997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Renting a Porsche Carrera S in Germany. Bucket list worthy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Renting a Porsche Carrera S in Germany. Bucket list worthy?

Question - has anyone rented/driven a Porsche 911 from Avis in Germany. Thoughts? Was it worth the $$? Will I regret it if I don't do it?

Current plan -

I'm heading to the Middle East and Europe this Summer for about a month. We've got Museum and Factory tours lined up all over Stuttgart and Ingolstadt as well as a planned stop at the Nurburgring for a trip in a 'Ring Taxi. Current plan is to take the high speed Thalys train from Paris to Cologne and pick up a BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo rental car for the week before dropping it off in Munich. I've driven an E350 in Germany before - enjoyed the opportunities to drive fast on the autobahn.

However, in my searching for rental cars, I came across renting a 991 Porsche Carrera S from Avis -

http://www.avis.de/Fahrzeuge/Prestige-Flotte

Price comes to about $250 a day with 200 Km (120 miles) free per day. The cost is steep as compared to $75 a day for the big BMW, the mileage limit is ridiculous, and it would be a pain to try and stuff all the luggage in the back seats and frunk but I suppose if we planned for it, we could manage. However can anyone weigh in here who's done this? Was it worth it? Will I regret it if I don't do it?

Also I found this weblink. It's kinda silly, but I enjoyed sending my wife a porsche style email.

Enjoy..

http://www.avis-porsche.com/

All the best, David

Old 01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
kiddoutlaw is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing....I am going to rent one when i plan my trip to Germany.....Just send my wife a message too...

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 PM
sixgun95 is on a distinguished road
I dont think its worth it. Very few areas if any on the autobahn have no speed limit anymore, not like it used to be.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sixgun95
I dont think its worth it. Very few areas if any on the autobahn have no speed limit anymore, not like it used to be.
I lived there through 2009 and there are a lot of speed limited sections. Luckily where I lived there were also a lot of unlimited stretches. Just depends on where you are. Germany is a very rules oriented place. Autobahns are very predictable, until you get some amateur foreigner on it who doesn't know the rules or customs.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Steve997S
Germany is a very rules oriented place. Autobahns are very predictable, until you get some amateur foreigner on it who doesn't know the rules or customs.
I don't think its just Germany. When I first moved to England in the late '90's and naively undertook a car on the M25 (which resulted in high beams and a two finger salute) I learned quite quickly that the rules of the road were different than the US. I wish driving in the 'passing lane' and undertaking were illegal here as well, but I digress...

Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 AM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Looks like a great trip planned! I will be taking notes, your trip is something I want to do as well!

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I lived in Germany from 2004 to 2008 and I can tell you that there are some areas where you can go fast. There are sections on the A3 heading toward the North Sea that are new and straight. There are also some areas on the A45 through the Sauerland that are without limit but with hills and high speed curves. One needs to understand that these sections of the Autobahn have only two lanes each way and require that everone drive strictly by the rules. Otherwize, a dissaster could result. Cruising at 150 mph on the Autobahn is probably better in something like a Panamera than a 911, however. I often drove in my VW Passat TDI at 125 mph on the A45 in good weather and traffic.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I rented from Avis back in 2008. Calling Avis in Germany was easier then calling the NA toll free number. The problem when I called, I was that you were asked to give 3 choices of cars to rent. I asked for a Carrera first, Cayman second and Boxster third. I ended up in a new Cayman S. It was fun to drive around Germany in a Porsche, as well the car found it's way on the Nurburgring for a lap

Here is my thread for that trip
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rburgring.html

Old 01-05-2013, 11:15 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Just make sure that you get familiar with the traffic laws in Germany. For example it's absolutely illegal (and in addition will bring the wrath of every motorist on you if you do it) to pass on the right on the Autobahn.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by NorthVan
, as well the car found it's way on the Nurburgring for a lap

Here is my thread for that trip
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rburgring.html
Wow, it would have expected that there was some language in the rental agreement which would not allow that.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
How about timing it with a Euro Delivery?

Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
Wow, it would have expected that there was some language in the rental agreement which would not allow that.
Apparently it is verboten for rentals to go on the ring, the Cayman didn't have typical rental license plates...so they didn't stop me from going out on the ring.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM
porsche12901 is on a distinguished road
Be Careful!

On our trip to Europe we ended up cruising on the Autobahn for quite a bit in a VW Passat. Not knowing the roads, we would get up to great cruising speed and then suddenly find traffic at a stand still! It happened several times as we entered more populated areas. However it also happend when you would swear you were in the countryside.

If you don't know the layout of the land your traveling in, you won't know which exits might be backed-up or what lays ahead on the road.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by porsche12901
On our trip to Europe we ended up cruising on the Autobahn for quite a bit in a VW Passat. Not knowing the roads, we would get up to great cruising speed and then suddenly find traffic at a stand still! It happened several times as we entered more populated areas. However it also happend when you would swear you were in the countryside.

If you don't know the layout of the land your traveling in, you won't know which exits might be backed-up or what lays ahead on the road.
Having been to Germany many times over the past 15 years, the roads can be anywhere from a nightmare to an absolutely dream to drive on. Worst trip was Frankfurt to Berlin. The A2 was backed up for 20 miles. 20 miles?? I sat on the hood of the big Mercedes Benz I rented for 4 hours waiting for a wreck to clear up. Best trip was on a Sunday morning, Leipzig to the Dutch border. Averaged 105 mph on that trip, clocking speeds over 135 mph for long stretches. With no big trucks allowed on the road on Sundays and mostly unlimited speed limits.

Last edited by daberlin; 04-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
shoss is on a distinguished road
I'm actually from Stuttgart and I can highly recommend the A8 from Stuttgart to Singen (Lake Constance) which is 90% unlimited and depending on the day and time fairly open with traffic or a short trip the A8 towards Ulm which is partially unlimited but has usually more traffic. But in general I'd rent one at least for a day to enjoy the drive to Lake Constance in the morning via the Autobahn doing high speed and then in the evening back using the twisty backroads over the "Alb" which also offers lots of nice dining options.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renting a Porsche Carrera S in Germany. Bucket list worthy?