997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Any one researched and tried different tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
I wrote "this" to say I agree with the post above the statement. Sorry.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
LambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these partsLambOfGod is infamous around these parts
I've worked with TireRack and Discount. Both good outfits. The rack has a better web site and you can buy and have a local TireRack partner install you tires. Could save some tax dollars too.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Go with the PS2's or the new, as yet non-Porsche rated, Pilot Super Sport which cost about $400 less for a set of 4. In my opinion anything else is just a compromise. If you want great dry and wet pavement handling, the tires will wear sooner. As you move toward long tire life you will be paying for it in the area of wet and dry handling and you will start to introduce more tread noise as the tires wear and harden. While their may be comparable tires you will discover they are the priced the same or are higher priced the the Michelins. And reviews of any tire that isn't being used on a modern Porsche aren't relevant to your situation given the unique characteristics of your car compared to those of other front and mid engined vehicles.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
enjoying the PS2's.. quiet and sticky.

i had pirellis before.. noisy and hard.

also had the Hankooks.. cheap but scary at high speed.

I got the hankooks as well im with cArlito cheap but scary at high speeds.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:35 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
I've worked with TireRack and Discount. Both good outfits. The rack has a better web site and you can buy and have a local TireRack partner install you tires. Could save some tax dollars too.
OK! Thanks!!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Go with the PS2's or the new, as yet non-Porsche rated, Pilot Super Sport which cost about $400 less for a set of 4. In my opinion anything else is just a compromise. If you want great dry and wet pavement handling, the tires will wear sooner. As you move toward long tire life you will be paying for it in the area of wet and dry handling and you will start to introduce more tread noise as the tires wear and harden. While their may be comparable tires you will discover they are the priced the same or are higher priced the the Michelins. And reviews of any tire that isn't being used on a modern Porsche aren't relevant to your situation given the unique characteristics of your car compared to those of other front and mid engined vehicles.
Whats the difference between PS2s and PSS's?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Recalcitrant
I wrote "this" to say I agree with the post above the statement. Sorry.
LOL! Makes sense! Thank you!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Bought the Hankooks for a few reasons, mostly bc they are cheaper. I figured I can use the savings for other mods, and the cost difference is significant. I figured that I don't really drive at high speeds much, so I'll take a chance.
Well, I've had them for over 2k miles and here's what I've found:
I had one experience at speeds in the 80s where I felt a bit unstable and thought maybe I made a mistake. That was a couple of weeks into owning them. They've been fine ever since and I've been over 100 on a stretch of hwy, no problem. The big thing this past weekend is that I decided to put my car out on the track for a couple of days after my dedicated track car suffered some mechanical problems. I was up to 135 regularly with no drama. I went through tight turns with quite a bit of comfort. I slide around on the track, quite a bit as a style, and the car and tires performed very well. I felt that they were a bit greasy at the end of the 2nd day, so I had to dial it back a bit, but I was impressed overall.
The only thing that I still need to determine is the long-term wear characteristics. Once I figure that out in a year or so, I'll decide if I'll re-buy and give a full recommendation. I don't plan to track it again, just 1k+ miles per month commuting, etc.
So far, so good, though...

Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
Whats the difference between PS2s and PSS's?
Good question and one better answered on the Michelin site. They appear similar to the PS2's but without the center groves in the tread. They do not , as yet, have Porsche N0 rating. In any event I suspect these are very capable tires and I will be taking a hard look at them when my current PS2's give up the ghost.

Last edited by Dadio; 09-13-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:50 PM
EJ-997 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by carrera997re
I got the hankooks as well im with cArlito cheap but scary at high speeds.
What speed do you mean? I've had the Hankooks for about 3000 miles and at speeds up to 90 mph the car is very stable. What happened to make it scary for you?

Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Got a pair of Bridgestone RE050A for the rear last week, so far so good. Had some road noise when new, but disappeared after about 40 miles.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
black gold

I've spent hours on this topic.

Michelins - you get what you pay for. Incredible grip. Good raodmanners (decent ride and not too noisy) and very good wear.

Bridgestones: Best bang-for-the-buck in the premium segment. Grippy, good in the wet, but wear quickly and all the strengths drop off quickly when worn.

Contis - Much like the Bridgestones, but more comfort oriented and even quicker wearing than the Stones.

Hankook - no input.

Pirelli - The older rossos are pretty good, but for the money people seem to like the stones better. The new P zeros are OEM on a lot of models. I almost got them instead of the super sports. Don't know much about them...?

Save money with Bridgestoens....get the best with Michelins.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drspeed

Save money with Bridgestoens....get the best with Michelins.
Super Sports and RE-11's are the same price as long as Mich keeps the "introductory" pricing going. $1400 out the door for the T4S. Honestly, they are underpriced when you consider they are equal to or better than the PS2's performance with better warranty and treadlife for $600 less (on a T4S).

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
What speed do you mean? I've had the Hankooks for about 3000 miles and at speeds up to 90 mph the car is very stable. What happened to make it scary for you?[/QUOTE

I have had them for about 10k+ miles the reason why i say there scary is because at speeds around a 100+ the cars rim felt like it was dancing in the tire and i had them balanced and what not, by a real good guy. Now another reason why there scary is ever been on a boat? Ever feel a boat wobbel side to side basicly unstable in and out of traffic (no i dont street race) but at times i am in a hurry and the car wobbels when it comes time to go in and out of traffic at say 50 60mph. I never encounterd this issue with the stock Pzero's. Basicly my wifes C350 benz out handels me i have takin same turns with her car and mine. pretty embarrasing. But on the other hand some people love the hankooks. Thats just my experiance. Never again. My IMO.

Good luckkk

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
JohnAMG will become famous soon enough
Just had Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (N1) installed on my C4S today. After driving 100 miles already I am impressed with it. It handles like the Mich PS2 but much quieter compare to the PS2 when it was new. I paid $1379.00(including tax and labor) at the local Dunn Tire and couldn't be happier.

John

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any one researched and tried different tires?