997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wow, I got this PDK thing all wrong

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 AM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Hurray for PDK. Placing my 991 order, my salesperson was surprised that I want a PDK given my history of car choices, racing, etc. Glad to hear it’s in the next-gen GT3 as well which I’ll order-up in a couple years once it becomes available.

I don't really get the manual gearbox is more involved statement. For me (and I think a lot of people) rowing gears a mostly subconscious if not mundane activity, and I don’t really get any enjoyment out of it nor do I dislike it – it’s just there. Do people really find shifting gears to be something that’s fun and engaging? Also, at your best you’ll fail to shift as fast and predictably as a PDK, and then everybody misses a shift now and then (annoying on street, lose a position on track).

I love the 911 as much as anybody because it’s so much fun to drive – steering response, light weight (compared to other cars), great flat-six sound, engine in the rear for atypical driving dynamics, etc. It’s a truly engaging car with or without a PDK, and with the PDK you’ll be faster no matter who you are – not just because it shifts faster but because you can focus ALL of yourself on driving instead of shifting.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:36 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rja
I don't really get the manual gearbox is more involved statement.
That is very obvious. You do not get it.

Originally Posted by rja
Do people really find shifting gears to be something that’s fun and engaging?
Yes. For some of us, driving is an experience - with all parts to be enjoyed and savored. The more you take away, the closer you get to just watching a movie or playing a video game.

Originally Posted by rja
Also, at your best you’ll fail to shift as fast and predictably as a PDK, and then everybody misses a shift now and then (annoying on street, lose a position on the track).
The fact that you think any of this is of any significance speaks volumes.

Originally Posted by rja
It’s a truly engaging car with or without a PDK, and with the PDK you’ll be faster no matter who you are – not just because it shifts faster but because you can focus ALL of yourself on driving instead of shifting.
ONCE AGAIN, another PDK owner passive-aggressively defends his purchase by explaining why his choice is "better". Let me be very clear - we manual drivers KNOW it is faster, we just don't care.

Why aren't you *****ing that the car doesn't acceleration and brake for you? Then you could focus more on the steering?

Why aren't you *****ing that the car doesn't steer for you? Then you could focus more on throttle and braking?

Driving IS multitasking. If taking away one distraction (shifting) is good, why aren't taking away more better? Let me repeat myself - shifting is part of the driving experience and I want to enjoy all of it. PDK is in no way better - it is simply faster and less interactive with the driver. Anything else is mere opinion and not fact.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:42 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rja
Hurray for PDK. Placing my 991 order, my salesperson was surprised that I want a PDK given my history of car choices, racing, etc. Glad to hear it’s in the next-gen GT3 as well which I’ll order-up in a couple years once it becomes available.

I don't really get the manual gearbox is more involved statement. For me (and I think a lot of people) rowing gears a mostly subconscious if not mundane activity, and I don’t really get any enjoyment out of it nor do I dislike it – it’s just there. Do people really find shifting gears to be something that’s fun and engaging? Also, at your best you’ll fail to shift as fast and predictably as a PDK, and then everybody misses a shift now and then (annoying on street, lose a position on track).

I love the 911 as much as anybody because it’s so much fun to drive – steering response, light weight (compared to other cars), great flat-six sound, engine in the rear for atypical driving dynamics, etc. It’s a truly engaging car with or without a PDK, and with the PDK you’ll be faster no matter who you are – not just because it shifts faster but because you can focus ALL of yourself on driving instead of shifting.
Hey hey, RJA is a manual guy that gets it.....LOL.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:29 AM
fnhern is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
That is very obvious. You do not get it.

Yes. For some of us, driving is an experience - with all parts to be enjoyed and savored. The more you take away, the closer you get to just watching a movie or playing a video game.

The fact that you think any of this is of any significance speaks volumes.

ONCE AGAIN, another PDK owner passive-aggressively defends his purchase by explaining why his choice is "better". Let me be very clear - we manual drivers KNOW it is faster, we just don't care.

Why aren't you *****ing that the car doesn't acceleration and brake for you? Then you could focus more on the steering?

Why aren't you *****ing that the car doesn't steer for you? Then you could focus more on throttle and braking?

Driving IS multitasking. If taking away one distraction (shifting) is good, why aren't taking away more better? Let me repeat myself - shifting is part of the driving experience and I want to enjoy all of it. PDK is in no way better - it is simply faster and less interactive with the driver. Anything else is mere opinion and not fact.

Wake up on wrong side of bed? Some pretty good observations by RJA and dude goes all postal on him. Dude needs to lighten up!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
gravedgr must hate power steering, power windows, air conditioning, ABS, air bags, a radio in his car too....take all those out and he could have even more so called involvment...geesh dude WTF is up with you? LOL

Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
The endless nature of this debate misses the point that there's no way to objectively say that PDK or manual is better overall. It comes down to subjective preferences, so there's no right or wrong. Wanting to do all the shifting oneself is a subjective preference, just as wanting to be (objectively) faster is a subjective preference. To each his own. Let's all just be glad that we have real choices.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Manifold is right...it's whatever the buyer wants and needs. Some will like the latest model available or wait for the new 991...then that is great...or someone might like there 1973 Porsche 911 for certain reasons and that is great too.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
superbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to allsuperbike81 is a name known to all
Well, I suggest all you anti-PDK people change your attitude in the next 10 years, or get used to driving used cars for the rest of your life, because I forsee the traditional manual transmission dying off almost completely in the near future.

I'm sure there were mathematicians saying the same kind of stuff when calculators first became available. "You are taking the challenge and fun out of math by not having to figure out the problem yourself!" But the fact is, this is the direction we are headed, and there really isn't much that any of us can do about it.

Saying what you prefer is fine, but saying that PDK isn't "better" (read: superior) is wrong. We now have the best of both worlds, the convenience of an automatic teamed with the precision of a manual, all without ever having to worry about making a mistake. Long live PDK!

One thing I will never quite understand is this aura of superiority and arrogance that some people (like gravedgr) seem to have when it comes to driving a manual vs automated-manual, or even full on automatic. Just because you enjoy shifting manually doesn't mean that you are any better than the guy with a PDK or Tiptronic. It doesn't automatically make you a better driver, it's just one skill that you have that is quickly becoming completely obsolete.

Last edited by superbike81; 09-05-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by superbike81
Well, I suggest all you anti-PDK people change your attitude in the next 10 years, or get used to driving used cars for the rest of your life, because I forsee the traditional manual transmission dying off almost completely in the near future.
My prediction is that both manual and PDK will be available in the 911, Boxster, and Cayman for many years. But I can see manual fading away in cars like the Panamera and Cayenne, and in other brands. My sense is that Porsche has a more traditionalist following than most sports car brands (eg, consider the reactions to the changes involved in the 991).

There's also the possibility that people will eventually become less interested in quantitative measurements of car performance (0-60, lap times, etc.) and will instead move to more interest in the subjective driving experience. If so, manual could make a comeback, even if it fades away for a while.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
I hate to admit this, but the 911/Cayman/Boxster are like the Corvette. The manual is still available, but in smaller and smaller numbers. Only the track-focused models are sticks...

Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by superbike81
"This will fundamentally change the way we travel, making transportation available to everyone. The labor intensive days of shifting are forever in our past."

Seaholm and Cole discussing the evolution of the HydraMatic Drive, 1938.

Pioneers, Engineers, And Scoundrels: The Dawn Of The Automobile In America
Beverly R. Kimes

Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by dallascajun
I hate to admit this, but the 911/Cayman/Boxster are like the Corvette. The manual is still available, but in smaller and smaller numbers. Only the track-focused models are sticks...
At my local Porsche dealer, in the new cars, seems like they have slightly more manuals than PDKs. That also fits with the results of our poll. Anyone have sales data on this?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by dallascajun
The Vette doesn't have a PDK/Sequential transomission...it's eithe r a automatic or 6 speed manual for the Vette. This is for street cars...the race cars are sequential.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:18 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Hi gravedgr, sorry if upset you. I was simply asking a question and stating my views. I truly do not understand why so many people equate manually shifting to sport / enthusiast driving so this seemed like a good forum for discussion given it is a current topic.

I actually am not another PDK owner trying to defend my purchase. My current car is a 997 GT3 (manual obviously), and I've been extremely happy with it. It's the most involved car I've ever owned but it has nothing to do with the manual shifting. For my next car (991, Jan deliverly) I am making the choice to go with PDK, as will be the case for all 911s going forward assuming also available on the next GT3. My reasons are as stated. I'm also making the choice because it's the direction things are headed so I'm embracing the technology rather than resisting it.

You seem to be defending your choice to go w/ manual. There is no need to. If having a manual provides you with a better driving expereince, then you should keep ordering cars with them while you can.

My wife purchased an Audi A3 DSG back when they first came out and I was amazed by how well that gearbox worked. I looked forward to other manufacturers and models adopting the technology. Of course, they're doing in the interest of getting their CAFE numbers down but it benefits us too!! -- so long slushbox.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:54 PM
KellyG has a spectacular aura aboutKellyG has a spectacular aura aboutKellyG has a spectacular aura about
i think pdk w/sport chrono pkg ROCKS! I didn't even need to use the paddles and had a blast driving a friends car (in the twisties, not on the track). I'm ruined now and no longer satisfied w/my basic Carrera.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wow, I got this PDK thing all wrong