997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Research re 997.2 C4S & C2S

Old 06-02-2012, 07:44 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Research re 997.2 C4S & C2S

Hello everyone:

New poster here from the San Ramon Valley of CA. I am starting the process of deciding what I am looking for in a 997.2 coupe with a 6 speed. I know it will be an S but am curious about feedback from owners, present and past re the C4S and the C2S and their drivability for everyday driving. Not going to be a track car at all. Actually it will be my wife's daily driver for her 20 mile daily commute. Her last Carrera was a new 993 coupe that I sold after 6.5 years.

I also am curious about options I think I want PSE and PASM but what else should I look for. Is there a difference between a CPO car and a car that comes with the extended factory warranty?

I am already away to check the DME and to be concerned about cars with readings in the 4-6 range right?

BTW, I have an original '71 914-6 that is just beginning restoration/rebuild.
It will come back with a stock 3.2 with Motronic since the original motor was replaced back in 1980 by the second owner with a 3.0. Other than that it will essentially be stock.

Thanks for your suggestions, advice, experiences, etc. This would be my 7th P-car.

Michael

Old 06-03-2012, 08:27 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Wow; not one reply from experienced owners? Come on now someone has to have some thoughts on C4S v. C2S.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
When I was looking for my Carreras I drove both C4S and C2S. The 4S felt much more stable to me due to the AWD. It came with PASM and love that. I drive mine whenever possible, not a daily driver for me. I have a 6 Speed man. Didn't want to buy new have got a used one. Not a CPO however haven't had a problem in the 1-1/2 years of ownership. I wated the 997.2 because of the added HP but settled on a 07. I love the 4S personally and will get again.

You should get the Sports Chrono without a doubt. Pass on the PSE and get the Gundo hack for the exhaust. There is a shop in Brentwood that will do it for you, FD Motorsports. Car will sound amazing!!!

You will love the wide body on the 4S.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Thank you; that is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for. Thanks.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Volnomad is on a distinguished road
I have a 4S as well and am biased of course. Just love the wide-body. Unlike some on this forum, i actually like the Porsche Sport Exhaust and am glad my C4 has it. If you buy a pre-owned you really will not be paying much extra for a car that already has PSE.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:47 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Ok, I ll give you a different view. I drove C2s and c4s and liked the C2s better. Unless you are driving in snow I see no need for all the extra hardware in a 4 wheel drive system for a daily commute. I thought the c2s felt lighter and quicker. Plus the xtra $$ and maybe less fuel mileage on a c4s. Saying this, I would drive a c4s without a problem. Just some reason why my 1st choice was the c2s.
I searched for a CPO and thought it was important peace of mind and coverage.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM
ffwd is on a distinguished road
My 997.2 C4 is excellent in the snow and ice (with winter wheels and tires). Without snowy weather, track use or dirt/gravel roads, you might be better served by the C2 (lighter, faster accel, less parts/systems to break down). But I also love the wide hip look of the C4 over the C2 regardless of traction needs. I did not find it $worthwhile or necessary to go for the C4S, and the C4 suits my DD and some spirited driving needs (and future plans for autocross and maybe track). I love the Porsche dynamic headlights, comfort package (heated electric seats, dimming mirrors, etc), and am glad I have the rear wiper. One additonal upgrade I wish I had is the Bose stereo. Cheers and good luck on your next P car.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Katera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really niceKatera is just really nice
See my sig

Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Though the car would likely never see snow, we live in the SF Bay Area, my wife has always liked the wide butt on the 4S.....so I am pretty sure that is what it is going to be. I am pretty sure the 4S is the widest rear end Porsche made for these cars. Thanks to all who have replied; it helped me sort out my thoughts on the subject.
Michael

Old 06-06-2012, 02:45 PM
ufischer is on a distinguished road
This is my first 911 and it is a C4S so I cannot tell you how it compares with a C2. I can tell you that this car tracks incredibly and feels incredibly sure-footed on wet roads, which are plentiful in South Florida.

As for options, Sports Chrono is a must! I know lots of cars out there have a "sports" button and mostly it does nothing. In this car it transforms it completely. Its like owning two cars. But you can always add that as it is a software option (albeit a pricey one).

Old 06-06-2012, 03:42 PM
stevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura aboutstevefrommn has a spectacular aura about
C2's only for me in MN. Goes fine in the snow. Better in the dry. No need for 4 c2s already goes like stink and more nimble.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
You've got great answers so far. AWD isn't necessary in California but if you like the wide booty, C4S is your car. They drive very similar, the C4S feels more planted, stable, so it gives you more confidence to drive it fast. Most people don't know in normal driving, it's 95% RWD but can provide up to 40% to the front wheels when you get in trouble. The C2S drift a little easier. Either one will be fine, you'll learned to love whatever you decided on.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
nicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond reputenicoli has a reputation beyond repute
We bought our 2009 C4S cab in early Feb with 6600 miles. We have almost doubled that milage since with zero issues other than needing new tires soon. I look forward to rainy days here in the PNW, this car is more sure footed wet than anything Ive ever driven. Just amazing. Enjoy

Old 06-07-2012, 08:05 PM
tiyyara will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Katera
See my sig
I looked at your sig;
I am not sure what you are trying to point out:
1- biased because you have a C4
or
2- the typo (convertible vs covertible)

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tiyyara
I looked at your sig;
I am not sure what you are trying to point out:
1- biased because you have a C4
or
2- the typo (convertible vs covertible)

I don't think it's a typo. A Porsche 997 covertible allows the vehicle to remain undetected.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Research re 997.2 C4S & C2S