997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Post your high mileage 997 here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 09:38 PM
Equinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to beholdEquinox is a splendid one to behold
69k and counting. Just got the car at 68k, and replacing the alternator cable, and will have a look at the Air oil separator at the same time.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Congratulations! I'd love to hear about any maintenance done to the car, or any issues, so far. I assume it is a coupe?

Love to hear of any out of the ordinary problems with the high mileage cars..
or have they been relatively trouble free???

Are you happy with the reliability of the cars?

Old 12-30-2011, 11:16 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
Just did the 40k mile service at 41600....just a little bit late! Checked out perfect! IMS checked out great based on stethoscope check. All else was great! Since little was needed (I bought it in Sept from an Audi dealer) the service only cost me $160!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 AM
300cd300sdl911 is on a distinguished road
07 C4S Targa just under 80k. No big problems so far.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:04 AM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 300cd300sdl911
These are the postings I love to see.... It's usually gloom and doom....
So nice to hear of the great reliability of these great cars...

Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 300cd300sdl911
that's so cool to hear...well done

Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jakesdad

Mine just crossed 72K and the only out-of-warranty repair I've had to do was the front airbag sensor that cost me $400 to replace at my local independent.

I worry a bit, though, because I've gone from driving 15K a year to maybe 2K, so it is more of a garage queen than it even has been!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:20 PM
drjeffrock is on a distinguished road
Purchased a 05 C2 with 48k miles in 05/11. Currently has 62,500 miles. One track day since purchase, plenty of daily city driving, canyon runs, and everything in between...

When I purchased it, I had the oil changed and brake fluid flushed/changed. Since then I have been alternating draining the oil every 2k miles, then replacing filter and oil 2k after that. (I guess I am somewhat worried about a catastrophic failures so I look through the used oil for any large metal particles...)

Here is a list of things I have had to fix/replace in chronological order in the past few months:

-Gas cap (My first CEL )
-Water pump (I had a feeling this would need replacing as I saw a teeny bit of white crap around the muffler pre-purchase.
-Coolant Reservoir Cap
-Coolant Reservoir Tank (had a crack in it, would leak when hot.)
-Bent rim (Can't miss every single pothole...)

Things that need fixing/replacing:
-Battery
-My driver door handle had the cable snap a couple weeks ago,so I have to take off the door panel and fix that.

None of these minor things bother me. **** happens to mechanical and plastic parts, and I am lucky enough that one of the board sponsors is a close childhood friend of mine so I don't have to pay a fortune for parts.

That brings up a question I have. My clutch feels great, no slipping. But, I was wondering if there was a way to tell if it had been replaced before I had purchased the car. Could I put it on a rack and see if the bolts in that area show wear marks from being wrenched on? LOL, I don't even know if that makes sense but I would be curious to know, as I would love to do the IMS/rsm retrofit blah blah blah if the clutch needs replacing.

Love, love, love my car. My first Porsche, always enamored by them since i was a toddler. Every time I twist the key, I get this warm feeling.

This forum rocks! Guess who is going to Walmart to pick up a battery?

Last edited by drjeffrock; 12-31-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by drjeffrock
Purchased a 05 C2 with 48k miles in 05/11. Currently has 62,500 miles. One track day since purchase, plenty of daily city driving, canyon runs, and everything in between...

When I purchased it, I had the oil changed and brake fluid flushed/changed. Since then I have been alternating draining the oil every 2k miles, then replacing filter and oil 2k after that. (I guess I am somewhat worried about a catastrophic failures so I look through the used oil for any large metal particles...)

Here is a list of things I have had to fix/replace in chronological order in the past few months:

-Gas cap (My first CEL )
-Water pump (I had a feeling this would need replacing as I saw a teeny bit of white crap around the muffler pre-purchase.
-Coolant Reservoir Cap
-Coolant Reservoir Tank (had a crack in it, would leak when hot.)
-Bent rim (Can't miss every single pothole...)

Things that need fixing/replacing:
-Battery
-My driver door handle had the cable snap a couple weeks ago,so I have to take off the door panel and fix that.

None of these minor things bother me. **** happens to mechanical and plastic parts, and I am lucky enough that one of the board sponsors is a close childhood friend of mine so I don't have to pay a fortune for parts.

That brings up a question I have. My clutch feels great, no slipping. But, I was wondering if there was a way to tell if it had been replaced before I had purchased the car. Could I put it on a rack and see if the bolts in that area show wear marks from being wrenched on? LOL, I don't even know if that makes sense but I would be curious to know, as I would love to do the IMS/rsm retrofit blah blah blah if the clutch needs replacing.

Love, love, love my car. My first Porsche, always enamored by them since i was a toddler. Every time I twist the key, I get this warm feeling.

This forum rocks! Guess who is going to Walmart to pick up a battery?
Did you replace your bent wheel or have it fixed? My steering started to shimmy the other day (after the wife drove the car ) and it turns out she must have clobbered a pothole because the passenger front OEM lobster claw wheel was bent pretty good. I took it to a place that specializes in straightening aluminum wheels. 4 hours and $62 later and the wheel is perfect again. Iwas sure i was going to have to layout some serious cash for another wheel.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
'06 55k feels brand new

Matt

Old 01-01-2012, 08:22 AM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Will pull the trigger on a 2011 with 13k miles on it. It will be my daily driver. I put 20-25k a year on cars. My X5M is almost 2 yo and has 40k on it.

I am concerned about maint cost on a 997 with this many miles. I guess we will see. Biggest expense will probably be tires (excluding gas)

Old 01-01-2012, 09:53 AM
ng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the roughng997 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by TT2911
Did you replace your bent wheel or have it fixed? My steering started to shimmy the other day (after the wife drove the car ) and it turns out she must have clobbered a pothole because the passenger front OEM lobster claw wheel was bent pretty good. I took it to a place that specializes in straightening aluminum wheels. 4 hours and $62 later and the wheel is perfect again. Iwas sure i was going to have to layout some serious cash for another wheel.
I hope you had them check the passenger rear wheel. If she clobbered the front, the rear wheel went throught the same pothole. The rear right could be bent as well. My experience with my wife on her car is if the front one got bent bad, the rear one was bent also.

On another note, my wife doesn't even want to drive my car. She knows how **** I am about my car and her track record with alloy wheels.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
SToronto will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jakesdad

I am curious about this as well, just came across this forum few days ago. I am looking to purchase a 997 in the next 3-4 months. Would like to read more stories or if anybody has recommended reading.

Thanks!

Last edited by SToronto; 01-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:20 PM
997_rich is on a distinguished road
74k '05 c2 (I put about 50k of those on). No major problems. The biggest of note was a steering universal and a sway bar end link that were clicky (I beleive due to PO hitting a pot hole).

Old 01-01-2012, 08:50 PM
dezigns will become famous soon enoughdezigns will become famous soon enough
'07 GT3 coming up on 48k miles. Mostly all track miles, as I met the previous owner last year who is a PCA instructor and drove it hard. She doesn't miss a beat.

All my "maintenance" dollars go toward cup upgrades, with the exception of a failed throwout bearing 1k miles ago.

I have little worries about the motor lasting 100k and beyond (knocks on head).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post your high mileage 997 here