997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Disappointing Dyno Test Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by azqureshi
Ok...So I'll get the tune done...I was thinking APR....I was just worried about the warranty....It expires in 7/2013....Would the tune affect the warranty at all...Any suggestions on any other tuners....

I had a superchip put on my 1997 Saleen Mustang when I was in high school...I recall 2 days after putting it in the car wouldn't start and I had get a new ecu for 1200.00

A tune will void any claims relating to the engine/trans or components that are affected by a tune. Just for example, if your power window switch went out that would be covered.... I ve had several tunes on other vehicles but will not do so on the 911 until I have no warrenty... Way to expensive to throw away part of the warrenty. IMO

I just thought I would edit to say that maybe Porsche has a tune thru the dealer that may not void the warrenty... Don t know.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:55 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
others already stated the obvious:

- dyno is only good for establishing the base.. so when u add a performance mod, u can see how it affected ur overall power and how its delivered via the graph.

the number (hp / TQ) is somewhat arbitrary..

since there are different machines to measure with (i.e. dynojet, mustang, etc)..

and different ways to set up the machines..

and different variables such as weather (even humidity can effect the test result.)

Plus, most do not measure at the crank anyways.. the actual HP will be estimated. Anyways, this is not a measuring contest so u should be more concerned about the way the power is delivered.

next time, u should just rely on your butt-dyno and save urself the dough.

- just putting together different performance mods from here and there will not get u the result u want most of the times. Don't always rely on the Manufacturer's claim of HP/TQ gain and do your own due diligence.. and know what your are trying to accomplish with each add-on.

- since u already have some mods, u definitely should get a ecu tune to get the most out of ur add-ons. However, don't expect a mind-blowing result since u can only get so much out of our NA cars without adding turbo or S/C

- personally, one mod i can recommend to u is a light-weight & reliable wheels. not only does it enhance the appearance of your car, but the performance increase would be substantial.

Everyone here knows i am always talking about unsprung weight. I do so because its the only mod that can improve your overall performance such as acceleration, braking and handling. (Google it)

BOL

Old 12-14-2012, 12:04 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Ok...So I'll get the tune done...I was thinking APR....I was just worried about the warranty....It expires in 7/2013....Would the tune affect the warranty at all...Any suggestions on any other tuners....

I had a superchip put on my 1997 Saleen Mustang when I was in high school...I recall 2 days after putting it in the car wouldn't start and I had get a new ecu for 1200.00

Personally, I would wait until the warranty expires.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Personally, I would wait until the warranty expires.
Or never

I'm with those who prefer weight reduction and increased grip/braking as the best ways to increase performance. Tunes are low bang for the buck on NA engines, and can affect reliability (for me considering I have no plans to modify to the point it may be necessary). Gearing is a great way to increase torque at given speeds without affecting reliability, but not an option of me I don't believe. If I still lived in Germany, I would look into more downforce as well (front and rear).

Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Or never

I'm with those who prefer weight reduction and increased grip/braking as the best ways to increase performance. Tunes are low bang for the buck on NA engines, and can affect reliability (for me considering I have no plans to modify to the point it may be necessary). Gearing is a great way to increase torque at given speeds without affecting reliability, but not an option of me I don't believe. If I still lived in Germany, I would look into more downforce as well (front and rear).
+100

I couldn't state it any better. Without listing the many hours I spent working on my oil-cooled cars (suspension, aftermarket parts, etc.), the only one I can really appreciate was an excellent 'alignment job'.

I just could never outdo the Porsche Engineering Dept.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cab83_750
I just could never outdo the Porsche Engineering Dept.
Well said. I also believe you should buy the car which comes from the factory with the power you want, not modify to get it. If you have to have 500 hp, then buy it bone stock in whichever brand floats your boat. It's the only truly reliable option.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 PM
azqureshi is on a distinguished road
I just did the mods mainly for the sound...But I was keen to know if they actually improved the HP....Hey at least I didn't lose much HP...I'll stay away from the tuning but am keen to know what's people experience with them has been...

Old 12-14-2012, 11:34 PM
I'll stay away from the tuning but am keen to know what's people experience with them has been...
More fuel consumption. Power isn't free.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:25 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
I just did the mods mainly for the sound...
When I did the first mod on my 997, the Gundo Hack, I did it for the sound. I've heard that it decreases HP from some and increases HP from others. But to me it made me more engaged with the car. The increased sound at least made the car seem faster because I could better hear the engine react to what I was doing.

The sound is important!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 PM
dasams is on a distinguished road
So I took the 2007 997S the other day to the this Dyno place in Hayward, CA.....Got my results and wow was I disappointed....Not that I have major mods...But you would think the mods would add something....
Porsche will give you a whopping 23 hp for a mere $16,900 That ought to tell you something about how well these engines are tuned and the difficultly in extracting incremental hp. dave

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by dasams
Porsche will give you a whopping 23 hp for a mere $16,900 That ought to tell you something about how well these engines are tuned and the difficultly in extracting incremental hp. dave
Agree.

On a side note, aftermarket tuning is a squirrelly industry. They usually use peak hp figures to lure consumers, rather than results driven measurements like industry standard acceleration figures. I could care less about more peak power and would not want the rpm limits raised as to me it raises concerns of reliability. I care most about throttle response, especially at low and mid-range rpms. But I'm not willing to trash EPA values for small enhancements. So I'm content with the power I have, and only modded my exhaust to change the sound, although Cargraphics claims a mild power increase and my butt agrees.

Having said that, if our cars had terrible throttle response characteristics (big peaks and valleys) which begged to be corrected just to enhance drivability, then I could see going to the effort to change the tune. I had to do that with my motorcycle as it had a huge power dip right at the edge of the cruising rpm range. It was annoying to have a power stumble just as you started to increase rpms at cruising speeds. The race ECU and race exhaust system erased it perfectly, and also increased power considerably. Far more than one would expect from a NA motor, which was already very powerful to begin with.

Last edited by Steve997S; 12-15-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
I am pretty sure that the "stock" bhp that Porsche determines were done with 95 or 98 octane fuel, not the 91 crap we get here in CA