997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Water pump failed on trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 PM
speedchromer is on a distinguished road
Water pump failed on trip

We left Fort Lauderdale early Thursday morning to get back home to South Carolina. A quick 700 mile trip that I usually can make in 10 hours. About 75 miles into the trip we smelled something. It was dark and I couldn't see anything. All gauges appeared okay. As the sun came up I noticed smoke from the rear. Pulled over and realized it was water from steam. Called AAA and they were there at 6:30 in the morning after we had waited only 30 minutes. They had even sent a flatbed. I couldn't get any shops on the phone. I took a chance and had the driver take us to 901 Shops in Stuart. A friend had told us they do good work. It turned out that they only do race prep work.

Did a quick search on my phone and found a shop close-by named "European Car Performance". Called them at 8AM and got Gianni (Johnny) on the phone. He said he could get right to it. We had the flatbed take us to his shop. He has a good size shop and works on European cars. His bays were full but he fit us right in. He thought that the water pump was bad. He got one of the guys right to work on it and confirmed it was the pump.

Stuart, Florida, is a small town and the closest Porsche dealer is in West Palm Beach. So he got the delivery on its way and said I should be back on the road by 3PM. We were starving and nothing was close so he gave us the keys to his Audi and told us to go wherever we wanted. No rush.

At 2:55PM they were washing the car and we were moments away from getting back on the Interstate and continuing our trip. I can't imagine something getting fixed so smoothly to get us back on the road.

Our thanks to Johnny for saving our trip home. Its nice to meet a good guy.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Doc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond reputeDoc GTO has a reputation beyond repute
What a nice find!!! I live in Florida and don't know where Stuart is . . . LOL

Old 07-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
So how much did that repair and top notch treatment cost you?

Whats the take-away other than, for longer trips, print out a list of addresses of repair shops (and maybe highlight them on a regional map)?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Good story and a big thanks to Gianni (Johnny) turning a nightmare in to a small bump in the road!!