997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is it normal for the LEFT exhaust tips to be dirtier than the right?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:57 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Is it normal for the LEFT exhaust tips to be dirtier than the right?

I've read a few threads where the LEFT tips had much more soot than the right, and the car ultimately required an engine replacement. Am I screwed? See photos below. The car is a 997.2.

Attached Images   
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I get that too lefts filthy wit soot

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
With a 997.2 you don't have to worry, only a potential problem on the 997.1.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 AM
renpar61 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
Please explain...

I have a 997.1 and I noticed that my lefts are dirtier than my rights

Old 11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
I have no idea why you would think this.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
There are older threads related to this that you should search for here and on Renn. ("left tailpipe....etc) Your engine will be fine if this is the only symptom you have. I really don't want to redocument my experience here (long). Do the searches and if you still have q's repost.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gpjli
There are older threads related to this that you should search for here and on Renn. ("left tailpipe....etc) Your engine will be fine if this is the only symptom you have. I really don't want to redocument my experience here (long). Do the searches and if you still have q's repost.
Thanks for responding. It sounds like this happened to you, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I've actually read all the threads here and on rennlist, and few things really aren't that clear to me. I still don't know how much soot on the left compared to right I should be concerned about (hence the photos). Also, how often does this mean there's a serious engine problem vs. normal, since it seems like quite a few people have the same left-sided accumulation without any problems. And I'm curious what other symptoms would suggest there's an engine problem? Would you be able to help with any of these questions?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
My 06 has done this since new. Porsche ran a complete workup on the motor including compression, leakdown, plug inspection and borescope. They found nothing wrong and reported the #'s to me. Very strong. There are tolerances in manufacturing and the stacking is random if you get what I mean. One bank is burning a little more oil than the other is all. Or you could say one is burning less oil since these motors do tend to use a bit or more. My motor now has 30K miles. It runs stronger than ever. Oil consumption has dropped to less than a half qt in 3K miles. Still one side darker than the other. Have Porsche Customer Satisfaction note this for you and should there be any problem down the road you are covered. Symptoms of cylinder wall failure are extreme. Heavy clouds of smoke from one bank, engine seizes will not run, clanking sound. This is known as "D chunk " failure in the .1's. What Vancouver was saying is that this has never been reported to happen in a .2 motor afaik. That is not to say it could not but to be honest you have no real reason to worry (no more than ne1 else that is Register your concern and annoyance w Porsche thru your dealer. Go on and enjoy your car. It is merely cosmetic and if it really bothers you can get the exhaust tips blackened I have run my car against 2 others and mine is faster so there is no performance issue. Just for my info, how much oil are you burning and what is your milage?

Last edited by Gpjli; 11-14-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Vancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the roughVancouver-BC is a jewel in the rough
Gpjli, thanks for the clarification and glad to hear you haven't had any issues.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 PM
manishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud ofmanishdutta has much to be proud of
got me curious, just noticed the same on my .2 with 24.5K on it. filled 2qt last week will keep an eye and might swing by the dealer on Thursday for the heck of it before taking the long trip to carmel...

Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Gpjli, thanks for the clarification and glad to hear you haven't had any issues.
No. Still in love. My favorite Doberman had on ear that fell. One up and one down. Best dog I've ever had. Still (back to cars), spending that much money, it does tend to **** one off. Which is OP's real point I guess, once he gets over the worry. It really is a great car though.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Milt Ezzard is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to revive an ancient thread but I'm concerned about the same issue with my 997.2 (gasongasoff please check your PM from me) and wondering if more has developed with regard to this symptom (absent unusual oil consumption, CELs, or unusual noises), as in discovered bore scoring. Pics below were taken about 100 miles following a thorough cleaning of the tips.
2010 C4S with low miles @ 15K. My dealer thus far has brushed me off with "it's normal, don't worry about it"
Car is CPO until July of this year, so would like to get resolved if need be before that runs out!

Last edited by Milt Ezzard; 03-14-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:44 PM
Hello. The condition on my 06, which at 45K miles lost its engine was markedly more severe than yours. Soot much heavier. For me the right bank (pass. side) ultimately failed. This of course is the bank that feeds the left side exhaust. According to followup, over rich condition creates a lubrication problem ie fuel washes oil from cylinder walls and dilutes oil. There is also a heating issue with this bank.

If you have had o2 sensors checked you might want to look for fuel injector problem on that bank. Have the air/fuel mixtures and injector function monitored cylinder by cylinder while engine is running.

You have a different engine version (right bank cooling may be better who knows?) and a less obvious discrepancy between banks. If you have no oil consumption issue that is another good sign. 997.2 has much better record than the 1's so I can't say anything for sure. PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Good luck
Gerry

Old 03-15-2018, 06:11 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
With a .1, if bore scoring occurs, it usually happens on the passenger side bank - cylinders 4, 5, and 6, but because the stock cats criss-cross each other, the soot shows up on the left exhaust tip. If you have an aftermarket exhaust with X cats, ​​​the side to side differences are less visible since the exhaust is more mixed and balanced.

With the .2 motor, scoring happens on the opposite bank, so the driver's side, but because the exhaust design is different and comes straight out without the criss-cross, soot on the left side is also the concern there, even though its coming from the opposite side of the motor than the .1 cars.

There have been a few reports of bore scored .2 motors, but not nearly as many as on the .1s. Monitor your oil consumption as that will be the first indicator. If consumption increases, you nay want to horoscope the cylinders, and its better to do it from the oil pan side of the motor rather than through the spark plug holes as it begins lower in the cylinder from the piston skirt, but once it becomes more prevalent, is then visible from the top as well.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:30 AM
Phil 997 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know borescore is a worry for many 96 and 97 owners but Milt your tips look normal, In my experience if there was scoring the soot would be thicker and on your rear bumper/ fender as well , worth checking mixtures and what oil your running, In the UK we are moving away from 0w40 mobil1 to 5w40 or 10w50 the thicker viscosity seems better as the milages go up on these cars, personally I am using Hartech reccomended Millers NT+ Nano oil 10w50. but do your research as we dont get the type of heat you guys in LA get .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it normal for the LEFT exhaust tips to be dirtier than the right?