997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Interior Color Match Touch-Up Paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Try to get a satin finish if you can, which I think will match the finish of the Porsche plastic coating better. Also, when you paint, only paint the black exposed parts; try to fill it in, let it dry, and come back to fill it in again to "build it up." (Kind of like the way you would "build up" bumper rock chips.) Don't fall into the temptation of painting over, or blending it with, the soft-touch plastic that has not rubbed off; if you do, it will come out "lumpy."
will do. what's the best way to apply it? (brush, finger tip) I'm only touching up a 1 inch by 1/4 inch area

thanks

Old 09-10-2012, 08:51 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Use a little paintbrush from an art supply or hobby store (the kind you use for toy model kits or water colors).

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Update to my update...!!!

After simply assuming I had Sand Beige and getting a sample bottle too light, I decided to try again. THIS time, I thought I'd take an interior piece down to HD for a spectra-match on their machine. I removed the ashtray and found a sticker on it that said "Braun Natur," so now I KNOW I have a natural brown interior. The lady at the counter color matched the paint to the ashtray as closely as I could hope for, and all is right with my world.

The Behr Ultra HD color codes for Natural Brown in an 8 OZ sample are:

CL240 EL20 FL60 KXL21

The 12 digit code under the barcode is:

Last edited by JB in AR; 09-11-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
roelricardo will become famous soon enough
I am so happy mine is black!!

Old 09-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
You do know there are many shades of black, like there are many shades of white!

So does the HD paint have the plastic flexible stuff mixed in by default for it to stick to and work on plastics that expand and contract with the heating and cooling? IE after the parts go through a baking in the summer sun, and a freeze in the winter, will the paint be good or will it start to pull off the plastic or flake?

Old 09-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Minok
You do know there are many shades of black, like there are many shades of white!

So does the HD paint have the plastic flexible stuff mixed in by default for it to stick to and work on plastics that expand and contract with the heating and cooling? IE after the parts go through a baking in the summer sun, and a freeze in the winter, will the paint be good or will it start to pull off the plastic or flake?
Actually it's Behr brand paint samples, and 8 ounces of the stuff is enough to just about paint the entire interior twice over, so if it flakes off, I'll repaint those areas AND post about it. It would be great if a company came out with paint specifically formulated for interiors, but Porsche is the only car maker I know that has this soft touch crap, and I think they may have stepped up their game with the newer series and done away with it.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:12 PM
aa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond reputeaa909 has a reputation beyond repute
just got back from home depot. I took my ashtray for them to match and I ordered the satin interior behr paint. The lady running the computer said the black console paint has black, brown and violet hues. Anyway the sample seemed to match but when I got home and dabbed a little on it looked much too blueish vs the paint on the console so I wiped it off before it set.

open to any thoughts, ideas next steps?
thanks

Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Doug L. is on a distinguished road
I know you probably know this, but the color will change once it dries. You might want to test paint a piece of a manilla folder, let it dry and compare to the area you are trying to paint.

One other possibility is you are using satin. I had excellent results with ultra flat on a sea blue interior. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Doug L.
I know you probably know this, but the color will change once it dries. You might want to test paint a piece of a manilla folder, let it dry and compare to the area you are trying to paint.

One other possibility is you are using satin. I had excellent results with ultra flat on a sea blue interior. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.
i did let some dry on the back of the paint cap and it looks like a decent match, but the blue hue of the paint just freaked me out when I applied it on the console.

I may try to get a flat paint mix and try that this weekend

Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Natural Brown for 997 interior

This was done at HD on this date. Paint formulas change and the codes I got are different from the codes for the same color posted here in '12. The match is perfect.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
This is great news - thanks to all who have contributed. Can this paint be had in a spray can?

Matt

Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM
jfort is an unknown quantity at this point
how about gray interior?

Old 05-02-2017, 06:32 AM
randy5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
This is great news - thanks to all who have contributed. Can this paint be had in a spray can?

Matt
Here in Denver, there's an auto paint supply shop that will match colors and fill aerosol cans for spraying. I am sure there's likely one in your area as well (just need to call around and ask)...