997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What's the best supercharger option for an '06 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
oufan2929 is on a distinguished road
What's the best supercharger option for an '06 997?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks--Andy

Old 02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Well, there are 2 very well known S/C systems online: VF-Engineering and TPC S/C kit. Both have there pluses and minuses. Both produce good power and fun factors. Do a search and you will get your fair shares of followers/supporters. There is another system that is very well made and looks almost totally like the stock engine bay. It's the Ruf Kompressor. Beautiful piece of work and a jaw dropping price to compliment that work.

It depends on your budget and needs. Having said that, I have the VF-Engineering kit. I like the characteristics of the Centrifugal type of S/C power delivery, compared to the Root Type S/C. I also like their approach to programing the ECU, instead of a piggy-back unit. I like the fact that they upgrade the fuel injectors, rather than adding additional injectors; and at the current pricing, the VF-Engineering one was a no brainer for me.

In the end, you have to look at what are your criteria for the "best S/C".

Originally Posted by oufan2929
Any input is appreciated! Thanks--Andy

Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM
GAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to beholdGAM3OVR is a splendid one to behold
Go the turbo route with TPC - no idea why anyone would do otherwise (turbo vs. sc)

Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GAM3OVR
Go the turbo route with TPC - no idea why anyone would do otherwise (turbo vs. sc)
IMO...there are ONLY two options.VF engineering supercharger and the TPC turbo!
I personally owned a VF kit.The one thing I absolutely loved about the VF supercharger was.....opening the hood and seeing peoples reaction,where as the TPC is alot more stealthy.
Out of the box...the TPC will make more power.(period) Along with that the TPC turbo kit includes headers and an exhaust note that I was told sounds awesome.Something that the supercharger may need to sound as good.So adding exhaust to the VF kit........cost wise....makes the TPC turbo stand-out!
Just my $.02

Stacy

Old 02-01-2012, 06:21 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
Hi Andy and Stacy,

I've got the TPC turbo. I've had it for several years now and it's worked well. It's a great thrill to stomp on the gas and it has a great sound. It's tucked away in my garage for the winter now, but I never get tired of heading out to the garage at night and sitting in it, praying for the warm weather ahead!

Take care,
Bob

Old 02-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Another happy TPC turbo owner, I like the linear power, it feels almost naturally aspirated. I also like that you can control the boost with just a twist of a ****.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ynot
Another happy TPC turbo owner, I like the linear power, it feels almost naturally aspirated. I also like that you can control the boost with just a twist of a ****.
I've had some local guys at the breakfast club say that adding forced induction will cause the car run considerably hotter, especially up by the Eisenhower tunnel. Have you noticed that? What temp does yours run?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
i saw a nice solution i liked on one local supercharged car where owner got a dual radiator in front - usual 3rd radiator and also custom radiator for intercooler, imho it is a very good way to deal with heat issue.

i do not beleive FI solution is good for any M96/M97 motor and you will play with fire if you decide to go down this way and if car will see a lot of track or other sport activity running close to redline for long enough time - FI is just not recommended. go and buy a GT3 car instead, it will make much more sense. any alteration of stock engine reduces its potential life time but for how much - no one will be able to say, so, you better have a spare cash to buy a new motor ($20K) if anything happens to your supercharged one. but while it runs - it will run great, a feel of almost 450 horses at wheels is nice indeed.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
go and buy a GT3 car instead
+1 Paul!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
+1 Paul!
yeah...
with that been said i am going to keep driving my old wheels, at least for now. there are too many other priorities to pay for, unfortunately, but if one starts to think how to 'get more' from current car - it is better to upgrade to next level and make sure it still has some warranty left on it.

right now i cannot say i want to risk gt3 amount of money for repairs, C2 costs a bit less to deal with so i will stick with it for a while...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:37 AM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
The 997 C4 has 2 radiators in the front bumper. With TPC's suggestion I added the 3rd radiator in the center bumper slot. The temps haven't been noticeably different pre-turbo or post turbo.

As for the risks of engine failure, it's certainly a possibility, but if you use 6speed as a guide, there's endless posts worried about failure, but few if any that actually experienced failure tied to FI. Yup, another engine is $20k but a GT3 is more than $20k upgrade than my 997.1! And as Paul noted, the costs of buying new is so high, that if your car is running well and you don't have money to burn, why bother. I spent a little bit of time doing the math and it made sense for me.

No regrets and I do enjoy blasting by you guys (all friends of course) with normally aspirated engines!

Bob

Old 02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
yeah...
with that been said i am going to keep driving my old wheels, at least for now. there are too many other priorities to pay for, unfortunately, but if one starts to think how to 'get more' from current car - it is better to upgrade to next level and make sure it still has some warranty left on it.

right now i cannot say i want to risk gt3 amount of money for repairs, C2 costs a bit less to deal with so i will stick with it for a while...
That's cool, you will get there one day.

As much as my C2S was modified, it won't even hold a candle to a stock GT3, let alone the one I picked up.

I posted a few years ago, after a test drove a friends 7.1RS, that the C2S is a totally different car, nice, but not the same level.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
That's cool, you will get there one day.

As much as my C2S was modified, it won't even hold a candle to a stock GT3, let alone the one I picked up.

I posted a few years ago, after a test drove a friends 7.1RS, that the C2S is a totally different car, nice, but not the same level.
engine is not, suspension can be improved quite a bit to be close enough if not better than any stock one, but, it all is just a certain mental state - to always pursuit latest and greatest or just have fun with what you got...
there are plenty of gt3 drivers who get passed by 944 cars and spec miatas. any car is as good as its driver, and for DEs at least it does not make any difference what to drive as long as it has a motor in it, you just keep working on your own goals...

i do not think i will ever buy gt3 car - i do not need it for street and probably will not think it is enough for track, next car will be something track built, and most probably not a porsche. i think of doing someting based from '09 z06 car, will see. i am getting bored with porsches and $60k for blown metzger engine is not even funny, especially compared to how much vettes block costs. but first i`ll need to obtain most of infrastructure to support all this fun, then we`ll see.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DoninDEN
I've had some local guys at the breakfast club say that adding forced induction will cause the car run considerably hotter, especially up by the Eisenhower tunnel. Have you noticed that? What temp does yours run?
No, I have not noticed it running hot, the needle is usually hovering in the middle. Like Bob I have 3 radiators, no issues so far. I have not been up to the Eisenhower tunnel but I doubt if it will run hot there.