997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Best way to remove model designation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Best way to remove model designation?

Hi all!
I am planning on removing the big "Carrera S", which is kind of scuffed and worn-looking, and replacing it with a much simpler, and elegant "911 S" on the back of my car. Or I may just leave it plain, and clean.
What is the best way to remove the old designation without leaving any marks?
Any reccommendations for non-abrasive adhesive removers?
Any and all good advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

Abdon

Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Hey Abdon,

Some fishing line will help - squeeze between body and letters and pull gently to and fro. I`ve used Meguiars Bug and Tar Remover on the leftover adhesive only after you have washed the area down with water and removed the dust - comes off easily.

Cheers,

Old 08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
I had a little "ghosting" image of the Carrera after I took it off. I didn't notice it until the sun hit it just right. You might see some too, I used some polishing compound and re-waxed afterwards and now it's perfectly clear.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
Heating up with a hair dryer helps as well to soften the adhesive.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Abdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the roughAbdon is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the responses guys!
Will try to remove the letters today.
May even post pics when done!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
if you dont have fish line, use (waxed) dental floss. worked fine for me.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
Hair dryer and dental floss work just fine.Use a little polishing compound after.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
1. apply heat from hair dryer

2. gently use dental floss to wedge between

3. repeat 1 & 2 until the emblem comes off

4. use goo-gone with microfiber towel to remove glue residue

5. wash the area with soap and water. Rinse. Dry.

6. apply light polishing wax if u have 'ghosting' image

7. grab a cold beer.

BOL

Old 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM
roelricardo will become famous soon enough
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
There's usually some disfigurement of the paint where the old letters come off. Some are able to polish it out, others not so much. I use dental floss as monofilament is much thicker. Clean it off with Goo Gone or similar then decide whether you're going to replace it as it was or do the new 911. I would wait until it's prepped to decide/buy.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:24 PM
thrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to allthrashek is a name known to all
hot day... waxed floss... drying helps (high heat, low speed).