997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

$2 DRL solution for fog lights

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Utkinpol, is "Utkinpol DRL Hack" a decent official name of this procedure, or do you prefer something else? You did the work, you deserve the credit!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Wonderful job to the OP on this hack! so with this hack, when in "home" position DRL is on when engine is on. How is it affected in a long dark tunnel if it has some kind of light sensor? Also when its in "home" position I arrive at destination in daytime, I open and close the door, the courtesy LED home light does not turn on? but if arrive at home in dark garage, it should turn on courtesy home light for 30 seconds? Just want to make sure before I buy the DRL LED, w/o the Dectane module.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Just had the hack done on mine yesterday. Here is what happens;

I turned off the DRL option on my car so headlights do not come on anymore.
The LED Driving Lights are on when the switch is in the Home position and stay on.

I drove through a tunnel during the day and headlights did not turn on..don't think that ever happened before. I didn't notice if gauges lite up or not.

When I turn the switch to the first position to the right, the driving lights turn off and the side lights and gauges light up. Pull the switch out and the driving lights turn on again.

Another turn to the right and the headlights and everything else is on.

The interior lights come on when the door is open even in the daytime and operate as normal and turn off in 30 seconds as that's what I have programmed.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Vincent997S will become famous soon enough
Hi Utkinpol,

do you have on your car the sensor who can the lights turn on in a tunnel ?
I don't have it on my 997 (2005)!
May i use your Hack in this case ? My DRL's from Dectane are in place (plug and play) and i have the famous Dectane 03 module not yet installed, but your hack seems easier.
Thanks in advance for your answer and sorry because the 'english' is not my best friend.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vincent997S
Hi Utkinpol,

do you have on your car the sensor who can the lights turn on in a tunnel ?
I don't have it on my 997 (2005)!
no one has it in this meaning.
all p-cars have so called 'sun sensor' but this sensor does not work with high or low beams at all.

like i wrote before there is a sensor dependent behaviour of how stock 'home' fog light function operates before hack - car only lights up fog lights when it is dark outside when you open your door with light switch in 'home' position. low beams never turn on from sun sensor.

what i wrote about was an idea to find a signal from that sensor on front ECU and use it as a driver for aftermarket relay.

'hack' i did simple connects 'switch' pins A33 and A38 on a front ECU. i hope it should be safe thing to do but again, if you do it you do it on your own risk, do not blame me if you mess up anything.

i also uploaded wiring diagrams for those sections.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
cu front end.pdf (320.1 KB, 234 views)
File Type: pdf
front ecu.pdf (207.4 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by utkinpol; 03-09-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:52 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Your right. It works exactly as you mention. So far my "hack" is working just find and I get out of it what I want. The sweet thing about the ROTtech LED's is that beam that is in the middle of the lights. The bad thing is that it's not very bright and is not that visible in the daylight. At night though it's really nice looking. However at night, I usually have my driving, "fog", lights on. I need to check and see if at night when I turn on my headlights, the middle light is on since I turned off the DRL option.

During the day though those LED's are very bright and make the car very visible. I'm happy with the hack...hopefully no problems!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Your right. It works exactly as you mention. So far my "hack" is working just find and I get out of it what I want. The sweet thing about the ROTtech LED's is that beam that is in the middle of the lights. The bad thing is that it's not very bright and is not that visible in the daylight. At night though it's really nice looking. However at night, I usually have my driving, "fog", lights on. I need to check and see if at night when I turn on my headlights, the middle light is on since I turned off the DRL option.

During the day though those LED's are very bright and make the car very visible. I'm happy with the hack...hopefully no problems!
Help me here. You seem to say the LED's aren't very bright in daylight, then say the are very bright during the day. Did I misunderstand you?

Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Help me here. You seem to say the LED's aren't very bright in daylight, then say the are very bright during the day. Did I misunderstand you?
On my DRL's there is an LED Bar that runs down the middle of the assembly, it separate's the turn light and the driving light. That LED is not very bright in the day, however shows well at night. The lower section of the light..the driving light is very bright day or night.

Did that help? Sorry for the confusion....

Old 03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
On my DRL's there is an LED Bar that runs down the middle of the assembly, it separate's the turn light and the driving light. That LED is not very bright in the day, however shows well at night. The lower section of the light..the driving light is very bright day or night.

Did that help? Sorry for the confusion....
OK, got it. Thanks. The middle bar is a parking light on the 997.1, but it is a DRL on the 997.2 I believe.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
HIporsche is on a distinguished road
Thank you utkinpol for this hack! Going to get the taps this weekend and complete the mod. +1

Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM
HIporsche is on a distinguished road
Completed the hack in 5 minutes, thanks to utkinpol and everyone else on this thread. It hack was as simple as stated by others and it did exactly what I was looking for. IMHO, as good as the Dectane module and now I do not have to worry about my battery maintainer.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by keninirvine
OK, got it. Thanks. The middle bar is a parking light on the 997.1, but it is a DRL on the 997.2 I believe.
So what happens is with this hack, I can just turn on the headlights and the Middle LED bar is lit up at night and looks sweet. I will have to get pics and post it.

Last edited by RaidersR1; 03-11-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Folks, i just went to start my car after 2 days and it was cranking quite slow. I need to check again if this hack causes any additional battery drain. Be careful with it. I have too much custom stuff on my car now so it could have been something else too, I am not sure

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM
Well, it looks like I will not be able to do anything until next week monday. If anybody has time and a multimeter - it has to be checked if light switch circuit may cause any drain in default 'off' and 'home' positions. For those who did not do this hack yet - I would recommend to wait until confirmation if there are no issues with this method. I may be paranoid but, well, it is a hack after all.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Well, it looks like I will not be able to do anything until next week monday. If anybody has time and a multimeter - it has to be checked if light switch circuit may cause any drain in default 'off' and 'home' positions. For those who did not do this hack yet - I would recommend to wait until confirmation if there are no issues with this method. I may be paranoid but, well, it is a hack after all.
I appreciate your attention to these details. Too many people go for the easy solution without checking to make sure it is the right solution. Looking forward to hearing what you find is the cause of your battery drain. Rep points to you for staying on top of this and raising the caution to others.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: $2 DRL solution for fog lights