997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Launch control question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Launch control always fascinates me. Does Porsche cover your tranny if it breaks? I know that Nissan GT-R owners were blown away when Nissan tapped into their black boxes, discovered about the launch control being used a lot, and subsequently denied warranty claims.
When the GTR came out in 2009, Nissan never claimed that they had launch control on the car... It was more of a "cheat" from the car's electronics that could be used like a launch control function. Thus no warranty on broken parts.

Porsche advertised their aunch control function and it is even in the onwer's manual on how to use it and activate it. I dont think they would deny warranty if there was an issue.

Also remember that the first GTRs with the "launch control" had tremendous wheel hop, thus the broken parts... Now the newer GTRs that have an official launch control from the factory, operate flawlessly and there is no wheel hop...

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cab83_750
Some say, "to test your raw skills!"
If you were doing that you wouldn't be using launch control, where you only test your ability to drive a straight line. You'd be using manual shifting along with PSM off to test your raw skill.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eldertec
I don't "Turn Off PASM"
I do it at least once a week, it's a Blast!
Why do you turn off pasm,....my manual does not say that!
You CANNOT turn off PASM. Its a feature your car has or does not have.
Thats like saying, "turn off sun-roof". Its nonsensical.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Lol ^^

Old 06-26-2018, 01:48 AM
sweeeetlu is on a distinguished road
I have a question, I have a 2006 4S, auto, do I have launch control? I have looked in the manual but was unclear. Did the 2006 models come with launch control? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2018, 06:34 AM
wjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud ofwjk_glynn has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by sweeeetlu
I have a question, I have a 2006 4S, auto, do I have launch control? I have looked in the manual but was unclear. Did the 2006 models come with launch control? Thanks in advance.
No.

LC was introduced with the 2009 997.2 PDK models (if you added the Sport Chrono option).

Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
Someone took a PDK turbo once and did something like 100 launches in a row to prove the robustness of the PDK transmission and that the performance of the car didn't deteriorate as the # of launches climbed.

Launch control in a 911 seems awesome if it were a rental car. Would I do it to mine over and over, uh, no. Would Porsche deny a PDK warranty claim based on excessive use of launch control - can't see how they could make a case to do that since it's a feature of the car and how to use it is detailed in the manual. If there's not a disclaimer on that page or in the warranties manual, seems they're on the hook for it.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 PM
sandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud ofsandwedge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Petza914
Someone took a PDK turbo once and did something like 100 launches in a row to prove the robustness of the PDK transmission and that the performance of the car didn't deteriorate as the # of launches climbed.

Launch control in a 911 seems awesome if it were a rental car. Would I do it to mine over and over, uh, no. Would Porsche deny a PDK warranty claim based on excessive use of launch control - can't see how they could make a case to do that since it's a feature of the car and how to use it is detailed in the manual. If there's not a disclaimer on that page or in the warranties manual, seems they're on the hook for it.

I agree. Don't see how they could. I hate reading those manuals but I can't imagine they specify how many launches you can do before the warranty is void. As you say, it's a feature of the car and it's clearly described how to execute. There's no "wrong" way of doing it. Either you do it right or it won't happen.