997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

991 Carrera S laps Nurburgring as fast as 997 GT3/Turbo S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Hey: I hope the "Ring" time is accurate. I'm a Porsche enthusiast and would love to see the car continue to make comparable models from Ferrari, Masser and Lambo look like slick overpriced status symbols driven by elitest (I'm better then you), wine sipping Bruno Magli wearing aristocrats.

I just don't believe the numbers. Faster then the GT3 and Turbo S. No, no, no. They are too good and suspect they are there to help push up demand and desire for the new 991. Call me silly to think that but....hey, I hope independent testers prove me wrong. If the claim hadn't been so overreaching and said they were 2 - 3, 5 seconds faster then the standard base 997...then OK. Believeable. Base 991 is 13 seconds faster then a GT3 or Turbo S? Nope. Sorry. No sale. At least not here.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !Inglorious Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Waxer
Hey: I hope the "Ring" time is accurate. I'm a Porsche enthusiast and would love to see the car continue to make comparable models from Ferrari, Masser and Lambo look like slick overpriced status symbols driven by elitest (I'm better then you), wine sipping Bruno Magli wearing aristocrats.

I just don't believe the numbers. Faster then the GT3 and Turbo S. No, no, no. They are too good and suspect they are there to help push up demand and desire for the new 991. Call me silly to think that but....hey, I hope independent testers prove me wrong. If the claim hadn't been so overreaching and said they were 2 - 3, 5 seconds faster then the standard base 997...then OK. Believeable. Base 991 is 13 seconds faster then a GT3 or Turbo S? Nope. Sorry. No sale. At least not here.
I see your point. Could be marketing. But the old 997.2 lapped the n'ring at 7:50, so shaving 10 seconds in a 991s is not completely unimaginable imho. But I think marketing is trying to purposely drag down the 991 carrera s to leave some space between the 991 carrera s and the gt3. Just speculation, but independent tests will confirm or explode my theory.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Waxer

OK - time to take a breath. I think there's a whole bunch of mis-information in your post. I thought it said that the 991S was 13 seconds faster than the 997S. And that the 991S matched the time of the 997 GT3 and the Turbo - Not the Turbo S.
Or - am I in the wrong???

Old 09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
i will wait till Sportauto put down some numbers.
Porsche claimed a 7:18 for the GT2RS, Sportauto clocked a 7:24.
GM a 7:26.4 for the ZR1, Sportauto clocked a 7:38
etc.

Porsche is the most conservative of them all but there is still a gap between factory times and what has been tested by independent sources
(with very good drivers).

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 09-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Jack667
OK - time to take a breath. I think there's a whole bunch of mis-information in your post. I thought it said that the 991S was 13 seconds faster than the 997S. And that the 991S matched the time of the 997 GT3 and the Turbo - Not the Turbo S.
Or - am I in the wrong???

You are correct sir! That was my understanding as well.

The new 991S is 13 seconds faster than the current 997S (or comparible with the GT3/Turbo S). Thirteen seconds faster than a Turbo S would put the 991S in the same league as an Enzo (7:14).

Old 09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
i will wait till Sportauto put down some numbers.
Porsche claimed a 7:18 for the GT2RS, Sportauto clocked a 7:24.
GM a 7:26.4 for the ZR1, Sportauto clocked a 7:38
etc.

Porsche is the most conservative of them all but there is still a gap between factory times and what has been tested by independent sources
(with very good drivers).

I agree with you, I only trust the numbers coming from Sportauto. Remember the storm a couple of years ago about the GTR time? They couldn't turn that time either. Correct me if I'm wrong - I think all the lap times are provided by one guy driving the cars. Really the best automotive journal I've ever read.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:23 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
I agree with you, I only trust the numbers coming from Sportauto. Remember the storm a couple of years ago about the GTR time? They couldn't turn that time either. Correct me if I'm wrong - I think all the lap times are provided by one guy driving the cars. Really the best automotive journal I've ever read.

exactly, all cars are being tested by Horst von Saurma, a former race driver and one of the biggest Nordschleife experts.
i think all those Nordschleife factory times are just promotion stunts.
if u want the truth, wait till they have went through the supertest of sportauto. Porsche is the closest to reality but no car has ever come close to what a carmaker claims. i think the new 991 is indeed 10 seconds faster, but 10 seconds faster than the 997 tested by sportauto.

Last edited by catchmyshadow; 09-17-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:35 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
also reminds me what a great value GT-R is... (7:24 )
That's why I had to buy a 2012 GT-R as my daily driver....that car is a beast!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by synergy
That's why I had to buy a 2012 GT-R as my daily driver....that car is a beast!

sportauto clocked a 7:38 for the GT-R, 7:24 is factory dreamland!

Old 09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
Jack667:

You may be right and I may have misread it.

Anyway, whether its the Turbo or Turbo S I'm just not buy'n it. The 991S is as fast as the 997 Turbo or GT3 and 13 seconds faster then the 997S?

Again, I need to see verification of that info from and independent source. I hope it's true though as it keeps the Porsche mark in the elite performance category.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
all that is marketing BS. to measure real track performance you need to get a cup car on slicks to make it stick. whe you take a street stock car and run it on track - what do you see? only the degree of how much skill factory driver has to make car drift.
you see in that table above that audi R8 was slower than gt3 rs. does it make R8 with 650 ponies to be worse daily car than gt3 rs? no. does it mean gt3 rs is faster in straight line than any V8 powered car with FI? no.

7:40 for 991 car sounds very good. i would not expect less. I also think any GTS car with proper aero package and GT3 control arms and -3 deg camber on R6 hoosiers or R80/R100 hoosier slicks would do even better time on a ring in good hands as it all comes down to 2 factors - raw power and suspension traction. first is just an engine, not much can you do there, GTS or 991S is just a 400 horses car that weghts 3K lbs. suspension is a different matter. wheels, tires, shocks, springs - there are a lot of variables there.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by catchmyshadow
sportauto clocked a 7:38 for the GT-R, 7:24 is factory dreamland!
that was 2009...

we are talking 2011.

granted, its not sportauto time.. but its not dreamland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK62yyQ33_U

the run starts at 3:18 mark

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 09-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
that was 2009...

we are talking 2011.

granted, its not aportauto time.. but its not dreamland.

still dreamland, can`t trust those (prepped) factory cars

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
Wow, that is seriously impressive. I would have never thought an S would beat the GT3. Maybeeee (and that's a stretch), a Turbo. The GT3 was built for the Nurburgring. Nice job ... can't wait to drive it myself although I still won't upgrade a few years.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by K997
Wow, that is seriously impressive. I would have never thought an S would beat the GT3. Maybeeee (and that's a stretch), a Turbo. The GT3 was built for the Nurburgring. Nice job ... can't wait to drive it myself although I still won't upgrade a few years.
big question is what was actually left of that stock 'S' suspension in that 'S' car that showed those lap times...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 Carrera S laps Nurburgring as fast as 997 GT3/Turbo S