997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Renting a Porsche Carrera S in Germany. Bucket list worthy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 AM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Thought about European delivery, but it only works if you buy a new car. Buying new is like flushing 25,000.00 in the toilet!!! To many low,low,low mile Porsche's that are immaculate to be found!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:57 AM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
What is the rental cost per day? In LA at Hertz it is $500 day for a 911.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 AM
2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold2005997carrera2 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by porsche12901
On our trip to Europe we ended up cruising on the Autobahn for quite a bit in a VW Passat. Not knowing the roads, we would get up to great cruising speed and then suddenly find traffic at a stand still! It happened several times as we entered more populated areas. However it also happend when you would swear you were in the countryside.

If you don't know the layout of the land your traveling in, you won't know which exits might be backed-up or what lays ahead on the road.
Totally off topic, but great to see a fellow series II Landrover/ 911 owner, I thought I was the only one.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sixgun95
$500 a day to sit in traffic on the 101. No thanks. As I wrote in the original post, $250/day and 120 miles.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:39 PM
MMK110464 is on a distinguished road
Personally, I would refrain from driving a Carrera at high speeds if the car is a rental. It is hard to believe that a rented Carrera is given the maintenance necessary to be safely driven at autobahn speeds; more so if you consider the abuse that they are subjected to.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MMK110464
Personally, I would refrain from driving a Carrera at high speeds if the car is a rental. It is hard to believe that a rented Carrera is given the maintenance necessary to be safely driven at autobahn speeds; more so if you consider the abuse that they are subjected to.
Doubt that is an issue. They are not older cars. 991's. I would feel pretty confident in their use on the roads in Germany. Unlike California, the Europeans take yearly vehicle inspections seriously. And rental cars are made for thrashing.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:53 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sixgun95
They were renting (back in 2008) for 200 Euro a day, included insurance, and 200KM (125 Miles).

Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MMK110464
When I rented the Porsche, it was new, with only 800KM on the car. German business practices are much different then those in NA

Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
colombiano is on a distinguished road
Good info, Thank you. I would definetely love to do this. Down the road.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I rented a 911 in Stuggart for the day and highly recommend it. I was bit disappointed there were not many open roads to exercise it, but was a great experience. I totally agree with previous post, it is best to call Avis at the Stuggart airport directly. They did their best to hold the 911 for me, what forgot to tell them I wanted a stick shift, and they "only" had a PDK, which was a blast.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:55 AM
Update!

Well, it looks like things are coming together nicely for Germany next month.

After nearly three months of trying, last night at 1am PST, I was able to purchase a Nurburgring Ring Taxi Ticket. 14 July. One lap by a race car driver in a BMW M5 on the old track. We are going to be at the track anyhow for the ADAC Truck Race that weekend so it works out perfectly. And of course we get to watch Nena at the Festival on Friday night (80's music fans will be impressed )

Additionally, I received word back this morning from the Porsche Factory that I also have a tour arranged for 2pm on the day I'm in Stuttgart visiting the Museum. I get to see the factory during the last week before they shut down for the summer. I am assuming this will be when they begin re-tooling to start production on the 918.

This day is starting out pretty well for a Monday.

Now, to top this all off DO I rent that 911??

Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a great trip. I live in Europe (Italy) for half of the year, and drive up to Germany frequently. In fact, I was in Stuttgart a couple of weeks ago with a friend who picked up his EuroDel MB GLK diesel. A couple of suggestions:

1) If you're a PCA member, take your ID card. You'll get free admission to the Porsche museum. It's way better than the old museum, but honestly the MB museum is in another league. Also, the Christophorus Restaurant at the museum is one of the best in Stuttgart, renowned for their meats. If you plan to eat there, make a reservation beforehand.

2) For driving at high speeds on the autobahn, you don't really need a 911. I regularly drive at over 120 mph on both the autostrada in Italy and autobahn in Germany with my little Peugeot 208. It has a 1.6 liter diesel, putting out 92 hp. You can drive extremely fast, or certainly fast enough, with your rented BMW. The 911 is perfect for enjoying the twisties, of which there are tons in Germany (and even more in Italy). If you're planning to be in Baden-Baden for example, the Schwarzwaldhochstraße is one such road. Lightly traveled, fantastic condition, and gorgeous.

3) Consider driving down to Italy if you have time. You can basically drive as fast as you want on the autostrada. Officially the speed limit is 130 kph, but there are virtually no speed controls. Just don't forget to pass only on the left, and pay full attention when driving (no drinking coffee, cell phone use, etc.).

Last edited by fastm3; 06-10-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM
1play is on a distinguished road
I rented a Porsche 6 years ago in Dusseldorf through a company called Auto Europe (207)842-200 for 2 days and cost was $692 for a Targa 4. It was a blast! If I remeber correctly I picked the car up at Avis. My wife/I drove down to Heitz castle which was approximately 40 miles away and on the way back we stopped in on the Nurburgring and drove the car on the track for 4 laps. Unfortunately, I was far less experienced than I am now and was passed by 2 VW beetles that were definitely tricked out. I want a rematch! Definitely rent the car and go to the Nurburgring!