997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Wet rear seat and floor behind driver 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
AlfieM is on a distinguished road
Wet rear seat and floor behind driver 997

Hi All

First time here!

I have a 997S coupe 2005 and last week discovered that the carpet under the rear seat pad and the floor behind the drivers seat was wet.

I took both rear wheels off at the weekend and blew out the drainage hoses out with an airline and they sounded clear around the sun roof.

I am at a loss at where the leak could be coming from. The car is in great shape with only 28k on the clock. I am thinking about calling in a glass guy to check the back window but I don't believe that this is the problem.

I am hoping that one of you knowledgable users may be able to give me some other things to try!

Many thanks in advance!

Paul

Old 04-29-2013, 10:55 AM
JT997 will become famous soon enough
Is the carpeted area at the bottom of your driver's door getting wet, too?

I had a problem in my old 997 that let water get through the internal door seals, and it would come out at the bottom. The carpeted area at the bottom of the door would get soaked any time it rained. I doubt that is your problem, because it never got so wet that the floor got wet, but I figured I would throw it out there as a possible start.

I'm sure someone else can give you a better answer.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
I am like JT997: when it rains hard, I have the carpet near the door sill, wet.

This is coming from the rubber gaskets no being water tight, and more specifically, near the bottom of the glass, and over the handle. There is a break in the gasket and water will rush in easily.

It has never been so bad as to soak the rear carpet, though...but I can see when driving a lot under the rain, how the water would eventually sip from the door sill to the rear of the car.

Yves

Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks JT and Yves

Really appreciate your replies

I have checked the doors and they seem fine. I try not to drive the car in the rain so am thinking that my weekly washing is causing the problem!

It seems there is more water in the seat than the floor which makes me think the water is coming from above. It seems that to remove some of the internal panels will not the easiest of jobs?

Do you know if there are any additional drains that I should be checking?

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
not sure about your year but there are drains along the front where the battery is too.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi mark

Also cleared the front drains prior to back.

Sorry I forgot to add this.

The only other point I have seen is the condensate for the AC. Is this at the front or rear of the car?

Thanks again all

Old 04-30-2013, 06:28 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
While I cant help with your specific year (it may be the same as my 997.2) , I don t know of any rear drains unless you have a cab. The coups only have sunroof drains ( I believe). Try opening the roof and pouring a cup of water down those drains first. Then I d run the ac and see if you get a puddle under the car as it should. If not I would look under the dash on the passengers side for the top of the AC condenser drain and blow some low pressure air thru it. Sometimes spiders make webs in the bottom end causing a clog or mold builds up doing the same.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:54 AM
Cheers Marc

Ill take a look!

Has anyone heard of the rear window leaking on a 997?

thanks

Old 04-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Alfi, In an attempt to help here s what I did that may or may not help you.
I ran my ac for 10 mins but I didn t get any water out the bottom of the car, so that test may not always work I guess.
I did take off the black cover on the passengers side footwell under the glove box. 4 black plastic screws. I am not sure but maybe someone can confirm that the black box under that cover which has a hose coming out would be where the ac water goes?? Any way, I carefully took the rubber hose off the hose it feeds into and blew some compressed air into it while I was there.
I also opened the sunroof and took a bottle of water and poured a small amount in both front corners of the roof. Water immediately came out behind the front wheels on both sides. Then poured a small amount on the outside of the track about halfway down the roof and water came out behind the rear wheels, again on both side corresponding to which sides it was poured in on. I have done the same test where the battery is stored and same results. Maybe someone will add to this but if those all drain out then maybe it s a door seal or window.

Last edited by cerbomark; 04-30-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM
cheers Mark

Everytime I seem to solve a problem.......

Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cerbomark
While I cant help with your specific year (it may be the same as my 997.2) , I don t know of any rear drains unless you have a cab. The coups only have sunroof drains ( I believe). Try opening the roof and pouring a cup of water down those drains first. Then I d run the ac and see if you get a puddle under the car as it should. If not I would look under the dash on the passengers side for the top of the AC condenser drain and blow some low pressure air thru it. Sometimes spiders make webs in the bottom end causing a clog or mold builds up doing the same.
I second this......... I had a torn sunroof drain tube (from a paintless dent removal dude & his tool). First big rain (fortunately for me the alcantara roof got wet first so I saw it quickly) water came in and rested under the rear seat.

The roof liner is removable without too much trouble.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM
vrnkc is on a distinguished road
How about staying in the car and having someone
use a water hose on the car and then feeling around the door seal area etc.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi All

Took the complete back interior out of the car today and found the leak to be from the rear quarter windows. Specifically from a rivet that was missing from the strip that holds the external seal (picture attached) the passengers side also has a small leak from a rivet hole that was elongated. Just to add the car is factory fresh so this issues must have been from new!

Hope this helps with others that may have the same issue but may not know about it as this was the first I have heard of this problem.

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1343
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	238091   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	238092  
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
That s strange, wonder why it never leaked before????

Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Maybe it didn't rain hard enough to show the leak until now. Or as OP say during his washing. Maybe the water pressure was higher this time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wet rear seat and floor behind driver 997