997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help me understand what my 40k mile maintenance should be

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Tito_gsx is on a distinguished road
Help me understand what my 40k mile maintenance should be

I've read the standard 40k mile maintenance routine, but since my car is 6+ years old, I want to understand what preemptive measures I should take on the non routine service.

My planned 40k mile routine is:

Diagnosis system check
Visual check underneath car
Change oil
Change air filter/pollen filter
Check brake system - change if necessary
Check hoses, steering gear, axle joints, drive shafts, exhaust, tires, etc.
Brake/clutch flush

Optional maintenance
Alternator cable - Common problem on 05 and 06's I believe, haven't changed on my car yet.
AOS - air oil separator, I've heard of some failures, should I replace before?
Spark plugs - I'm planning on changing these as car is 6+ years
Coil packs - same
Drive belt - same
Water pump - I've also heard of some failures.
Change coolant - I've heard Porsche coolant is lifetime, but my mind says otherwise
Change transmission oil - Porsche says 12yrs/120k miles.....sounds optimistic too, I'm sure DE drivers will change alot sooner.
Anything else?

Would like feedback on what optional maintenance I should go with. My car drives flawlessly so I'm partially on the side 'dont fix it if it aint broke'.

thanks in advance

Old 02-23-2012, 11:41 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
My car was approaching 40K miles shortly after I bought it. Because it was new (to me) and to be on the safe side, I did the following:

- New spark plugs and two new coils (they were damaged/cracked/shorted, although working).
- New Drive Belt.
- New air filter
- New carbon activated cabin filter
- New oil + Filter + Drain plug.
- New stainless Steel braided Brake lines.
- Replacement of the Brake Fluid (yellow to Blue).
- Clean up of the cooling wells (front bumper)
- Upgrade of the coolant tank plug (P/N ends in -04)
- Resetting of the codes (there were none) with my Durametric.
- Dectane taillight upgrade (for the fun and aesthetic side).

Next will be the rear tires and the pressure sensors, as two are defective (batteries exhausted). Alternator/starter cable is also on my list of to-dos.

Yves

Last edited by yvesvidal; 02-23-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Who are you getting to do the work? There are a few reputable shops that should be able to give you this advice. PM if you want me to suggest a good non BS shop to deal with locally.

Originally Posted by Tito_gsx
I've read the standard 40k mile maintenance routine, but since my car is 6+ years old, I want to understand what preemptive measures I should take on the non routine service.

My planned 40k mile routine is:

Diagnosis system check
Visual check underneath car
Change oil
Change air filter/pollen filter
Check brake system - change if necessary
Check hoses, steering gear, axle joints, drive shafts, exhaust, tires, etc.
Brake/clutch flush

Optional maintenance
Alternator cable - Common problem on 05 and 06's I believe, haven't changed on my car yet.
AOS - air oil separator, I've heard of some failures, should I replace before?
Spark plugs - I'm planning on changing these as car is 6+ years
Coil packs - same
Drive belt - same
Water pump - I've also heard of some failures.
Change coolant - I've heard Porsche coolant is lifetime, but my mind says otherwise
Change transmission oil - Porsche says 12yrs/120k miles.....sounds optimistic too, I'm sure DE drivers will change alot sooner.
Anything else?

Would like feedback on what optional maintenance I should go with. My car drives flawlessly so I'm partially on the side 'dont fix it if it aint broke'.

thanks in advance

Old 02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
How many miles are on your car (guessing about 40k)? The reason I ask is because I always thought the Porsche maintenance schedule suggests major services at 4 years or 40k miles, whichever comes first (then 8 years/80k, 12 years/120k, etc.). I did my 40k service at the dealer when the car had 34k and was 5 years old. The following year, I had a different service advisor (same dealer) tell me I did the 40k maintenance a little early - so what do you guys do? Do you go by mostly mileage or time???

Another case in point, the drive belt is supposed to be changed at 6 years/60k but the dealer keeps telling me my belt is fine (after almost 7.5 years and 45k miles)!?! Seems like they are going by mileage...

And to answer your question, that service involved full inspections of everything you mentioned, oil change, air filter, pollen filter, wiper blades, spark plugs, all ignition coils, and a brake flush. Never heard of a clutch flush, what's that?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I go with miles and years.

A serpentine belt ages, even if it is not driven. For less than $50, I'd rather change it earlier instead of being stranded with no alternator, no power steering, no engine cooling and no A/C. I wrote a DIY instructions on how to change it yourself.

The clutch is hydraulically activated as are the brakes. The same fluid residing in the brake fluid tank, goes into the brakes and in the clutch. Of course, the fluid going to the clutch is not submitted to the same abuse as the fluid pushing the pistons in the calipers. However, it is a good practice to change both, when you flush your system.

Yves

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. So i'm leaning on not changing waterpump, alternator cable and AOS as I don't experience any related issues.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Ed, pm sent

Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
I JUST got mine done today (40K) svc and paid $950 w/ parts and labor. Well worth it for piece of mind. Also had an RMS leak (covered by warranty), so while it was out, had them replace the clutch as well and let me tell you, it feels AMAZINGLY better than before. Also replaced the battery. Car feels EXTREMELY FRESH and NEW!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
Tiny Callas recommends the water pump should be replaced every 50K miles. The pumps can go at anytime - really. When you replace the pump, replace the belt unless you replace the belt before. Use a reputable shop and listen to them.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM
So I was driving home yesterday and my clutch goes kaput! The clutch pedal felt light and friction point completely changed. I was able to limp to my shop who nicely stayed past working hours for me to arrive.

So now that clutch and rms are being replaced, anything else I should get? I'm thinking alternator cable would be a good idea. Comments are appreciated.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
So I was driving home yesterday and my clutch goes kaput! The clutch pedal felt light and friction point completely changed. I was able to limp to my shop who nicely stayed past working hours for me to arrive.

So now that clutch and rms are being replaced, anything else I should get? I'm thinking alternator cable would be a good idea. Comments are appreciated.
For the $90 dollars it would be worth it to get the cable done, considering they'll be tearing it apart anyway. Can't image changing this would add more than 30/60 minutes to your labor rate versus the 5/6Hours they state if you're doing this on it's own.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
fp997 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tito. Sorry to hear about your clutch.

I was wondering where do you usually bring your car to? I just got my 997 a little over a year ago and am looking for an indie to do some service items. Thanks.