997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Burnt my fingers on exhaust tips!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Spec-T is on a distinguished road
Burnt my fingers on exhaust tips!

So after reading that the burning smell from my 997.2 was pretty common after a spirited run, I didn't think too much of it. However, after a semi decent run for just a few miles down the street, I walked to the back of my car just to see how strong the smell was ( wasn't too bad), and when I touched the exhaust tips, I literally burnt my fingers.

Is it suppose to really get THAT hot?? I have the fabspeed x-pipe connected which I installed myself, and that too gets extremely hot. Also, is that crackling sound from the bottom of the car when you turn the engine off normal?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:30 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Spec-T
So after reading that the burning smell from my 997.2 was pretty common after a spirited run, I didn't think too much of it. However, after a semi decent run for just a few miles down the street, I walked to the back of my car just to see how strong the smell was ( wasn't too bad), and when I touched the exhaust tips, I literally burnt my fingers.

Is it suppose to really get THAT hot?? I have the fabspeed x-pipe connected which I installed myself, and that too gets extremely hot. Also, is that crackling sound from the bottom of the car when you turn the engine off normal?

OK maybe I am missing something here.
The car burns fuel, the fuel fumes usually around 495F. That comes out of the exhaust and you are surprised that you burnt your fingers?
I am surprised you still have fingers
Sorry I know it is not a laughing matter.
However if in the future anyone of you has a problem like that, immediately put the burnt area under cool (not cold) water, this will cool down the affected area and prevent the heat from spreading deeper into the tissue. Some might say there is risk of infection from the "dirty water" but it is not greater than the damage from the deep heat. Good luck. Most probably you will have a nice blister or 2.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Well, yeah.

What were you thinking?

I once worked with a guy who had his Phd in Mechnical Engineering. One day he was watching one of the welders in the shop finish grind a small test piece he was making. The "doctor" then reach down and picked up the piece that had just come from the grinding bench. Needless to say, he dropped it fast. From that day on, the welders had a square painted on the steel table next the grinder and wrote "Hot!" above it to keep the "doctor" from doing it again which were all sure he would.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:21 PM
JoeD911 has a spectacular aura aboutJoeD911 has a spectacular aura aboutJoeD911 has a spectacular aura about
Hot things burn, sharp things cut, dogs bite, taxes suck and death is inevitable. I think you are covered now.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:58 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
^ lol true

Old 04-10-2012, 05:16 PM
Spec-T is on a distinguished road
Lol. A simple "yes that's normal" would have answered the question too. Thanks fellas...

Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Spec-T
... when I touched the exhaust tips, I literally burnt my fingers.
Originally Posted by JoeD911
Hot things burn, sharp things cut, dogs bite, taxes suck and death is inevitable. I think you are covered now.
thx for the good laugh

Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Don't take offense........you did grab the exhaust.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:36 AM
b2sc is on a distinguished road
For the record, touching lit matches and recently used stove burners will also result in burning fingers.

But in reality, I realized that exhausts are hot a long time ago doing the same thing when I deceided to see how smooth the header pipe on my Honda XR75 was after a long ride in the woods... Those lessons stick with you!!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
are we on candid camera...?

Old 04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
I think you wish you never started this thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wow, this forum is changing. I have spent many years here, and seen a lot of stupid threads, this one takes the cake. WTF were you thinking? being absent minded enough to touch a hot exhaust tip is one thing, posting a thread about it is stupid.

Can't we have an M3 vs 997 thread again!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Wow, this forum is changing. I have spent many years here, and seen a lot of stupid threads, this one takes the cake. WTF were you thinking? being absent minded enough to touch a hot exhaust tip is one thing, posting a thread about it is stupid.

Can't we have an M3 vs 997 thread again!
how about ur favorite topic, the DME report ?

or DME on automatic ?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
Just think what side pipes on a viper or cobra can do to your leg. OUCH!!!

Old 04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
mine got so hot one day at the track that it disintegrated the black powder coat on my tips.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Burnt my fingers on exhaust tips!