997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Suggestions for drying car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:46 AM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
Suggestions for drying car?

How do you dry your car, after washing it? Do you use a chamois, and if so, a natural or synthetic one? Which brand, and where do you suggest buying car care stuff from.

I've been using a P21 synthetic chamois, but the thing start disintegrating after a relatively short time, and leaves little pieces all over the car afterwards.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 AM
911Stud will become famous soon enough
No, chamois can become abrasive over time.

Waffle weave microfiber towel is the way to go. They are pricey for a drying towel, but they are phenomenal. Check it out!

http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/

By the way I am NOT affiliated in any way with Detailed Image, but I do buy all my products from them.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 AM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I use my leaf blower to get the majority of H2O off, works great, blows the water out of cracks etc. then I dry with bathroom towel. Im not to sold on the micro wipe things, tried them, didn't like.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:00 AM
911Stud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by barncobob
I use my leaf blower to get the majority of H2O off, works great, blows the water out of cracks etc. then I dry with bathroom towel. Im not to sold on the micro wipe things, tried them, didn't like.
Haha, I use my leaf blower for the cracks and wheels as well. The trick about a microfiber towel is finding the right one. The cheap ones do a terrible job and leave streaks behind, some even disintegrate. A good microfiber towel will do wonders!

Old 04-06-2013, 12:37 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
"How do you dry your car, after washing it? "
Drive really really fast!

Actually I use a car squeegie then a terry towel

Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM
RickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud ofRickinColorado has much to be proud of
I use a squeegie for the big stuff, followed by a Master Blaster for the final product.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM
farfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond reputefarfel has a reputation beyond repute
Drying

Dont need to dry when I rinse w my de-ioniser.
No water spots either w a Black car in the Sun.

Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I use microfiber towels and then go for a quick drive on the highway to blow the drips out of the nooks & crannies. Then I go home and wipe down with detailer.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by farfel
Dont need to dry when I rinse w my de-ioniser.
No water spots either w a Black car in the Sun.
What kind of power washer is that? I like the hose reel on it!

I have the same de-ionizer and use a power washer to minimize water use. The de-ionizer helps a lot, but I'm not sure it is 100% free of spotting sometimes. I still find myself wiping off residual drops, especially on windows. I use older bath towells that are washed without much detergent and dried without fabric softeners. I think a good blower woiuld be very helpful, but haven't sprung for one yet. I think filtered air would help reduce the chance of blowing dirty air on the wet car.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:40 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Compressed air, microfiber waffle towel.

If I had a black car I'd totally be using that de-ionized water setup.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:00 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
Add Content

Old 04-06-2013, 02:01 PM
MIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud ofMIkeGTS has much to be proud of
I drive 190mph- that does the trick!!

Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Austex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud ofAustex911 has much to be proud of
I use the leaf blower and then the microfiber towel and then a final pass with detail spray wax.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:12 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
squeegee for the heavy stuff then a micro towel using a little WAX WHILE YOU DRY spray while drying. It seems to dry with less wipes with the spray.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 PM
fastm3 is on a distinguished road
Leaf blowers are too loud for me. The de-ionizer, while it would be ideal, is probably too expensive and too involved a solution. The squeegee I think would work best on a more angular car with more flat surfaces, not a curvy car like a 911. So at this point, I guess I'll try the waffle weave microfiber towel idea. I do have a lot of old cotton bath towels, but they're kind of heavy and cumbersome, and might scratch or deposit lint.

Thanks for all the ideas guys!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for drying car?