997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Suggestions for drying car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
baziturbo will become famous soon enoughbaziturbo will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mxp
i use my trusty stihl leaf blower ...
do you wipe down afterwards?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
SHAMWOW!! LOL

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the ideas guys. Ended up ordering some Cobra waffle weave microfiber towels from autogeek.net. Will let you all know how they work out. I've got a water blade too, somewhere in my basement. Maybe I'll dig it out and give it a try, since some of you guys seem to like it so much.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Looks like you made up your mind. But just in case...

Leaf Blower - This is clearly common and professional detailers use it for sure. You will want to be sure to use an electric one. If you care enough to wash your car and make sure its perfect, the gas version will blow of residue during use that could deposit on your newly cleaned car.

Water Blade - I would NOT recommend using this. And I dont know any pro detailer who would. No matter how confident you are with your skills or the blade, there is a large potential to cause scratches. Think about it...If anything falls onto your car after you wash it and you use a tight pressed blade to squeeze water off you could very easily catch some debris and then drag it against the paint. If you are trying to minimize potential, this is not how to do it.

Drying Towel Options - Long gone are the days of using a real chamois. They are animal hide and dont last that long, plus you can do better easily. Like using a synthetic chamois. Though even this can easily be beat. Dont use a house towel, they are not designed to dry paint and clear coat. Your best bet is a waffle weave microfiber towel. Its plush enough to suck up small debris and not let is just scratch over the surface. I get all of my stuff from www.detailersdomain.com. I am not affiliated with them at all, but their products are always top notch. If nothing else, read their write up about their drying towel http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams...wel_p_510.html

Hope that helps.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
arash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to beholdarash is a splendid one to behold
Just tried an electric leaf blower for the first time yesterday. Wow. Only needed a tiny bit of cleanup with a waffle-weave, and then little microfiber rags for nooks and crannies. I'd say drying took about 1/10 as long as it usually does, with far superior results, too.

Last edited by arash; 04-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Can anyone recommend the best electric leaf blower for this application?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Been using a real chamois and figured a blade would scratch the paint more. Now I think the chamois probably has as much chance of scratching it as a blade!

Thinking about a leaf blower. Got one of those little Griot's car vacs, but it isn't powerful enough for the job - even though that's the way it is advertised. So, don't buy that one thinking it is dual purpose.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by arash
Just tried an electric leaf blower for the first time yesterday. Wow. Only needed a tiny bit of cleanup with a waffle-weave, and then little microfiber rags for nooks and crannies. I'd say drying took about 1/10 as long as it usually does, with far superior results, too.
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Can anyone recommend the best electric leaf blower for this application?
I'm sold on the electric leaf blower, I see some on home depot for $30, need some recommendations.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I have a Toro model, cost about $70 at HD. A cheaper one may work for drying car but I have a 1 acre parcel loaded with oak trees and I use mine for decks, carport, driveway, gutters.. Dries it very quickly. Quick wipe with towel and a quick wax with detailer, looks new again.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
I can across this the other day. http://www.purewaterproducts.com/gardenhosefilters.htm Might be a cheaper option then some of the other filters out there.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
I've had my Toro electric leaf blower for many years, and I can highly recommend it. It's been trouble free, and is pretty powerful too.

I just hate all that noise, so I hardly use it now.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Ynot
I'm sold on the electric leaf blower, I see some on home depot for $30, need some recommendations.
I bought mine from Home Depot specifically for drying my car (and only used it for yard stuff afterwards LOL), love it, just get one that has a 200mph rating and it should be fine. And for those who don't like the noise, like others have recommended, just put on some earplugs/muffs. The time saved drying with a leaf blower is totally worth the minor inconvenience of putting on some earplugs!

And watching all those water drops fly off effortlessly is really gratifying...

Last edited by Scoper; 04-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Scoper
I bought mine from Home Depot specifically for drying my car (and only used it for yard stuff afterwards LOL), love it, just get one that has a 200mph rating and it should be fine. And for those who don't like the noise, like others have recommended, just put on some earplugs/muffs. The time saved drying with a leaf blower is totally worth the minor inconvenience of putting on some earplugs!

And watching all those water drops fly off effortlessly is really gratifying...
Thanks! I have a gas one but I don't think I am going to use that one. I also have an electric one that my wife won from work, just remember that, I'll see how that one works out before I go out and buy a 3rd one.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I see one from Craftsman for about $60, which also bags leaves and has good reviews. Think I might pick that one up, especially since it has potential dual purpose.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM
griffinto is on a distinguished road
Here is my setup for washing and drying at home. Takes less than 20 Mins. Check out Foam Lance on Youtube its pretty amazing!

Powerworks 51102 1700 PSI Electric Pressure Washer 1.4GPM with Quiet Induction Motor

Professional Foam Lance Adjustable with 32 oz. Bottle

Chemical Guys (CWS_101) Maxi Suds II Superior Surface Shampoo - 1 Gallon

Griot's Garage 11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for drying car?