997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

991 to come with 7-speed manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 01:19 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
991 to come with 7-speed manual?

according to C&D:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-next-porsche-911-to-launch-with-7-speed-manual-transmission-yes-the-clutch-pedal-kind/

"...we’ve confirmed from various corporate sources that Porsche will offer a seven-speed manual in the next-generation 911."

Don`t know what to think about this...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
according to C&D:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirm...ch-pedal-kind/

"...we’ve confirmed from various corporate sources that Porsche will offer a seven-speed manual in the next-generation 911."

Don`t know what to think about this...
I imagine that this is to keep revs down even further for emissions and economy as in an numerically lower final overdrive for h'way. Ive never looked to see how rpm's at 60 mph (or revs/mile) compare between pdk and 6 sp. I did note that pdk loses a few mph in top speed which might suggest it has lower final gear to pull.

Last edited by Gpjli; 05-31-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:13 PM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
Sounds awful to me. 6spd is about where I'd like to stop manually shifting ...

Old 05-31-2011, 03:36 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Imagine how fast we could go if we had a 10 speed manual!

Row Row Row your Porsche, quickly down the track!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
Mercedes has offered 7 speeds for several years; fuel economy on the HWY is very good based on my E class experience

Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM
T33
T33 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Imagine how fast we could go if we had a 10 speed manual!

Row Row Row your Porsche, quickly down the track!

Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
As it is I hardly ever use 6th gear.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by IslandS62
Ditto

Old 05-31-2011, 04:58 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I use it so infrequently that when I went to put it into 6th the other day, I ended up (almost) shifting to 4th...

Old 05-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Surfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jacques1960
Mercedes has offered 7 speeds for several years; fuel economy on the HWY is very good based on my E class experience
Well, others have 8 speeds as well.... their all still "auto"s.

This 7 speed talked about would be a normal 3 pedal setup , that just sounds weird and awkward to me. 6th is already low, they'd have to completely regear so 7th didn't feel like the motor was chugging.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
Yep, sixth already feels too low, even on the highway.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 PM
LiquidLobotomy can only hope to improve
I'm all for it. At highway speeds, like 75mph, the tach is over 3,000rpm. Would love another gear to get fuel economy up in those situations. Of course, I'm not often on the highway, but it would be nice.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
technically on the window sticker the pdk trans is described as "7 speed manual"

maybe this is what they mean... i can't imagine a 7 speed manual... reverse way down to right?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Ditto
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
I use it so infrequently that when I went to put it into 6th the other day, I ended up (almost) shifting to 4th...
Originally Posted by shtfrbrains
Yep, sixth already feels too low, even on the highway.
how fast are you going on highway? if i cruise at 80, 6th feels fine... i guess depends on local speed limits.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I must be missing something in all the negative response with this rumor. For those track guys, 7th will never be used, so not sure why it matters. So if I'm just showing my ignorance or inexperience, please explain: I actually am interested in understanding these things better.

On the upside, if there is a 7th gear, the ONLY purpose will be for highway fuel economy. I see this as having the potential for Porsche to claim 30mpg with a 400hp sports car (Porsche Intelligent Performance and all that) WITHOUT a hybrid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 to come with 7-speed manual?