997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
i could swear that the wrench is to attach the hardtop for the cab....am I right??

Tom

Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tommyv
i could swear that the wrench is to attach the hardtop for the cab....am I right??

Tom
Yes you're correct but it is also used to close the convertible roof when there is an emergency. The book doesn't say what kind of emergency but I assume it's when the top won't close normally by itself. I would think it serves the same purpose for the sunroof on a coupe.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Exclamation U will need to get the Porsche "Bag" now...

Originally Posted by tommyv

Tom
I found this if it helps...?

The top removal is quite easy:

Remove the cover on the front latch (top center of the w/s) and release the lock
Find the red-handled allen wrench in your tool bag
Remove the two round covers at the rear corners of the hard top
Insert the allen wrench and turn counter clockwise until the dot on the lock mechanism lines up the the red dot on the same mechanism (you will see it clearly when looking down through the glass). Do the same for the other side.
Once you are sure that both the rear locks are completely released and the front is also unlocked, WITH A HELPER slowly raise the rear of the top about 7-8 inches, then back the top off the vehicle
Reinsert the two round covers into the holes on the soft top

Reward yourself by taking a spirited drive with the top down!

Old 09-21-2012, 02:49 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dadio
Yes you're correct but it is also used to close the convertible roof when there is an emergency. The book doesn't say what kind of emergency but I assume it's when the top won't close normally by itself. I would think it serves the same purpose for the sunroof on a coupe.
Thanks Dadio!!

Tom

Old 09-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by See U n Rear View
I found this if it helps...?
It never seemed quite that easy to me but I have next to no mechanical ability!!

Tom