997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How Many Trim Levels Are Needed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:50 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
How Many Trim Levels Are Needed?

I was reading a post about a person trying to decide between 2 or 3 different models for a given situation. The OP was given some really good advice regarding his criteria.

BUT - as I was also contemplating a response, I immediately jump to 'Turbo' as my response.

The scenario dealt with winter driving, etc... So I considered the AWD of the Turbo. BUT - there are some other trim levels that may do the trick as well:

Carrera 4
Carrera 4 Cab
Carrera 4 S
Carrera 4 Cab
Carrera 4 GTS
Carrera 4 GTS Cab
Carrera 4 Targa
Carrera 4 Targa S
Turbo
Turbo Cab
Turbo S
Turbo S Cab

All AWD.

When going through the trim levels (off the top of my head - I may have left out one or more) - I counted 22 trims of the same model. WHY?

I realize that some people have some serious preferences. No problem. By why don't these get grouped together? From a business standpoint, it seems that some serious costs could be saved - for either the company (Porsche), or the consumer. I'm not going to get into the costs of the options that can add up to 50% of some Porsche models. But all of this is making my next purchase a lot more difficult than it should be. It's bad enough I have to choose between four R8 models (V8/V10/vert), but choosing a 911 to add to the mix is downright frustrating. I mean, when a fully optioned base C2 costs almost as much as Turbo, you know something isn't right.

I realize that most of us have enjoyed our Porsches (some more than others - we'll leave it at that). My question is not - why did you buy Porsche... but rather - why did you choose the trim level that you did? What steered you towards THAT trim level as opposed to another?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:22 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
When going through the trim levels (off the top of my head - I may have left out one or more) - I counted 22 trims of the same model. WHY?

I realize that some people have some serious preferences. No problem. By why don't these get grouped together?

But all of this is making my next purchase a lot more difficult than it should be. It's bad enough I have to choose between four R8 models (V8/V10/vert), but choosing a 911 to add to the mix is downright frustrating.
not to avoid ur question.. but what do u suggest for porsche ? i.e. how do u want them to consolidate the model line up? which model should they delete in ur opinion?

and why is buying a new car frustrating because the factory offers many varieties ?

(i would start with 2 or awd.. then figure out the power needed for me.. and maybe go with targa / cab / gt3 option.. then finally decide the accessories i want on that car.)

Old 01-27-2012, 12:28 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
not to avoid ur question.. but what do u suggest for porsche ? i.e. how do u want them to consolidate the model line up? which model should they delete in ur opinion?

and why is buying a new car frustrating because the factory offers many varieties ?

(i would start with 2 or awd.. then figure out the power needed for me.. and maybe go with targa / cab / gt3 option.. then finally decide the accessories i want on that car.)
You know - I'm not sure what I'd personally recommend.

I know that in the past, I've said there should be a C2S/GTS, C4S/4GTS, GT3 and Turbo. Make the best. I don't personally believe in intentionally inhibiting a car.

I can appreciate how configurable the 911 line up is, and that is the attraction to some. Perhaps that is what I don't like - is too many choices. Sure it's good for the selective, but is it better for most consumers (raises costs because of the wide range of product manufacturing/support)?

But before I get into my current thoughts - I'd like to read the responses of those who chose a specific trim over another.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I purchased a c2s because my pocket didnt let me hang with the big boys lol aka turbo's

Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
I usually start with what i'm going to be using it for.
I would only use it during the summer months so that would be a carrera 2 (i love 911s)
next, will i drive it everyday during those months, answer is no...so fuel economy is not a concern.
next are options, which models have the most option i like with it being cost effective (although cost effective is not the right term to use with these cars).

in the end, I chose the C2 GTS with aero kit because i can't afford the turbo...lol

Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM
JoeD911 has a spectacular aura aboutJoeD911 has a spectacular aura aboutJoeD911 has a spectacular aura about
I think your thread title and the question you are actually asking might confuse a bit.

Here is why I bought the car I did (2007 C4S coupe):

I live in Portland, OR. It rains often. Wanted a coupe (had an '86 Targa that leaked). I also wanted the sure-footedness of awd.

I wanted the most horsepower I could afford, so I went with the S.

Finally, the color, options and price were all agreeable to my better half.

Would not change any of this for the world.

Hope this answers your question.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:15 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sciloh
I usually start with what i'm going to be using it for.
I would only use it during the summer months so that would be a carrera 2 (i love 911s)
next, will i drive it everyday during those months, answer is no...so fuel economy is not a concern.
next are options, which models have the most option i like with it being cost effective (although cost effective is not the right term to use with these cars).

in the end, I chose the C2 GTS with aero kit because i can't afford the turbo...lol
Using your method of deduction, I would imagine that a GT3 would have been in line with the GTS pricing

Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Using your method of deduction, I would imagine that a GT3 would have been in line with the GTS pricing
due to my disability....pdk is a must

Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Yes, these are helping. I appreciate you guys taking the time to answer. I realize my title may be misleading. You've answered my question thoroughly.

Please, anybody, feel welcome to chime in.

("Options left to my better half" - sounds like my situation)

Old 01-28-2012, 04:45 AM
Jack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant futureJack667 has a brilliant future
I wanted a GT3, but needed back seats. In fact, if I didn't want rear seats, I would have bought a Cayman S.
I wanted a coupe bc I just had a cab and wanted to try the fixed roof. I also want to track this car more over time, and I'd like to evolve the car into a track car.
Similarly, I wanted RWD, bc my last car was a C4. Even though I drive in all kinds of ATL weather, which includes a fair amount of rain, but sometimes a bit of ice, it is still ATL. It's not that bad. And - MHO is that RWD is better for the track.
Of course, an S version is preferable to a base, for performance, brakes, etc - so that fit my plans much better.
So - C2S coupe was the ticket!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
jakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the roughjakesdad is a jewel in the rough
Adding all the trims levels is a good business decision as far as I can see. They've got the common shell and making expensive options available is smart. The only real difference would be the wide body and they also have lots of trim levels for that style.
It appears that every time you add a letter or number it's a 10K bump in the price.. and it's easy to accommodate the buyer on the assembly line. Plenty of people lining up for options and lots of options available. While the dealer can't stock all the different combinations it's easy to take an order form and start ringing up the bucks... Personally, I couldn't order a car because when picking all the great options I wouldn't know when to stop...

Old 01-28-2012, 08:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sciloh
due to my disability....pdk is a must
Got it!

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Vintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura aboutVintage TONE has a spectacular aura about
I love the way Porsche has their lineup of cars so diverse. Don't most people complain that when they go to buy a car, they are stuck with limited packages? A,B, or C?

Yes, there are many models, but that adds to the fun. It also makes you do your homework, which is important on such a large purchase.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
I love all the options. I bet many also do too. Ask the GTS owners.

They offer many options and this allows you to start with something very close to what you want. Then add on any other options. It makes sense because the vehicle is the same. I don't see where there would be much added cost or lost profit if they pulled a buyer off the sofa.

I read that Porsche produces the same exact vehicle every 14+ months. (actually it was 1.7 similar vehicles in a 12 month period ). Nice exclusivity for the owners.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
You missed a few variants:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Many Trim Levels Are Needed?