997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM 3.0 Bluetooth and iPhone 5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:47 PM
endo911 will become famous soon enough
OK. Update. Went by the Apple Store last week and they gave me a new iPhone 5. Haven't had a chance this week to play with the PCM until now. The little Bluetooth symbol is now on no matter what screen is showing, even the Lock screen. I go to the car and the PCM immediately sees the phone when Bluetooth is on and search for new device is selected. The PCM gives the 4 digit code in which to enter into the phone which I do. The phone shows paired, and a nano second later the device disappears from the PCM. The PCM stays visible on the iPhone but all attempts to reconnect through the phone say to make sure the device is switched on and within range. Attempts to find new device on the PCM show nothing. Back to the phone. Clicked on PCM and "forget" turned car off and back on and tried to restart the process over. No dice. PCM doesn't see the phone, and phone doesn't see the PCM. I'm confused.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:05 PM
And my MacBook and iPad can now pair with my phone and can use the phone through its hotspot. So I am back to thinking its a PCM issue.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Jungwook is on a distinguished road
Yes!. I know you've established that you had the telephony option installed but ... your symptoms are exactly like before I installed mine. Good luck!
Cheers

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by endo911
And my MacBook and iPad can now pair with my phone and can use the phone through its hotspot. So I am back to thinking its a PCM issue.
Can you pair something non-apple with the iPhone?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Yep. Was able to pair a Dual external GPS antenna that I use on my boat with no problems.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I constantly had problems with my 09 C2S. When I traded for the GTS the problems went away. I'm still on the iPhone 4S haven't tried the iPhone 5 yet.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Check the PCM firmware version (of no version info shows, its version 1.0).

I know there were upgrades that addressed a variety of issues related to phone and bluetooth over the years.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Bob.in.Dublin.OH is on a distinguished road
Still NOT working.

SAME PROBLEM. I recently traded for a 2010 Boxster S with PCM. It works fine with other phones but will not work with my iPhone 5.

My Porsche dealer looked at it and loaded the most current PCM firmware. This didn't help. I took the phone back to Apple. They ran complete diagnostics and the phone passed every test. It will pair with my other cars... just not the Porsche PCM.

My wife has a iPhone 4s and it pairs instantly. Apple even replaced my phone and the new one acted the same as yours. It seemed to pair the first time and then disappeared from the list of devices in the PCM menu and now neither the PCM or the iPhone can detect each other.

I've given the problem to PCA and hopefully they can shed light on how to resolve.

UPDATE 07/01/2013
Turns out my wife's iPhone 4s doesn't really pair. I tried to make a call using her phone after pairing and discovered the PCM 3.0 unit didn't accept the phone and my phone list is still empty. Very strange.

The Porsche dealer insists it should work. I have the PCM 3.0 w/navigation but do not have a build code on my car for bluetooth telephone connectivity... 619 - (Bluetooth Interface for Mobile). I'm beginning to think the dealer is wrong. I plan to try pairing other phone models this week when I see friends that do not have iPhones.

Last edited by Bob.in.Dublin.OH; 07-01-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-29-2013, 03:23 PM
Let me know if you hear anything from them. I have given up trying with 5.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 PM
DJSArcade is on a distinguished road
Guys, I pair my iPhone 5 with PCM 3.0 on my 2010 C2. It works great.

However, there were a lot of bugs when I was on the 1.0 firmware - I sprung for the map update (which is also a firmware update) and it fixed many things.

I no longer notice any bluetooth problems.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
Your car does have to have the installed Phone - Bluetooth option enabled and built in.
(Not the Phone (the car is a phone and you insert the SIM in to the slot).

All cars have the bluetooth hardware built in it seems, BUT if you don't have the Phone-Bluetooth OPTION installed and enabled on your care you will not be able to pair your phone.

So I'd first validate that the Phone-Bluetooth option is speced and installed on your car.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Bob.in.Dublin.OH is on a distinguished road
Minok - You are absolutely correct. The Porsche dealer insisted I had the Bluetooth option and that my phone was the problem. Their technicians (two of them) tried for an hour and gave up saying it was my iPhone 5. The dealer where I purchased the car is a 2 1/4 hour drive... so I called the manager and told him I was taking the car to a local Porsche dealer and was sure they could fix the problem under warranty. If there was a charge, such as needing to add the Bluetooth module to the PCM, I told him I'd send him the bill.

The manager asked if I'd please allow them one more chance to make it work. They had a more experienced tech check it out and found I was missing the Bluetooth option, which they added at their expense since they had represented the car as having Bluetooth at the time of purchase.

This is very confusing since the Bluetooth screen on the PCM appears as though it will work. Even more confusing since some phones would even pair with my PCM... but not function after pairing. Samsung Galaxy S3 for example would pair for me, but NOT WORK. Porsche IMO needs to change the firmware in the PCM so the Bluetooth screen tells you that the car does not have the option enabled.

Mine is working perfectly now and uploaded about 2K contacts to my PCM. It's a great interface when it works.

Thanks for your input - perhaps others facing strange PCM/Bluetooth failures can avoid some of the frustrations I went through. In total I fought the problem for over two weeks.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Yeah, the cars have a bluetooth radio.. so some device would pair.

But thats equivalent to taking a cat5 network cable and plugging it into a cat5 port on some equipment. You have an electrical connection but whether any useful data will flow across the cable that your device can use is a different question.

Bluetooth is 'the cable'. The Phone Option is the device at the other end of the bluetooth connection you actually need.

The PCM really should shut off its internal bluetooth tranceivers if there is no valid bluetooth option enabled (phone, or external handset, etc)

Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Rocco Magni is an unknown quantity at this point
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but you all seem to have had the same issues I am having and was hoping you could weigh in on the following:

I just bought a 2010 Carrera S and I am unable to connect my iphone to the bluetooth. My PCM 3 is running V.1.47. My buildsheet does not indicate any bluetooth options, but I definitely have bluetooth (I can turn bluetooth on and off).

However, I am still unable to connect. The first time I try to connect an iphone (tried mine and my wife's), I can see the PCM connection on my iphone and I can enter the code to create the connection. However, after entering the code it says connection unsuccessful. The phone does not appear on the list of devices on my PCM, but PCM is listed as an unconnected bluetooth option on my list of BT networks. Once I "forget" the network on my iphone, I cannot ever get PCM to appear on my phone again (not even to enter the code as I did the first time).

I suspect it is because the bluetooth is set to sim access profile (SAP), but my build sheet doesn't have the "telephone module-666" option which I thought was the only way to get SAP. Anyway, I assumed the issue was that my PCM was stuck on SAP and went to the dealership to have them switch my bluetooth to HFP.

Looking around on the forums, I found 2 ways to address the issue: (1) have the dealership "switch" the PCM from SAP to HFP; or (2) upgrade the PCM firmware from v1.47 to v2.24, which allows the PCM to automatically switch to HFP.

When I got to the dealership, they were unfamiliar with the issue but I let them know about the two above options. They were unable to get either one to work, so I am hoping someone can review what they did and help point them in the right direction.

Switching from SAP to HFP

I've seen a ton of posts referencing this option, but none explaining exactly how it is done. The tech at the dealership showed me the options on his laptop. I could see that bluetooth was listed as "installed," but something related to telephone was listed as "off" (I don't recall if it said telephone module or phone preparation or something else") but there was no way to select "on." We didn't see anything that would allow for a "switch" to HFP.

Does anyone know the specific steps to switch (like which subsection in Porsche's diag software and exactly which items to select and change)?

Upgrading firmware

Eventually we gave up trying to "switch" to HFP and tried to upgrade the software. The dealership found an old v2.24 disc (but did not have the maps disc that I understand is needed once the firmware is upgraded). They tried to install the disc but said they received an error twice. The error had a reference to v1.7. I think it was trying to require an intermediate upgrade to v1.7 before upgrading to v2.24. However, I was under the impression that you could upgrade to 2.24 directly from 1.47. Anyone encounter this issue?

Anyone have any insights into these issues?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 AM
powahousealex is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe the issue that most of you are having is not having the factory option below

619: Bluetooth Interface for mobile device.(I believe this was a small charge or free option during build)

Please be advised that Bluetooth is NOT a standard option on any model 997.2 (I have a 997.2 carrera s and gt3)

In order to have Bluetooth on these vehicles, option 619 (Mobile Phone Preparation) needs to be included in the order.
That is what shows on my build sheet from the factory. i have connected iphone 4 5 etc. and every android phone you can think off.