997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DIY for removing and replacing shift boot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
azqureshi is on a distinguished road
DIY for removing and replacing shift boot

Hey...Would anyone be kind enough to get me diy for replacing my old shift boot...I'm kind of puzzled with how to get the shift **** out followed by the boot...Your help would be appreciated..

Old 08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
subscribing

Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
The boot just pulls out of the center console (clips in and out). Twist the boot 90 degrees from the **** and the two will separate. Then pull up on the **** to pull it off the shift lever. Sometimes it takes a lot of force to pull up, and you will damn near knock yourself in the face with it, so be careful, lol.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Yes, the boot unclips from the base, then you turn the plastic **** up inside the boot 90 degrees clockwise to allow the **** to be removed. It can be VERY hard to pull off without punching yourself in the face! I took mine off this weekend. The trick I learned a few years ago is to take 2 longer screwdrivers and hold them parallel to one another while bracketing the shifter shaft underneath the plastic **** referred to above. It is best if the screwdrivers have handles at opposite ends. Then you can grab each end of the screwdriver pair and pry upwards. I found I had the most leverage with the shifter pulled back into 2nd or 4th gear so I could pull towards myself while seated, and prying against my thigh.

But I haven't figured out how to separate the boot from the ****. (not an issue got me yet as I was only removing the **** and boot to allow me to remove the center console.)

Last edited by keninirvine; 08-22-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Look up top, there is a sticky for the DIYer. It's much easier to pull from the bottom, let the force be with you.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Yes, but it still doesn't describe how to separate the boot from the ****.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
azqureshi is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your help guys I'll give it a shoot tomm...I'll let you know how things go...

Old 08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Yes, but it still doesn't describe how to separate the boot from the ****.
Hold the boot at the neck still (where the shift **** inserts.)

Turn the neck half way (it turns 90 degrees, turn it only 45 degrees.)

Pull up to separate the two.

bob