997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My new wheels: HRE C93

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
My new wheels: HRE C93

Have been waiting for a dry day to take some pictures (June is the wet month here...) and finally had a couple of hours when it was almost dry. Car and wheels are not super clean since the only nice weather has been while I have been at work...

Anyway, I thought I'd add yet another "new wheels" thread.

I stayed with 18" for the ride quality (I do not have PASM) and hopefully a new track will open this fall or next spring (our local track was closed last fall after many decades of heavy use - thanks to city hall...) and I prefer 18's for the track. (And I don't see me having dedicated track wheels).

I have always liked the look of three-piece rims (I know they are not for everybody) and I really like the color combo I went with: gloss charcoal metallic on the spoke-disk and the inner barrel, with polished lips.

Anyway, I really like them. I have wanted these particular rims for quite a while (I believe they use to be called C23 before the latest re-design to reduce weight).

Reduced unsprung weight by 4.2 lbs per rear wheel and 3 lbs per front wheel (and my HREs are wider) compared to the OEM Carerra III's. Not sure if that is significant, but seems like a nice bonus.

Many thanks go to Lon and Tito at HRE for answering all my questions.

Cheers,
John

Hmmmm. Can't seem to link to the pictures from Flickr (never done that before - seems like it should work, maybe I have a setting wrong) so here are regular attachments.

Attached Images     

Last edited by johnstoy; 06-24-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Spellin'
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Nice! Glad we could be of help.

The C93 replaced the C21, but that doesn't matter

Don't forget the unsprung mass changes since more of the weight is brought towards the center of the wheel with the Comp Series.

Car definitely looks track worth!

Let us know how it performs on the track.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Nice choice/ style with your car! Looks good!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
GS997 will become famous soon enough
Wheels look great with the color of your car. Congrats and enjoy in good health!

Old 06-24-2012, 05:45 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great!! What are our wheel and tire specs? Is your car lowered?

Old 06-24-2012, 07:55 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Beautiful......only have ny HREs for 2 weeks but I looooovvvvveeeee them!

Tom

Old 06-24-2012, 08:18 PM
fc2s will become famous soon enoughfc2s will become famous soon enough
Awesome, love the look, clean and unique.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Love the polished lips....my favorite part.

Tom

Old 06-25-2012, 12:37 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnstoy

Reduced unsprung weight by 4.2 lbs per rear wheel and 3 lbs per front wheel (and my HREs are wider) compared to the OEM Carerra III's. Not sure if that is significant, but seems like a nice bonus.
its very significant !

MOI - moment of inertia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia)

u lost 14.4 lbs of rotational mass.. FYI that is equivalent to losing 144 lbs of mass weight in terms of acceleration and braking.. which in turn is like shaving 0.15 sec off the 1/4 mile

plus less wear on brakes, tires, etc

ur car should feel more responsive and nimble.

BTW the wheel look great !

personally, i love 3piece charcoal gloss/polished lip combo.. ahem

C90 i have right now is the best wheel i've owned all these years !

HRE FTW !

Old 06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
very very nice

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
They look great. The extra tire the 18" wheel provides definitely comes in handy when the road gets rough.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM
997S.Aero will become famous soon enough
Like it! Would you mind sharing the widths, offsets and tire sizes? Also, is it lowered?

Congrats!

Thanks

Old 06-29-2012, 10:29 AM
johnstoy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the positive comments. I really like these wheels.
My car is lowered on Eibach springs.

I thought the improved ride and responsiveness was all in my head but it seems like there may be real improvement from the lowered weight. My wife also commented that the ride seemed better - without any prompting from me.

Anyway, I bought them for the quality and the look and could not be happier with the decision.

Cheers,
John