997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Front Brake Pads DIY Question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
997 Front Brake Pads DIY Question!

Need to get front pads replaced , am I correct in needing all these parts in order to do the job?

OEM Pads ($145) - does anyone recommend an alternative?
Front Sensors ($70/pair) - do these need to be installed or can just go without them?
Caliper Spring Set ($28) - is this necessary as well?

Whoever ordered parts and did the DIY please help me out! Tried looking through various threads with no clear answer on whats absolutely needed.

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:12 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
Pads only for the fronts. You will only need the sensors if you are careless while removing them from the current pads.

Rears, it's recommended to install new caliper bolts as well.

First time you attempt to do all four pads plan on two hours. Next time less then one hour. It's a super easy job!

Best of luck : )

Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 PM
socialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to allsocialpro is a name known to all
Originally Posted by VID997
Pads only for the fronts. You will only need the sensors if you are careless while removing them from the current pads.

Rears, it's recommended to install new caliper bolts as well.

First time you attempt to do all four pads plan on two hours. Next time less then one hour. It's a super easy job!

Best of luck : )
Thank you - so I will be OK just replacing pads and thats it? Might get the sensors as well for peace of mind. Hope that gets rid of the brake warning light on the dash at all times now!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:31 PM
VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !VID997 Is a GOD !
^^^ Yep.

I used the thread below when I first did mine. Obviously I only used the information that pertained to the pad swapping and I used wooden shims to push the pistons back. You can also use your hands if you are man enough. I might invest in a pad spreader one day.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...onversion.html

Last edited by VID997; 02-02-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
johnnyb2016 is on a distinguished road
I'm fitting Pagid RS 4-2 pads in the front of my C2S, std pads by Pagid in the rear.
Genuine pads are expensive, you'll get alternatives from Textar, Mintex or Pagid from the likes of Pelican.
If the light is on, one of the sensors has worn through.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Are front brake pad dampeners reusable? So if the warning light is on for brakes, sensors must be replaced as well - anyone try aftermarket sensors? I believe this is the first time pads are changed (car has 30k miles)

Last edited by socialpro; 02-02-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I think by "dampeners" you are referring to what I call the anti-squeal shims. Those are reusable. You may be getting a warning light because the pad has warn down to the sensor. The sensor may or may not be shot. I'd order new ones just in case. It's also easy to break one when changing pads.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM
The anti squeel shims are adhesive so doubt if you'll be able to use them again. you could try double sided tape though.
If the senors are the same as mine, pin type, then they put the light on once the red wire that runs round the sensor is broken.
There are "horse shoe" type sensors as well though.
I would think aftermarket ones will be fine as long as you get the correct ends and length. Porsche will be buying them in from someone, not manufacturing them.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:18 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by socialpro
Are front brake pad dampeners reusable? So if the warning light is on for brakes, sensors must be replaced as well - anyone try aftermarket sensors? I believe this is the first time pads are changed (car has 30k miles)
Not sure on the P car but on Mercedes the sensors can be reused after they set off the light... When they are backed off from touching the rotors(due to the pad being worn and thin) with the new pads the light is no longer triggered.... Someone can confirm if this systems are the same or not.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Front pads and sensors ordered...just one other thing...is there no way to tell if the warning refers to the front or rear pads? I just assumed it was the front bc they looked more worn down so gonna start with those first...any insight...?

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
Originally Posted by johnnyb2016
The anti squeel shims are adhesive so doubt if you'll be able to use them again. you could try double sided tape though.
If the senors are the same as mine, pin type, then they put the light on once the red wire that runs round the sensor is broken.
There are "horse shoe" type sensors as well though.
I would think aftermarket ones will be fine as long as you get the correct ends and length. Porsche will be buying them in from someone, not manufacturing them.

You can reuse the shims. I take them off and put them back on every time I change pads to go to the track.

The shims are not adhesive. Do not use double sided tape. The heat generated by the brakes will melt and burn it and likely make a mess. If there is any adhesive it is from an anti squeal spray that has been applied to the back of the pad. I often use the spray because I have it in my garage. Not sure if it helps at all. You do not need it to reinstall the shims.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
As I said, the dampers ARE adhesive!!
I have a full set of fronts and rears here as they are not meant to be re-used.
They are designed to stick to the pad and be supported in the piston to reduce braking resonance.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyb2016
As I said, the dampers ARE adhesive!!
I have a full set of fronts and rears here as they are not meant to be re-used.
They are designed to stick to the pad and be supported in the piston to reduce braking resonance.
Searching around some more, it appears that other forum members who have done the pad swap DID reuse dampers with no issues. One example is below:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...l-weekend.html

Im not replacing these unless someone brings up a reason to...?

Last edited by socialpro; 02-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Your car is your own, that's up to you.

Here's an extract on pad replacement from the Porsche Workshop Manual:

Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM
2/9 UPDATE

FRONT Pads and sensors replaced. Pads are STOPTECH, bought on EBAY for $75

Sensors were $10 a piece ($20 total)

Amazon Amazon

and

Amazon Amazon

Dampeners were REUSED. Absolutely whisper quiet brakes, performance is better than stock with the STOPTECH pads (better initial bite). Sensors took of the error message on dash and everything was a perfect fit. Save your $$ over the OEM sensors that run $70/pair.

Total cost of PAD and SENSOR replacement - $95!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Front Brake Pads DIY Question!