997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Does driving a Porsche make a man more desirable to women?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 PM
LakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really niceLakeShow41 is just really nice
Does driving a Porsche make a man more desirable to women?

My boss just sent me this article... Ha. The link below makes you pay for the full article so don't bother. The series of studies to back this up was called "Pea****s, Porsches, and Throstein Veblen: Conspicuous Consumption as Sexual Signaling System". That alone is wroth the read. Haha. File this under things we know... Just loved the title.

"Does driving a Porsche make a man more desirable to women?

Study shows that flashy spending may work for the short term but not for marriage

New research by faculty at Rice University, the University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA) and the University of Minnesota finds that men's conspicuous spending is driven by the desire to have uncommitted romantic flings. And, gentlemen, women can see right through it.

The series of studies, "Pea****s, Porsches and Thorstein Veblen: Conspicuous Consumption as a Sexual Signaling System," was conducted with nearly 1,000 test subjects and published recently in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"This research suggests that conspicuous products, such as Porsches, can serve the same function for some men that large and brilliant feathers serve for pea****s," said Jill Sundie, assistant professor of marketing at UTSA and lead author of the paper. Just as pea****s flaunt their tails before potential mates, men may flaunt flashy products to charm potential dates. Notably, not all men favored this strategy – just those men who were interested in short-term sexual relationships with women.

"The studies show that some men are like pea****s. They're the ones driving the bright colored sports car," said co-author Vladas Griskevicius, assistant professor of marketing at the University of Minnesota.

According to the researchers, women found a man who chose to purchase a flashy luxury product (such as a Porsche) more desirable than the same man who purchased a non-luxury item (such as a Honda Civic). However, there was a catch: Although women found the flashy guys more desirable for a date, the man with the Porsche was not preferred as a marriage partner. Women inferred from a man's flashy spending that he was interested in uncommitted sex.

"When women considered him for a long-term relationship, owning the sports car held no advantage relative to owning an economy car," said co-author Daniel Beal, assistant professor of psychology at Rice. "People may feel that owning flashy things makes them more attractive as a relationship partner, but in truth, many men might be sending women the wrong message."

Though often associated with Western culture, extreme forms of conspicuous displays have been found in cultures across the globe and throughout history.

While finding that men may use conspicuous consumption as a short-term mating signal, the researchers discovered that women don't behave in the same manner and don't conspicuously spend to attract men.

"Obviously, women also spend plenty of money on expensive things," Sundie said. "But the anticipation of romance doesn't trigger flashy spending as it does with some men."

###
Other co-authors of the study are Kathleen Vohs, University of Minnesota; Douglas Kenrick, Arizona State University; and Joshua Tybur, University of New Mexico.

To read the complete study, go to http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/psp/100/4/664.html."

Old 06-17-2011, 12:09 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Quotes from the study --(my replies in blue)
According to the researchers, women found a man who chose to purchase a flashy luxury product (such as a Porsche) more desirable than the same man who purchased a non-luxury item (such as a Honda Civic). However, there was a catch:
"When women considered him for a long-term relationship, owning the sports car held no advantage relative to owning an economy car,"
Define "desireable " . Is it long term or short ? Are they claiming that a woman can love a person with a Honda but primarily become infatuated with a guy in a Porsche ? And what is their reply to conterexamples ?

They could have chosen another word . Selecting that term presents a theme and if their own statements contradict - then conclusions are flawed .

Women inferred from a man's flashy spending that he was interested in uncommitted sex
If a guy with a Porsche doesn't get to date a woman because of her prejudice over his car .. maybe they both are better off finding other suitable partners.

Last edited by yrralis1; 06-17-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:37 AM
Lancia has a spectacular aura aboutLancia has a spectacular aura about
I bought mine to drive, I dont care what people or woman think.
Maybe that's why my brand new set of tyres only lasted 2 weeks!
2 track days didnt help.

These people are obviously not into driving or get the concept of driving to even bother with this study. Get a life really.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lancia
I bought mine to drive, I dont care what people or woman think.
Maybe that's why my brand new set of tyres only lasted 2 weeks!
2 track days didnt help.

These people are obviously not into driving or get the concept of driving to even bother with this study. Get a life really.
Well said.

I believe the person who initiated this study bought a Porsche and is pissed because women aren't dropping their panties as he drives by.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by LakeShow41
While finding that men may use conspicuous consumption as a short-term mating signal, the researchers discovered that women don't behave in the same manner and don't conspicuously spend to attract men.
Say what????
Women don't spend a fortune on clothes, shoes, perfume, and fitness classes to attract men? Or drop thousands on bolt-on silicone enhancements?

The authors are so far out of touch with reality it isn't funny!
It's obvious they have never driven a Porsche - it's a sports car, not a luxury item!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Frickin researchers...don't they have ANYTHING BETTER to do than to find more ways to give my wife reasons to complain about my 911!?!? Go find a cure to cancer or something...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Frickin researchers...don't they have ANYTHING BETTER to do than to find more ways to give my wife reasons to complain about my 911!?!? Go find a cure to cancer or something...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
This is another example of government-sponsored academic research ran amok.

Last edited by adias; 06-17-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
+2

Old 06-17-2011, 09:33 AM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
bolt-on silicone enhancements?
Haha, is that a mod I can do to my car??

Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
http://video.foxnews.com/v/996963915001/do-flashy-cars-attract-women/

Last edited by bbywu; 06-17-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 06-17-2011, 09:44 AM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
I find it incredible that the Skyline came out on top ... above the GT3!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Poor Dave...and once again it proves GT-R>911...lol

Old 06-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by bbywu
Poor Dave...and once again it proves GT-R>911...lol
Oh, no you dih-int.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does driving a Porsche make a man more desirable to women?