997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Atlas grey with Cocoa leather? Seen one B4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I agree the OP should not worry about anything but what he likes, but if you think colors like Cocoa Brown have been around as long as the Automobile itself I disagree. Brown or tan have, but dark brown like Cocoa you could not give away 10-20 years ago. I can not recall ever seeing a car in the 90's with Dark Brown leather especially a sports car.

For what it is worth I love Red, I actually love Blue as well, and I owned an M3 with the Natural Brown leather that was my favorite interior color I have owned.
I didn't say colors like Cocoa have been around as long as the automobile itself, I said Brown.

I agree that Cocoa is more of a modern color for a Brown type of leather, like Cinnamon and Terra Cotta as well. I also agree that Brown's popularity runs in cycles, regardless of the shade (IMO), while Black and Tan/Beige remain constant as popular leather colors. But I really think Brown exteriors are what became very unpopular for a while and are now back in.

Brown interiors have been present in sports cars throughout the past century. For example, the classic 1930's Bugatti sports cars (seen here with dark brown) and the 1950's Mercedes 300SL Gullwing.

With regards to not seeing a color like Cocoa in the '90s, here's Porsche's Boxster concept car sporting a Brown interior color. Cocoa leather was available for the 996 Carrera & 986 Boxster as well. Both cars were introduced in the '90s.

While Cocoa isn't for everyone, I really do doubt in 10 years time people will say "what the hell was he thinking?" OTOH, Brown was so popular in the '70s, perhaps some rejected the color 20 years later, thinking that's my parent's color - no way I'm buying that color... .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bugatti_Type_51A.jpg
Views:	2743
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	226619  
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Carnut12 is on a distinguished road
Got it, I actually like it, but out of the Browns it is the last one I would pick.

Natural Brown to me is timeless.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I agree the OP should not worry about anything but what he likes, but if you think colors like Cocoa Brown have been around as long as the Automobile itself I disagree. Brown or tan have, but dark brown like Cocoa you could not give away 10-20 years ago. I can not recall ever seeing a car in the 90's with Dark Brown leather especially a sports car.

For what it is worth I love Red, I actually love Blue as well, and I owned an M3 with the Natural Brown leather that was my favorite interior color I have owned.
you've seen every car made in the 90's?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by krysFly
you've seen every car made in the 90's?
Where in my post does it imply anything of the sort?

Maybe you need to read it again

Old 04-01-2013, 06:34 PM
krysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant futurekrysFly has a brilliant future
here you go guy,

"I can not recall ever seeing a car in the 90's with Dark Brown leather especially a sports car"

so how many cars exactly have you seen? I guess if you didn't see, it doesn't exist.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by krysFly
here you go guy,

"I can not recall ever seeing a car in the 90's with Dark Brown leather especially a sports car"

so how many cars exactly have you seen? I guess if you didn't see, it doesn't exist.
Maybe things were different in the schools we both attended.

To me that means out of all the cars I saw in the 90's I can not recall a Dark Brown leather interior.

Nothing says I saw every car and nothing says if I did not see it then it does not exist. How you think my post implies this is beyond me.

Last edited by Carnut12; 04-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 PM
absolutely correct...it's beyond you.

Kidding

Unless you are an automotive journalist, the fact that you did not see a brown interior car, does not mean they did not exist. In the 90's I had two cars with dark brown interior, I guess I was extremely lucky. That's why I was bothered by your statement.

Right now out of the 4 cars I own, 3 have dark brown leather.

That is all.

Happy "fools day"

Last edited by krysFly; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
PatrickBateman is on a distinguished road
OP here... Im really enjoying the back and fourth in this thread. Ive found much more civility on this and MB boards, versus the Audi boards ive been accustomed to. Nice to see a few people disagree a bit once in a while and throw an elbow here and there! Meanwhile, Ive got to find one of these cocoa jobs close to me to look at first hand.

Patrick.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Luckymba is on a distinguished road
Love the handle btw. It's been a while since I've seen the name.

"I have to return some videotapes"

Old 04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
TomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the roughTomE is a jewel in the rough
Cocoa interior

I've got GT Silver over a Cocoa full leather interior.
Never ever expected that combination to be something I'd have liked.
Wrong. Way wrong.
It's warm and rich, without losing any of the sporting character.
To each his own. There's just no way I think it looks dated or trendy.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:32 PM
SoCal997 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Hello...Interested in Atlas Grey in a 09-10 S coupe. Has any of you seen cocoa, which looks to be a variation of a rich chocolate brown interior paired with this Atlas grey paint? I am trying to invision the 2 together, have seen some crappy online pics in bad lighting, and im just unsure if this would be considered "desireable" combo? My initial thoughts would be a tan of some sort, as the Atlas seems to cast black and blue also for color family? I really have not seen cocoa in any cars as of yet until now.

Thanks for weighing in.! Happy Easter/Passover holiday to all.

p.s. Also looking at meteor grey... not as dramatic of a color to me...but safe, classic,easy to keep looking clean.

This is a late reply but I have an Atlas Grey w/ Cocoa Brown leather C2 coupe (see pics). The interior color is what pushed me to buy this particular 997 vs. my other choice (a black/black C2).

IMHO Atlas Grey is a pretty 'safe' color. It looks more blue than grey most of the time. I didn't love the color at first but it's growing on me.

During the day, the cocoa leather looks very dark/almost black to most people from the outside even without tints. At night it's difficult to see that the interior is dark brown from inside the car. I prefer the cocoa over the natural brown interior in my cayenne (955).

I'm afraid the dark brown may not show well during the day with tints so maybe I'll try tinting at 60-70%. I can send you pics next week once the work is done.

SC997

Old 07-16-2013, 09:47 AM
SoCal997 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SoCal997
This is a late reply but I have an Atlas Grey w/ Cocoa Brown leather C2 coupe (see pics). The interior color is what pushed me to buy this particular 997 vs. my other choice (a black/black C2).

IMHO Atlas Grey is a pretty 'safe' color. It looks more blue than grey most of the time. I didn't love the color at first but it's growing on me.

During the day, the cocoa leather looks very dark/almost black to most people from the outside even without tints. At night it's difficult to see that the interior is dark brown from inside the car. I prefer the cocoa over the natural brown interior in my cayenne (955).

I'm afraid the dark brown may not show well during the day with tints so maybe I'll try tinting at 60-70%. I can send you pics next week once the work is done.

SC997
With pictures added...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LAMBOCHASE.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	260942   Click image for larger version

Name:	977955.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	609.6 KB
ID:	260943  
Attached Images