997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

X-51 Carbon Fiber Intake upgrade done!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Dave's911 is on a distinguished road
Joel,
Been following your mods lately. The airbox and most recently the throttle body and plenum. I'm seriously thinking about going the same route, but I am a little intimidated about cutting the deck lid.
How did you go about making the cut? Did you cut from the bottom of the lid, or do you remove the spoiler and cut from the top?
Any photo's or tips for that process would be greatly appreciated.

Your car is looking great.
Dave.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dave's911
Joel,
Been following your mods lately. The airbox and most recently the throttle body and plenum. I'm seriously thinking about going the same route, but I am a little intimidated about cutting the deck lid.
How did you go about making the cut? Did you cut from the bottom of the lid, or do you remove the spoiler and cut from the top?
Any photo's or tips for that process would be greatly appreciated.

Your car is looking great.
Dave.
Hi Dave!

Cutting the lid wasn't a big deal. The X51 TSB included a template for cutting the hole in the right place without guessing games. I used a dremel tool with cut off wheel. and cut it from the bottom part of the lid. I raised the spoiler for just in case. I took my time and it came out perfect. After you cut the metal part, you are faced with a little plastic layer that cuts like butter and has the profile for the cut already... just follow that and you will be golden...

The mod is impressive but most impressive gains came from the plenum+TB+Airbox. I'm so happy now...

Old 10-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Hi Dave!

Cutting the lid wasn't a big deal. The X51 TSB included a template for cutting the hole in the right place without guessing games. I used a dremel tool with cut off wheel. and cut it from the bottom part of the lid. I raised the spoiler for just in case. I took my time and it came out perfect. After you cut the metal part, you are faced with a little plastic layer that cuts like butter and has the profile for the cut already... just follow that and you will be golden...

The mod is impressive but most impressive gains came from the plenum+TB+Airbox. I'm so happy now...

Thanks for the quick reply Joel. That doesn't sound too bad. I was thinking that I'd have to remove and strip down the rear deck lid, which inturn would then have alignment issues, etc. Thanks for clarifying.

If I go down the path I'll be doing the TB's and plenum too. Glad you're enjoying the upgrades.

Dave.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 PM
All my parts are on order, can't wait!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
what did you end getting? and what are you ping for the plenum/TB set up? maxspeed motorsport has a turn key solution that works out perfect!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
what did you end getting? and what are you ping for the plenum/TB set up? maxspeed motorsport has a turn key solution that works out perfect!

Carbon copy of your set up. Just ordered the intake from Porsche, TB and plenum from Maxspeed.
I'll be in touch if I run into difficulties with the install

Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 AM
please let me know if you need help... too bad you are not around Miami, otherwise I would help you!

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
AJG
AJG is on a distinguished road
amazing box! do you notice any gains? what filters do you use?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
increase in torque and hi-rpms... the power delivery got smoother. filters now are OEM, planing on replacing them with BCM