997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ventilated Seat Stains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 03:43 PM
alirob will become famous soon enoughalirob will become famous soon enough
Ventilated Seat Stains

I know that this problem has come up in the past. But I wanted to see if anyone had an update or a "cure". In the attached photo you see the passenger seat of my 09 997S. I noticed the first spot months ago. Now more spots are appearing. I have no idea what the cause is. The seat is seldom occupied. No food or drink is allowed. I tried plain water to remove them, but that didn't help. Before I try anything stronger, I'm open to suggestions. They are standard leather ventilated seats. I have seen several similar posts on various forums, but no good solutions. The car is still under warranty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Have had several cars with grey leather interiors, including an '01 for 8 years and 2 MB's for 4 years each, and have never seen spots of any kind on the seats let alone spots like the ones in your pics. Take it to the dealer and have them diagnose and fix the problem. I would strongly suggest that you not put anything on the seats in an attempt to fix it yourself as you could very likely make it worse and in the process relieve the dealer of any responsibility to fix it under warranty. Let us know how it all ends up.

Last edited by Dadio; 09-19-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM
OKB
OKB will become famous soon enough
thats bad, for what ever reason , it should be fixed

Old 09-18-2011, 05:03 PM
mander is on a distinguished road
Had the same problem in my 09 C4S. Happened since new. Whenever I got a little bit of water on the seats - e.g., getting in when it was raining - it would spot. I had hoped the problem would go away over time but it only got worse. When I took the car in for its two year service the dealer told me that they had never seen anything like it. Their detail department looked at it and decided to clean the seats. They originally wanted to charge me $140 but I balked saying that the problem existed since new. They then checked and got it covered under warranty. With the cleaning the stains are gone. That was just two weeks ago but so far so good. The dealer did ask me to keep an eye on it and report back if there were further problems.

I am very much interested in the experience of others on this issue.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:13 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
Try some 91% rubbing alcohol - be sure it's the 91% variety, and not the 70% variety. You can pick up a small jug at any corner drug store for a dollar. I learned about it from a professional detailer and it's save my bacon more than once removing stains from the leather seats in my truck. Once the stain is removed, simply apply a small amount of your favorite leather treatment to keep the leather from drying out.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM
stronbl has a spectacular aura aboutstronbl has a spectacular aura about
Good info in the above posts re: take it to the dealer & a detailing issue. Definitely try to resolve with the dealer before any remedies yourself.

And with that disclaimer, my '10 c4s cab has black leather seats and I too had some "spots" but I did it by accident myself when I tried some leather conditioners. I had trouble getting a nice uniform covering and found I had created some pools of conditioner which made the interior of the perforations darker than the exterior resulting in spots. I may have also had excess product on the exterior which compounded the problem/appearence. After some research and found that by spraying a light mist and working it into the seat with a stiff brush (I used a drill attachment) repeating 2 or 3 times, I was able to uniformly coat the seat and the perforations. It took some time and patience but the spots are now gone. I used the Leatherique products (conditioner and cleaner) but I suspect any high quality auto leather detailing product should work. The key is to get an even coating and work it into the leather uniformly.

The origin of my spots may be different than yours; so as noted already, see if your dealer can solve it first.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:41 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Do you guys condtion the door panels as well? I only did my seats and the door panel seems like it looks dry. I was afraid to do it to the door panel not knowing if its real leather.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Do you guys condtion the door panels as well? I only did my seats and the door panel seems like it looks dry. I was afraid to do it to the door panel not knowing if its real leather.
Depends on whether you have full leather or not. On my 06 doors only the rests and the top of the panels (what the body touches) are leather. The rest is vinyl. I use 2 different types of conditioner accordingly.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I would be concerned about some type of mold or mildew. Do take it back to them.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mander
Had the same problem in my 09 C4S. Happened since new. Whenever I got a little bit of water on the seats - e.g., getting in when it was raining - it would spot. I had hoped the problem would go away over time but it only got worse. When I took the car in for its two year service the dealer told me that they had never seen anything like it. Their detail department looked at it and decided to clean the seats. They originally wanted to charge me $140 but I balked saying that the problem existed since new. They then checked and got it covered under warranty. With the cleaning the stains are gone. That was just two weeks ago but so far so good. The dealer did ask me to keep an eye on it and report back if there were further problems.

I am very much interested in the experience of others on this issue.
+1 I was going to say it looks like if the interior were to get slightly wet like when it is raining out and the window is slightly open or getting in and out

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
What do you guys use for vinyl for leather lexol seems great

Old 09-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by alirob
I know that this problem has come up in the past. But I wanted to see if anyone had an update or a "cure". In the attached photo you see the passenger seat of my 09 997S. I noticed the first spot months ago. Now more spots are appearing. I have no idea what the cause is. The seat is seldom occupied. No food or drink is allowed. I tried plain water to remove them, but that didn't help. Before I try anything stronger, I'm open to suggestions. They are standard leather ventilated seats. I have seen several similar posts on various forums, but no good solutions. The car is still under warranty. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Are you putting a wet coat or something in the seat. Even the outside bolster looks appreciably darker than the seat bottom. Something is substantially different as you around the seat.. its experiencing something odd environmentally or there's something wrong with the seat that is just now bleeding through.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM
alirob will become famous soon enoughalirob will become famous soon enough
Update: Ventilated Seat Stains

Originally Posted by alirob
I just learned that Porsche will re-cover my front seats under warranty.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
restonguy is on a distinguished road
Fix for Ventilated Seat Stains

I believe I have a remedy for the mottled (stain-look) Porsche ventilated seats.
After a lot of internet searching, I decided to use the Leather Master products. I got them from www.leatherworldtech.com . They seem quite knowledgeable.

I think the significant part of the fix is to use their “Soft Cleaner”, even though my seats did not need cleaning. When use as directed, that is, putting the liquid on their soft foam sponge and squeezing it until the liquid foams, then rubbing it into the ventilated leather in a circular manner. Be sure to get it foamed up so it penetrates the ventilation holes. I used it liberally to be sure the holes were fully wetted. It took about 2 and half of the 250ml bottles to complete my two seats.
Let it dry for a day or so, then examine the seats in either side-lite sunlight or incandescent light, shown from various angles. I had to do some additional areas for touch-up.

From there, I am now applying the Leather Master “Vital” product to re-enrichen the leather. The “Soft Cleaner” leaves the leather with a flat matte finish. The Vital, once dry, is not shiney, but takes the matte finish down. Try it on a small place on the seat to see for yourself if you like it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat Stains