997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
Newbie question

Ok folks I'm a newbie so go easy on me. Just took possession of my 08 C4S low mileage car. I seem to only have one issue with it (so far), the little red airbag light is on, any ideas? Also I got a funny looking Allen wrench along with the 2 keys, I give,...... WTF is it for? I used to race motorcycles and did allot of the wrenching myself so is there anything I REALLY NEED to know or do? Again newbie here. BTW found this forum online seems to be the most friendly.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
If you have a dura metric cable or access to one I believe you can reset the light. If not any Porsche dealer would be able to do it for you. If you go to a dealer I'd ask for a DME readout as well. That's assuming you didn't get one with your PPI.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:47 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Alan but forgive me what is a dme. Doesn't that have to do with avionics? I do not have access to dura metric cable. Also again what is that L shaped Allen with the red handle for.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
do you have a sunroof? i think that is for emergency sr closing...or maybe to remove headlights? just guessing, cause i don't have a sr...

Old 09-08-2012, 02:35 PM
It's a cabrio.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM

okay folks, what is this for?

Old 09-08-2012, 03:39 PM
p's pcar will become famous soon enoughp's pcar will become famous soon enough
I think you use that to manually open and close your convertible top.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by p's pcar
I think you use that to manually open and close your convertible top.
Yep.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:52 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GuzziGreg
Ok folks I'm a newbie so go easy on me. Just took possession of my 08 C4S low mileage car. I seem to only have one issue with it (so far), the little red airbag light is on, any ideas? Also I got a funny looking Allen wrench along with the 2 keys, I give,...... WTF is it for? I used to race motorcycles and did allot of the wrenching myself so is there anything I REALLY NEED to know or do? Again newbie here. BTW found this forum online seems to be the most friendly.

First, congrats on the car. There are a few Long Island members on the forum.

Have your dealer or Indy reset the airbag light after a thorough inspection. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 AM
Abenknock is on a distinguished road
I got the piwis cable
I bought this because the wanna to turn check engine light
then found that it can also turn off the airbag light

Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks lacrosse I may take you up on the PM as I do have a few Questions. BTW is it me or is this radio/nav really lacking. It seems arduous at best to use and... well not very good. Could be just me. My wife has 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that is incredibly easier and allot better. Can 4 years of technology make that much of a difference?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Thanks lacrosse I may take you up on the PM as I do have a few Questions. BTW is it me or is this radio/nav really lacking. It seems arduous at best to use and... well not very good. Could be just me. My wife has 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that is incredibly easier and allot better. Can 4 years of technology make that much of a difference?
It is NOT you...

The Porsche radio/telephone/NAV system on the '08 and prior is an overly complicated POS and a PITA to learn. Having to use a SIM card for the telephone is ridiculous when Bluetooth is a standard - even for the CDR-30 (the non-NAV Porsche system). I don't even think the NAV database CD has been updated beyond '08, either, and it shouldn't cost $300 to update even if it was. I personally have reason to think that whoever the disgruntled employee was who chose the vendor or that design either had it in for Porsche or was about to retire or move on, anyway. Hopefully, the new generation of 981/991 cars has a more user friendly and state of the art system that has Bluetooth and touch screen. There is absolutely no excuse for a car that is otherwise a beautifully designed machine to have this crappy system in it that even KIA would be embarrassed to put in their cars.

Rant off. (Sorry )

BTW, otherwise, congrats on your new purchase, and welcome to the P-car community. Please consider joining your regional PCA chapter. Owning one of these cars is as much the great people you meet as much as it is the cars themselves.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of

Get your post count up then you can PM!

As for the Nav system, it is cumbersome to say the least. And there are many threads on the quality (or lack thereof) about the "premium" Bose system. I can't get AM signals at all. But I would rather listen to the engine anyway so it doesn't really bother me (We should talk about getting you a Gundo Hack for your exhaust).

As it was explained to me when I first started to look at Porsche's (quoting the dealer here), "If you want fancy Nav, the latest technology and tons of luxury perhaps a Porsche isn't for you". Porsche's (at least up to the new 991) were always meant to be sports cars first and foremost. Loud, fast and well handing. There was no compromise (or even cup holders for the longest time; German engineers feeling that when you are driving you should focus on that and not a latte).

The newer Nav systems with touch screen are vastly improved. But technology like that isn't a reason to own a Porsche.

The suggestion to join the Metro PCA chapter is a good one. There are a number of great events to participate in and to enjoy your car even more.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I have a feeling that most Porsche sales people were coached to respond that way when anyone complained about the NAV/phone/entertainment system, as I'm sure they got MANY complaints. If driving was meant to be the only concentration for the operator, they would have accommodated that design philosophy by making the system LESS complicated to operate when driving. A similar "response" is attributed to Joseph Lucas in the early 20th century when asked why his auto lamps were so dim. His alleged response was "A gentleman has no business motoring around after dark , anyway."

Hey, at least the NAV/phone/entertainment system works - when you finally figure it all out.

Nice to know that the newer series have finally arrived in the 21st century.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys all. Ok then it's settled I will be changing the radio/nav soon. I mean I'm even having a hard time tuning in a radio station on this thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newbie question