997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery Drain after 4days?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Need4Speed12 is on a distinguished road
Battery Drain after 4days?

Has any of you guys have issues with battery draining if you didnt drive your car for 4 days or so without starting engine?

Just got back from out of town last night, was bout to take car out for a spin and it wouldnt start...

Old 04-18-2012, 12:28 PM
MB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to beholdMB7000 is a splendid one to behold
Was the car left locked or unlocked?

Old 04-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Sciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the roughSciloh is a jewel in the rough
I don't drive mine for a couple of weeks and have no problems

Old 04-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Car was unlocked with V1 Radar plugged in...

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
I've left mine locked at the airport for as long as 7 days and have left it in the garage at home unlocked for the same length of time with no starting issues.

Was it really dead as in it wouldn't turn over at all, or did it just crank real slow? Sometimes slow crank can be due to a bad ground cable. Charge it up real good and if it goes flat again it may be time for a new battery

Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Need4Speed12
If the V1 was powered up then that's your problem...plus maybe a weak battery to begin with.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by TT2911
I've left mine locked at the airport for as long as 7 days and have left it in the garage at home unlocked for the same length of time with no starting issues.

Was it really dead as in it wouldn't turn over at all, or did it just crank real slow? Sometimes slow crank can be due to a bad ground cable. Charge it up real good and if it goes flat again it may be time for a new battery

Yea, just a slow crank to the point that it wont turn over...All interior lights turn on when i open the door.

Funny thing is, this is pretty much a brand new battery, maybe 3months old..

Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM
TT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really niceTT2911 is just really nice
Yea, just a slow crank to the point that it wont turn over...All interior lights turn on when i open the door.

Funny thing is, this is pretty much a brand new battery, maybe 3months old..
If the battery is new and the radar detector isn't the culprit, then it may be the ground cable issue. The dealer can check it or there is a voltage drop procedure in the threads you can follow to see if it's the ground cable going bad.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I've had my car sitting for 3 weeks in the garage and it started up fine. If the battery cannot crank the engine after 4 days, and the battery is working right, then there is a drain on the battery such as a plugged in accessory that left the battery flat, or the power isn't getting from the battery to the starter, such as the cabling.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
did you have trouble with the last battery? why did u replace? check the easy stuff first. see if the new battery cables are tight. it should be able to sit a while and still start unless something is draining.
i d check the alternator and see if its charging after that.

Last edited by cerbomark; 04-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
rag1998 is on a distinguished road
Any audio components in the car that can be draining the battery/left the door slightly open/ an interior light on by any-chance? If its none of those and the grounds are good it sounds like an alternator issue!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i remember reading somewhere that when u lock the 997 and the alarm is armed, the car goes into a sleeping mode.. This is to to prevent the battery draining too fast.
keep in mind tho, after few days in sleeping mode, u may have to open the car manually using the key, rather than the remote.

IMO four days is too short for the battery to be drained from 'not driving'.. so the only culprit seems to be the V1 left plugged in and powered on.

Do u always leave on the V1 plugged in ? u may want to hardwire it so it only comes on when the key is in accessory position.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Leaving the car parked for extended periods of time - over one month - should be no problem at all. I leave mine when I'm out of town for much longer and have never (in 3 different P's) had an issue. Something is draining the battery and it may/may not be the detector.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Sharkys will become famous soon enough
You have an '06. Have your mechanic Check the voltage drop at the battery and verify it is within specification. Search battery/alternator wiring harness on this forum as there are known issues.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
zer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sharkys
You have an '06. Have your mechanic Check the voltage drop at the battery and verify it is within specification. Search battery/alternator wiring harness on this forum as there are known issues.
Just had my cable replaced for the exact same symptoms... New battery, would drain after 4-5 days. Trickle charger topped it back off, was good another 3-4 days, then dead again. Cable is too weak and eventually corrodes, can't supply enough juice from the alternator to charge the battery. Get it looked at, but be warned it's a half day job from the dealer if that turns out to be the issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery Drain after 4days?