997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hardtop Retrofit Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
dastro has a spectacular aura aboutdastro has a spectacular aura about
Hardtop Retrofit Wiring Question

Hello,

I just bought a 996 hardtop for my 997.1 cab and ordered the retrofit kit (screw type) from Suncoast. My question is, how do you connect the new pin kit (mounted to hardtop) to the current defroster wiring?

The current bayonet pin on the driver's side is connected at the top to the window wiring. How will the new screw type system connect to the wiring?

I'm trying to find out before the kit arrives in case I need special tools, etc.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
The drivers side receiving lock that is attached to the roll bar frame of the car is connected to cars wiring harness by a plug locaed just below the lock. When the receiving pin makes contact with the lock it completes the circuit to the tops wiring for the rear window defroster.
When you get the kit it will include these locks which need to be installed in the car first. The drivers side lock will have the wiring plug attached to it. The corresponding plug is already in the car and it's just a plug and play set up. Little bit of a stretch to reach the female plug but you can only plug it in one way.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the response. I get the bottom part of the wiring, but how is the new hardware installed in the top connected to the existing wiring that leads to the window?

Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
The pin on the hardtop is wired directly to the rear defogger and acts as the electrical contact to the lock on the car. As the receiving lock has two the ground connection must be made at the same time. Not so far fetched when consider both parts are made of metal. The whole thing works the same way plugging something into a wall plug at home it just uses differnt shaped connections.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry to sound dumb, but what is the connection between the new top pin and window? Does the new pin plug into the window somehow?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by dastro
Sorry to sound dumb, but what is the connection between the new top pin and window? Does the new pin plug into the window somehow?
It plugs into the wiring harness for the rear defogger the same way the old one does. Should become more clear to you when get the new pin.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Got it, thanks. Did you use a torque wrench for tightening? How did you know you had it tightened enough to be perfectly sealed without scratching?

Old 10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by dastro
Got it, thanks. Did you use a torque wrench for tightening? How did you know you had it tightened enough to be perfectly sealed without scratching?
You use the red handled allen wrench that came with your car to use on the convertible top in an emergency. With that said, you've two issues with regards to adjustments for the initial fitting of the top. One is the adjustment for the distance the top sits above the rear deck. Only the seals touch your car, the hard top itself sits above the rear deck. The other would relate to your question regarding how tight to make the screws. I use older style bayonet type lock which are spring loaded so that they tighten themselves with an indent on the lock you must turn past to secure the lock. Am not sure how the screw type pins reach that point of sufficient tension torque but my quess is that there will be a limiter built in to the screws design that will in effect limit the force you can apply.
As for the adjusting the distance the top sits off the cars body, I'll see if I can find a link for you in that. The adjustment itself is made to the lenght of the screw pins which should have a seperate nut and threaded section as part of their design that would allow for lengthening and shorting of the distance they protrude from the body of the hardtop. Again, this will be easier to understand once you get them.

Last edited by Dadio; 10-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I was incorrect regarding about how the screw type lock pins work, owners manual says tightening torque for the locking pins is 34 ft.lbs or 46 Nm which would require a torque wrench and the proper sized hex drive.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:04 AM
997convertible997 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Daytona 996 to 997 hardtop retrofit / conversion kit ?

Hi,
I have been reading a lot here about 996 hardtop conversion to 997 and appreciated the helpful information there.
From what I have learned the easiest / most cost efficient way to mount an older style 996 (twist pin type) hardtop would be to just install the matching twist pin-type mounts.
Some people claim that Porsche changed them to the screw type because of problems but I had this type of mounts on my 996 C4 convertible and never any problems with them which makes my rather suspect that the true reason for changing the mount and locks is to make it impossible to fit 996 hardtop on 997 convertibles and buying expensive new hardtops instead or at least have to convert them with a lot of effort to the newer screw type pins….
The problem is now that the old twisted pin type mounts (part numbers 996.561.653.03 and 996.561.654.03) seem to be discontinued and not available from Porsche dealers anymore. The reason again would probably be that Porsche has not interested in people just buying the old type mounts and easily putting 996 hardtops on 997 convertibles that way…
Recently when I was trying to found some used old type mounts in the internet I couldn’t find any but I looks that these mounts have been remanufactured by some company called “Daytona” in a claimed improved version from mil-grade aluminum alloy and are now sold at a similar price like the discontinued cast iron original mounts.
This looks kind of interesting to me and could be a much cheaper solution and less effort than to convert the hardtop itself and later to have to readjust it completely.
Has anyone tried this part yet / any experiences?
You can find them here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-to-997-HARDTOP-CONVERSION-RETROFIT-INSTALL-ADAPTOR-ADAPTER-MOUNTS-/271761095467?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
or look for item No. “2717610954672” or “996 hardtop retrofit” on ebay

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 AM
997convertible997 is on a distinguished road

Here some pics - they look like the just like the discontinued OEM mounts to me, just made from more high grade alloy?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM
martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !martidamm Is a GOD !
What a hell happened?? I got my retrofit kit from suncoast last year and it only cost a couple of hundred dollars, I went on to their website and now they are $1000???? WTF? I wanted to post the link since apparently the new Allen screw type eliminates some vibration that the older Halfturn locks had, the 996 hard top that I Got had the older style male hardware my car didn't have any since it's a 997, so I just got the entire retrofit newer style installed in my car and exchanged it from the hardtop, but like I said last year it was only a couple of hundred dollars (confused??)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1428762651.jpg (607.8 KB, 82 views)