997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PDK or 6 Speed Manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:52 PM
Lucky Me is on a distinguished road
PDK or 6 Speed Manual?

Hi Guys,
I had a deal put together on a 6 speed GTS but it fell apart last minute. I am now looking at another car which is better equipped and less expensive but it's a PDK car. What are your opinions on PDK vs. Stick? My last car was an SMG M6 so I have some experience with the auto/manual. I like the raw factor of the GTS in a manual but the PDK car is a full leather car with full power seats and i am really considering it. What do you guys think?

Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
MrMan is infamous around these partsMrMan is infamous around these parts
I love PDK but my first porsche was a Panamera.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:54 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
many discussions...it boils down to personal choice.

and if anyone says different....ignore them.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Atomic is on a distinguished road
that is a total, your call! I love to shift! so the real question is, what do you like to do, if you get a PDK but really like a 6 speed then you will regret it. if you really don't care which, then that is a different issue.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
many discussions...it boils down to personal choice.

and if anyone says different....ignore them.
He is right so ignore me. For me it depends on the car, in my C2S which is pretty much the same as GTS, I preffered the PDK. In a GT3 or 2 I would always chose manual if and when there is a choice for PDK.
I drove the manual C2S at the porsche driving school and realized that I thought the car was much better for me and faster in the PDK.
Again its up to you, the smg really does not compare to the PDK.
You need to drive them, make sure the sport button is on though.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
if you do a search of this forum "pdk vs manual" there is a thread like it, what seems on weekly basis. Although we didn't have one in about 3 weeks

Anyway, nobody can tell you what's better or which one to choose. The only way to decide is to try both yourself.

On personal note, I tried both and chose manual.

Good luck.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM
mozhacker will become famous soon enough
I have a PDK turbo. Love it and don't regret moving out of manuals finally after 24+ years. BUT....

1. Don't get PDK unless you get sport chrono package so you have sport and sport plus buttons.
-As ppl said, PDK vs. 6speed is a purely personal choice, no right or wrong answer - but not really much a debate is how utterly crappy, useless, and so confounding stupid the PDK in non-sport mode is. On my turbo in city driving going from 0 to 40mph one stop light to another, the idiotic non-sport PDK mode will upshift and stay in 7th gear at 35mph. Only way to not have that happen is be under hard acceleration which you'd rarely do in regular city street with traffic, and even then it will upshift very early. Almost lugging the engine really.

2. In sport mode, wow - so utterly fantastic it boggles the mind how useless those same german engineers made non-sport mode PDK.

3. PDK in manual mode - to each their own, but I consider PDK a manual transmission. I don't consider getting PDK meaning losing the ability to shift which 6speeders love. Some just don't like the loss of shifting via rowing the gears vs. paddle/button. Again, that's a personal thing so no right or wrong.
-So if you cant stand the thought of losing clutch pedal push/stick row - get the 6speed. If you want to try another way to drive a manual car, try the PDK sport mode and shift manually vs. leaving it in drive.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Lucky Me is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the responses guys. I love the clutch but I think I will go drive one at my local dealer. The car I am looking at is a couple hours away. Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Atomic and mozhacker hit it on the head. It is truly personal. I had a Cayman S with PDK and loved it. I then went to a Carrera S 6 speed and liked it as well. I'm now in a GTS PDK and extremely satisfied. I was also looking at a GTS 6 speed and at the last minute went with the PDK. My car stays in sport mode unless I'm on the highway.

Try to spend some time in the PDK car and play with it in sport and manual. Enjoy which ever one you choose.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
Drove a 6 speed for 12 years my 996 cab. Now have PDK 997 2012 cab S. Will never go back. Sport Crono plus a must.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
I always drive manuals including my 2012 GTS Cab.
I had a Panamera PDK loaner about a month ago, and I was really disappointed. I was really impressed with the car itself, but the PDK just felt like an automatic transmission to me. A nice automatic, yet an automatic, nonetheless.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !Manifold Is a GOD !
Each has distinct advantages, so go with your subjective preference. I enjoy the automatic in my C63 because you can just put your foot down and experience the car rocket, plus it's great for highway driving, but I prefer manual in pure sports cars like the 911. Think carefully about how you'll use the car and that may help you decide.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Silentrun is on a distinguished road
On my fifth Porsche, first PDK and I love it. On the track it's really brilliant and that coming from a GT3 RS. The RS is much more a race car and inputs gives you instant results and part of that is being connected through the transmission IMHO. Tracking the C2S in PDK is just a blast and fun more than "work."

Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Please be aware that no test drive will ever truly capture the essence of the PDK. It took a good 1000 to 1500 miles into ownership driving the car in several modes to really feel the magic of PDK. Having said that if you love to row gears then there is no substitute to 6 speed.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 12-30-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:04 AM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
Car magazine writers seem to always prefer manual when they test
high end cars

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK or 6 Speed Manual?