997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Feedback on 997 Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:50 PM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
how much to Tpc turbo and installation ?? is there any local shop to install around SF area ?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by T07S997
how much to Tpc turbo and installation ?? is there any local shop to install around SF area ?
You can PM Casey from TPC, they are sponsors here.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:20 AM
love911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Coming from a very high horsepower supercharged GTO I do like the air to water intercooler of the TPC setup. Both air to air and air to water has its benefits but my opinion (and it is just mine) is that in the rear engine setup the air to water will be more beneficial in the real world environment. The heat exchanger is out of the engine bay up front in a high velocity area. Again, just my .02.

My curent air to water setup with my TVS2300. Car made 805rwhp (stalled TH400 tranny) with 18psi boost.

Heat exchanger up front:

Water tank:

Aftercooler is sitting under that monster blower:

This was my older Vortech aftercooler setup. Made 623 rwhp thru this setup on 10lbs boost.

The car:
Wow, that car looks N I C E ! !

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by love911
Wow, that car looks N I C E ! !
Thanks! This is the car in action!:

End of thread jack!

Old 07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
911isKing is on a distinguished road
Ynot

Ynot, thanks for your info

Can you comment on fuel consumption?
TPC is well proven but I am eagerly awaiting Vivid's results

Congrats the nice GTO - wish we could get big cubes in Europe...

Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 911isKing
Ynot, thanks for your info

Can you comment on fuel consumption?
TPC is well proven but I am eagerly awaiting Vivid's results

Congrats the nice GTO - wish we could get big cubes in Europe...
Fuel consumption is the same if you don't step on it. If you "petal to the metal", it's not going to be very good.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM
911isKing is on a distinguished road
Good news on the mpg then...
How many hours did your installation take?
Any negative comment on the kit?

Thanks

Old 07-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911isKing
I am seriously looking into turboing my Carrera and I was wondering if anyone with a turbo kit (Vivid, TPC, etc...) could share their experience.
Interesting questions are clutch life, noise, fuel consumption, assembly time, and whatever you find relevant.

Thanks for any info
TPC has been working for well over a year now trying to get the TPC Turbo to work correctly on my '05 C2S. My first few months at it are pretty well documented on this site.

Resolved the many issues one by one but we still have one left that leaves the car "untrackable" and pretty much worthless as a sports car. The car throws CELS every time I accelerate hard beyond 6,500 RPM due to misfiring on cylinder 4.

Moral of the story - it doesn't ALWAYS go right and even with TPC within driving distance this whole project has been a pain in the **** for all involved. Sub-moral: TPC stands behind the product and won't give up until it is right.

We will be back at it when TPC has the time to look at my car AGAIN- hopefully next week...

Last edited by Volant997; 07-11-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:22 AM
cam99 will become famous soon enoughcam99 will become famous soon enough
WOW!
Fuel economy for the heavy-footed is estimated to be around 12 MPG on 91 octane.

What about conservative driving?

Old 07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
I have no idea what conservative driving means in a 911.
Cruising on the freeway at a constant 85, I average only 20 mpg (before the turbo addition).
Is asking about fuel consumption a relevant question if you're driving a 500hp car?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:02 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
imho after looking for a while at different FI solutions having in mind that 90% of driving car will get on a track IMHO one should look into gt3 car, if one can afford that. or keep driving NA M96/M97 motor. there are some awesome FI track cars out there and I saw several of them but overall statistics of longivity of FI track cars are not that great IMHO. probably it has more to do with some pre-existing issues motors had before FI solution was installed, who knows.

but for a street car that is driven mostly in 2K-5K rpm range any FI will probably be fine, from what I hear issues tend to begin if car gets run at redline for long enough time at DEs. if any FI would be bullet-proof and any M97 engine would tolerate that you could be sure - any single track-built 997.1 car would have it as folks are not stupid, everyone has lust for power. nevertheless most of extensively tracked 996/997 cars do not have FI. and plenty of them are not on their first motor neither. keep that in mind.

Last edited by utkinpol; 07-13-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Volant997
The car throws CELS every time I accelerate hard beyond 6,500 RPM due to misfiring on cylinder 4.
Have you changed the plugs, looked at the coil pack/wire? There are not many options for a misfire code. Do you notice that it runs like crap when the light is on or just light only?

On my other highly modified car it would throw codes just because it was not within "factory" spec but according to the dyno, a/f, and tuning software everything was perfectly safe, so we shut those specific CELs off so it would not bother us. Just a few ideas.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
Stingray2006 has a spectacular aura aboutStingray2006 has a spectacular aura about
I have also TPC turbo kit on my 996 3.6 and it is still not running well....... I still cannot get it in closed loop and my tuner says it is running lean. So my car is in work now for almost 6 months. Maybe one of you guys can point me to the problem with it :

1. Durametric or other cable did not find any problem
2. Car is running on idle too much dry
3. If you give throttle the car is stalling

I would be very happy if someone had same problems and would help me on it. If someone needs logs I can post them.

Best regards,
Kras

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM
12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold12GtR-BE is a splendid one to behold
When turbo installed , how hard for dealer to serves motor , ?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Doc GTO
Have you changed the plugs, looked at the coil pack/wire? There are not many options for a misfire code. Do you notice that it runs like crap when the light is on or just light only?

On my other highly modified car it would throw codes just because it was not within "factory" spec but according to the dyno, a/f, and tuning software everything was perfectly safe, so we shut those specific CELs off so it would not bother us. Just a few ideas.
Yes we have tried those suggestions and several more (some unrelated to misfiring):
ECU Tunes x MANY + MANY More
New plugs (tried several variants)
New Coils
New Fuel Pump
New Intake Distributors
New MAF
New O2 Sensors

Currently running a tune with secondary O2 sensors disconnected and a default value hard-coded in and some "masking" around cylinder 4 which wasn't completely explained to me.

Took the car to the track two months ago, knowing it had the CEL issue. I laid off for the first two runs to try and avoid the CEL's (without much success). On the third and final run I figured I'd just go for it. 10 minutes into it the car went into "limp mode" due the excessive misfires. That was a "significant emotional event" as the car feels as if it has lost all power and shudders badly - thought I had lost the engine. It isn't feasible to just turn off the CEL's - there is something bad going on and the misfire count, when driven high enough over a time period, will put the car into limp.

Anyway - the obvious/easy stuff has been tried. Thinking now maybe a valve, or cam timing sensor...

Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate any ideas as this has both me and TPC baffled at this point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Feedback on 997 Turbo Kits