997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Cabriolet top marks and a few rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
vjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of light
Cabriolet top marks and a few rattles

My new-to-me 06 cab (34k miles) has some white fade marks on the top, looks like some slight wear from folding. It also has some circles on it that I have seen on other 997 cabs, they must be from the top structure. Are there any products out there to rejuvenate the fabric? Can anyone recommend a great detailer in the Boston area?

There are also some rattles from either the top or the rear windows, are there any TSBs about those that I might be able to point out to the service advisor at the Porsche dealership? The headliner is bunching at the rear corners with the top up, so they will be getting into it for that anyway. It's a CPO car, not sure whether rattles would be covered under CPO, but since I just bought it they will probably at least look into it for me.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I have a 06 C2S cab. My top is navy blue, and I cleaned and dyed it a few months ago, which helped to even out the color. I'll need to dig out the receipt for the products I used and where I got them. Those circular marks are from the pads that rest against the top in the stowed position.

I have a rattle over the driver window, coming from somewhere in the roof mechanism. Initially the sound seems to be coming from the door panel, but when I move my head over to that area, it is definitely coming from the top, not the door. I've inquired at dealer and they've never had any luck finding it. I was also told it wouldn't be covered under CPO unless a defective part was involved. I have found that if I put the roof down and then up again, the sound disappears for a while. Sometimes, while at a stop light, I'll just release the roof for a foot or so, then put it back up, and it cures the rattle for a while. I have felt up in there and tightened torx screws in the frame etc, but have never found the specific cause. Let me know if you ever find it.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
regarding the noise, you may want to check the cross bow that is on top of the headliner. sometimes they rattle with bumps or wind. they need to be hot glued together. if you get squeaking where the header meets the top, it would be lubricating the header or a flocking panel is warped.

as far as the marks, is that where there is wrinkling, typically at the c pillar? if so, keeping the top up when not driving will help to smooth it out. spraying the top protectant after cleaning the top will also make the top more durable and slightly darker. i use the protectant every year but 6 month is better if you park under the sun or drive in rain a lot.

Old 05-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
All cabbies have some little rattle or squeak from time to time. At least all I've ever owned. That's why you drive with the top down

Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
vjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of lightvjd3 is a glorious beacon of light
Great info, thanks ... the car is pretty tight most of the time but there is a definite rattle in my left ear at all times.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:03 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
check the the two Torx bolts (t-30) on both sides of top

see pics (na011)

also (per na011)

Also try lubing the joints with "DuPont Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant". You can buy this at Lowe's.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...n-chain-saver/

Use 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the rubber parts. The 303 is a great product. I use it on all vinyl, rubber & leather. The 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is good for your top. Both protect from UV rays.

http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fm?category=58

Attached Images    
Old 05-15-2012, 03:10 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
My light rattle definitely isn't the torx bolts, and isn't rubber seals. It is something more like a piece of plastic rattling/vibrating against the inside of the top.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
My light rattle definitely isn't the torx bolts, and isn't rubber seals. It is something more like a piece of plastic rattling/vibrating against the inside of the top.
Ken, try checking the screws that hold the sun visor. (u gotta pop a little plastic cover open to get access)

sometimes they are loose and it sounds like its coming from the roof.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'm wondering if mine might not be the driver's seatbelt reel. I have to investigate a little bit more. But if they replace the headliner, as I hope they will, or at least remove it, I would guess that would be a good time to have them tighten and lube everything in the mechanism.

Great pics to show the bolts, thanks!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
Ken, try checking the screws that hold the sun visor. (u gotta pop a little plastic cover open to get access)

sometimes they are loose and it sounds like its coming from the roof.
I've checked them. My noise is definitely coming from directly above the driver's window next to my left ear. It is there regardless of whether or not the window is up or down. But is totally gone when the top is down, and doesn't come back right away after the top is put up. But it typically returns after a few miles.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
MattAu is on a distinguished road
I've checked them. My noise is definitely coming from directly above the driver's window next to my left ear. It is there regardless of whether or not the window is up or down. But is totally gone when the top is down, and doesn't come back right away after the top is put up. But it typically returns after a few miles.

Mine seems to have the same problem, I think it's the plastic? cover that goes across the width of the top. I can feel it through the headliner, it feels like a u-shape piece that wraps around a metel piece that goes across - if I am making any sense.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
louie007 is on a distinguished road
I have a 06 C2S cab. My top is navy blue, and I cleaned and dyed it a few months ago, which helped to even out the color. I'll need to dig out the receipt for the products I used and where I got them. Those circular marks are from the pads that rest against the top in the stowed position.

I have a rattle over the driver window, coming from somewhere in the roof mechanism. Initially the sound seems to be coming from the door panel, but when I move my head over to that area, it is definitely coming from the top, not the door. I've inquired at dealer and they've never had any luck finding it. I was also told it wouldn't be covered under CPO unless a defective part was involved. I have found that if I put the roof down and then up again, the sound disappears for a while. Sometimes, while at a stop light, I'll just release the roof for a foot or so, then put it back up, and it cures the rattle for a while. I have felt up in there and tightened torx screws in the frame etc, but have never found the specific cause. Let me know if you ever find it.
Would also be interest to know what product you use to dye , thanks

Old 05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm curious, as well. Is this the dye you used?

http://store.carcareonline.com/renov...terbottle.aspx

Old 05-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by vjd3
I'm curious, as well. Is this the dye you used?

http://store.carcareonline.com/renov...terbottle.aspx
Yes, that is it. It worked great on my blue top. I used a cleaner, let dry, then dyed it, let dry, and then applied Porsche protectant. Whole process took all weekend due to the drying cycles. I also masked off windows for the final protectant being sprayed on.