they would BAG this slogan. It just sounds like "I'm lovin' it", or "Have it your way", or some other stupid slogan. Just make great sports cars that are pretty efficient. You should be pimping your history with racing and nothing else. A stick-shift 7-speed manual might be a little too much shifting...and I'm not sure about this complex center console coming, either. 911's used to be raw, simple, fast machines. They might be getting a little too far away from that, driving the price further upward.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:05 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Not if it's just another overdrive gear.

For those on track, they'll never notice another gear (because perhaps the original ratio will still exist). But for people who cruise at 70mph for 20 hours, this may help - running lower RPM's.

I mean, it said lower cabin noise, and better fuel economy, right? We don't get this by changing all of the ratios, but we can adjust by getting a taller gear.

So those, who enter a given turn 4th gear, and come out in 3rd, will still enter in 4th and come out in 3rd. But they can save the 7th gear for the trip home.

(If I allow the GT-R to shift automatically, it likes to shift into 6th gear at about 32mph. This is how Nissan claims the amazing mileage I never see)

Old 06-01-2011, 09:06 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
'stupid slogans' are how marketing companies promote any products, it is a unified approach to anything. what is much worse is corporate unification policy what essentially killed detroit cars, when designers make a brilliant prototype and then corporate worm tells them - good, now build this new car from available leftover parts we have stocked up for that family sedan that never got good sales, so great new car dies before it even got born.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
(If I allow the GT-R to shift automatically, it likes to shift into 6th gear at about 32mph. This is how Nissan claims the amazing mileage I never see)
This is exactly what the PDK does, but for 7th. My C2S PDK and P2S would always seem to hit 6th/7th (depending on Sport Mode or not) by 35/40 mph. While a 7th gear might have a funny shift pattern, it shouldn't change any driving habits other than highway cruising.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Looks like the author just posted an update today:

UPDATE (6/1): Our sources are now confirming that, for cost reasons, the seven-speed manual is derived from Porsche’s seven-speed dual-clutch PDK automatic.

Makes sense and is right on with some of your guesses - sounds like the gearing will be the same as PDK even in the new manual.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
This is exactly what the PDK does, but for 7th. My C2S PDK and P2S would always seem to hit 6th/7th (depending on Sport Mode or not) by 35/40 mph. While a 7th gear might have a funny shift pattern, it shouldn't change any driving habits other than highway cruising.
This is how I imagine 7th gear impacting (or not impacting) the habits of current owners. The one thing I miss from my C2 is the shifting (the way the stick moves into place (along with clutch feel/engagement)). It is something that (in my opinion) Porsche has done well for many years. I doubt they are going to throw that away.