997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Change face dials- Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Beru is on a distinguished road
Change face dials- Help

Hi everybody,
does anyone has ever changed the face dials on his car.I'm in Canada and look to do this in order to read in KMH. I actually look at the Cargraphic dials and I wonder if one has ever done that and if so, would it be possible to post a pic to see what it look. The price is not cheap and I don't want to make a bad move...
thanks guys. ( I'm going back to work and will read your comments in few hours)

Old 03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I think the issue is not the face dials but the gauge needles that are easy to break and impossible to replace.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM
It is the first time I see about the fragile needles.. A mechanic here ensure that he can perform that without problem.. I think I will take few days of reflexion.. If I make a move I will let you know and post some pics. Thanks PTParks

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
they do it all the time. you need a needle puller tool.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:54 AM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Beru
It is the first time I see about the fragile needles.. A mechanic here ensure that he can perform that without problem.. I think I will take few days of reflexion.. If I make a move I will let you know and post some pics. Thanks PTParks
i've always been interested in this as well. please keep us posted with pics. is there a link to the gauges you are looking at?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
here's a DIY on the gauge cluster removal:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ml#post5806269

and where i'm getting red gauges :

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/99...uge_Faces.html

Old 03-07-2012, 07:23 AM
jwully is on a distinguished road
I did it

I made the conversion from black to silver gauge faces myself. Look up how to remove your gauge cluster in DIY. Once the bolts are removed the gauge cluster is still locked in there pretty tight, but it does come out. Be sure to protect the surface of the leather and plastic around the cluster as you pull it out.

Then as everyone stated above be VERY CAREFULL popping off the needles. The stem of each needle resides on is a clear plastic shaft for light to be transferred through the needle. The needled must come off straight up, not at an angle. Although the needles do come off rather easy.

When reinstalling the needles be carefull not to push down too hard. Remember the needles are going back on the clear plastic shaft, which I think is tied to plastic gears.....All which are easy to break.

If you are not comfortable doing this then pay the $$$ to have a gauge shop do the transfer. Buying a replacement clusters is way more $$$$$.

Just my $.02......Good luck.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:48 PM
wolfnards has a spectacular aura aboutwolfnards has a spectacular aura about
Pics please! Did this would be a great part of diy if documented!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Would going from a MPH to KMH cluster not involve more than just replacing the dials?

Originally Posted by Beru
Hi everybody,
does anyone has ever changed the face dials on his car.I'm in Canada and look to do this in order to read in KMH. I actually look at the Cargraphic dials and I wonder if one has ever done that and if so, would it be possible to post a pic to see what it look. The price is not cheap and I don't want to make a bad move...
thanks guys. ( I'm going back to work and will read your comments in few hours)

Old 03-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Would going from a MPH to KMH cluster not involve more than just replacing the dials?
I think that the only other thing to do is to reprogram the onboard computer in order to have the digital reading in KMH
I have now ordered the gages face dials from Cargraphic. It's on its way and I will let you know more as soon as possible. Thanks guys.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Silverbullet911 is on a distinguished road
I was considering converting the MPH to KPH, but decided to try the digital read out before I made the conversion. I never use the speedo dial, but rather the digital at all times...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Exactly my scenario...

Originally Posted by Silverbullet911
I was considering converting the MPH to KPH, but decided to try the digital read out before I made the conversion. I never use the speedo dial, but rather the digital at all times...

Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Hopefully this will help.

Removing the gauge face is a little difficult.

First, remove the screws behind the cluster. The grey part holds the clear acrylic lenses, and the black part covers the actual instrument cluster. They are two halves of a shell, and are held together by several plastic clips that will break if you are not careful.

Cover the acrylic face with something that won't scratch.

First picture represents the front half of the gauge cluster.

Notice that the blue arrows indicate plastic clip retainers - there are 8 clips total.

Red arrows indicate inserts into the back half of the gauge cluster.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bbywu; 03-13-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Front half, bottom view.

Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Front half, top view

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Change face dials- Help