997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Upgraded my steering wheel...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Upgraded my steering wheel...

I can't believe it took me this long!

My 997 came with the ridiculously big and ugly (no offense for the ones that like them) triangular steering wheel. I felt that I was driving this 1970's 4x4 truck. Big and skinny... that part that bothered me the most was the size of the airbag, so, redoing the original steering wheel was out of the question. The easiest step up was to buy a round steering wheel (from the 997.1) and a new round airbag too. If I was this deep in the game, why not change the whole thing for the flat bottom, all black 997.2 steering wheel? I was lucky a friend that just got a 2012 Cayman R destined for race, was more than willing to sell me his steering setup once he took delivery of his car... that day was today. Installation took all its 10 minutes and mostly because of the battery disconnect, the rest went pretty easy. The results are like a new car. After testing the 991 on the track this past thursday, I really liked the feel of the steering wheel... well, this steering wheel is exactly the same (sans the pdk) of the red car I was driving...
Love the leather padded, the quality of the leather, the flat bottom and the thumb rest.
For some odd reason, my horn works. I didn't get the control module either.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

joel

Old 02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great and is a big improvement. I have the round air bag wheel in my '07 but does not look as good as this newer wheel. Am curious why you believe the horn should not have worked ? While Porsche advertises lots of changes with model updates, they don't often change the simple things that can be utilized in all their models.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
very nice..like your pedals also.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:39 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
I was under the impression that the 2010-2012 steering wheels weren't compatible with the 997.1 (suncoast website).

Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Jalbrah is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by White Rock
I was under the impression that the 2010-2012 steering wheels weren't compatible with the 997.1 (suncoast website).
This was my understanding as well - how did you make it work? I would love to get a 997.2 GT3 RS wheel in my car!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:27 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
well, in my case, I just wanted non multifunction 2012 steering wheel manual car, for my no multifunction 2005 manual car. the more added features you ad, like for example, multifunction, heated, PDF paddles instead of buttons and more, the more layers of complications you may end with... not to mention the dreaded visit to the dealer to programming and setting something they are not supposed, willing or excited to do....
in some cases, you may need a steering wheel control unit in the event your horn doesn't work... some other cases Evan alignment to get the steering wheel dead center. none of that was needed in my case...
Ryan from suncoast quoted me for the same exact set up:

black sport steering: 589
black leather airbag 835
steering wheel control unit 232

thanks to a willing soul, I was able to round the airbag and steering for only 850
the T55 torn bit costed me 10 and did everything, including testing, under 10 minutes.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM
JPSJR can only hope to improve
Cars looking sweet Joel!! Nice work, how are the lights going?

Joe

Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM
fantastic... really love them... thanks for the kind words!
joel

Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Are you sure that airbag will deploy if needed?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm not going to find out, but no airbag warning light either!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM
GTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really niceGTRR is just really nice
That looks awesome Joel! I have a dreaded tip so I can't do the swap

Old 02-19-2012, 07:47 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Very nice Joel. Is that an X97 gear shift **** ??? Rare and big $$$ if so ? Well done !

Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 AM
yes, it is. thanks for the kind words!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Nice looking. From what is visible from the photos, the size of the wheels looks to be very similar comparing what is visible in the bakgound using the wheel as a picture frame. Much better looking for sure.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:51 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Nicely done. "Little" mods like these clearly enhance your overall driving experience IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded my steering wheel...