997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

good or bad to downshift

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 01:20 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
New brake pads a 1/8 the price of a new clutch. Unless you absolutely have to, use your brakes!

Old 12-23-2011, 03:42 AM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by last911
I once attended a Porsche Track Day with Derek Bell. if you don't know who he is, you probably have no business in a Porsche.
No idea who he is. Better call the p-car snob police to come take mine away.

All these years owning, appreciating, and modding Porsches - who knew I had no business driving one being so Derek Bell clueless.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sn66p
Does anybody know if the pdk has the same concerns re: wear? Isn't the tranny supposed to make shifts seamless? If I downshift say from 3rd at 4K to 2nd at 5K, does the pdk rev match and minimize clutch wear?
No need to be concerned with PDK....

Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
There's really no need to downshift to assist braking in traffic. Downshift while
decelerating to keep the car in the powerband if you're looking to accelerate out of the turn. Every upshift or downshift you make is one less in the machinery's lifecycle.

It's always cheaper to replace brake pads than clutches or motors..

Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM
uptheorg is on a distinguished road
Pdk

I believe that PDK will burn through clutches eventually, too. But I don't think you can protect from that much with your driving style.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:28 AM
Waxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of lightWaxer is a glorious beacon of light
I always use brake to slow and match gear to speed. I will use engine brake on long descents.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:13 AM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by mozhacker
No idea who he is. Better call the p-car snob police to come take mine away.
Right on bro', I was going to say I don't know who he is, nor do I care, so I'm getting ready to post up my car on Craigslist I can also cite just as many "experts" as that guy that will disagree with his advice on driving style.

I think it's a given that brake pads are easier to replace and cheaper too if you have to pay someone to do it for you. However, when you start replacing worn out and warped rotors at the same time the economics even out quite a bit. Not to mention how it feels when you step on the brakes and the pedal feels like a rotten plum because you've have over heated the brakes coming down a 6% grade.

That said, I have driven manual shift cars as well as heavy duty diesel trucks all of my life, typically putting over 200,000 miles on each vehicle before trading them off. Lots of those miles are while towing either race car trailers or commercial heavy loads, so you are putting maximum strain on the drivetrain and clutch. Using the driving style I described in my previous post, I have NEVER replaced a clutch in one of those vehicles but I have put 3-4 sets of pads and rotors on them.

So yes, you can wear a clutch out if you slip it a lot and generally abuse it because you don't know how to use it correctly. But downshifting to slow down, if done correctly, will not shorten the life of your clutch in any measurable way.

Interesting note: The most common clutch related failure (under normal non-racing use) is not the pressure plate or disc going bad, but the throw out bearing wearing out. Typically that happens when folks do a lot of stop n go driving in traffic and they keep the clutch depressed while waiting to go or while sitting at a light. When the TO bearing goes you have to disassemble the car the same as if you were replacing the clutch, so wisely most people choose to go ahead and replace the disc and pressure plate at the same time. That may give the impression that a lot more clutches are being replaced for failure than is really occuring. If you want to make your TO bearing last longer, get in the habit of flipping the car into neutral while sitting at lights and take you r foot off of the clutch pedal.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
No snobbery, but you might be interested in Porsche racing"..

Derek Bell won two World Sportscar Championship titles in 1985-86, the 24 Hours of Daytona three times in 1986-87 and 1989 and Le Mans five times in 1975, 1981, 1982, 1986 and 1987, mostly teamed with Jacky Ickx in one of the Porsche 936 and Porsche 956/Porsche 962 models. Ickx/Bell is nowadays considered as one of the most famous pairings in motorsport history. Bell is one of the most successful Porsche racing drivers of all time.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sn66p
Does anybody know if the pdk has the same concerns re: wear? Isn't the tranny supposed to make shifts seamless? If I downshift say from 3rd at 4K to 2nd at 5K, does the pdk rev match and minimize clutch wear?
Yep. PDK will perform a rev-matched downshift.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Ok so no more downshifting like that unless your heel/toe use. If your in third gear coming to a light just use the breaks. How do i figure out the rev matchs lets say from 3rd to 2nd
Two ways I use to tell if revs are properly matched:

- When you enter the lower gear, the car doesn't "jerk" at all (you just hear the lovely sound of a perfect downshift)

- When you enter the lower gear, the tach needle doesn't move (relative to your blipped revs)

Old 12-27-2011, 06:50 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Manifold
Two ways I use to tell if revs are properly matched:

- When you enter the lower gear, the car doesn't "jerk" at all (you just hear the lovely sound of a perfect downshift)

- When you enter the lower gear, the tach needle doesn't move (relative to your blipped revs)

Great info...

My advice on the track is to go with smoothness and sound of the shift and don't look at the tach. On the street you can use the tach.

Proper heel toeing was one of the hardest things for me to learn.

Before i could heel/toe or when I would miss the rev match on the track going from about 130 to 70 in turn 1 of NJMP thunderbolt I would get the most horrible squeal from the tranny to go along with the jerk. A constant reminder of failure.

It took allot of work to get it down smoothly but now I get lovely sound you mention and it makes it all worth while.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:27 AM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
New brake pads a 1/8 the price of a new clutch. Unless you absolutely have to, use your brakes!

I heard something akin to the above on Car Talk years ago and it's made me reconsider downshifting to slow the car ever since.

I think the key point is that there is no absolute right/wrong answer, it's situational. I would still regularly downshift to slow down if I thought I was entering a low traction area or in other similar circumstances, but I try not to do it too much based on the above.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
my practice is to put the car in the right gear. this is especially important when driving downhill or entering into a curve. 911 will oversteer on you if you are hard on the brakes in high gear.

so shift into a lower gear that matches the speed. don't drive in 6th and rely on your brakes alone when taking that freeway exit. shift before a curve or ramp so you'll stay in proper rev.

this is why F1 and PDK is superior to stick in the hands of your AVERAGE driver who doesn't know how to rev match and double clutch. not everyone should buy a stick shift, myself included....

Last edited by djantlive; 12-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.